UKC

Lapwing displays

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Watched some Lapwings whiffling* on Sunday. Astonishing displays twisting all ways; might be a normal mating display, but looked like they could be doing it for fun as it was more extreme than I’ve ever seen.

I’ve seen Peewits, as I knew them as a child, for a long time, but I’ve never noticed them being more or less fully upside down for such considerable distances at high speeds. A few times they got to about 3 m off the ground being upside down before turning over. Their head seemed to be rotated near 180° at times. Stunning manoeuvres, masters of aerobatics.

A few photos. Pity it wasn’t video!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiffling

Post edited at 11:55

Lankyman 09 Apr 2024
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

On the moors of my youth there are the ruins of a farmhouse called Peewit Hall. I always associate the name with roaming free on the heights and love to see and hear them. Curlews too.

Bobling 09 Apr 2024

Great pics!  I've only ever properly seen Lapwings in the UK once when I was walking the Ridgeway, but still remember their astonishing aerobatic ability.  They made such an impression on me that more than 20 years later and several continents away I saw something unidentified and the answer bubbled up into my mind "Looks like a Lapwing" and verily it was so, just a different sort. 

p.s Where did you see these? 

Post edited at 14:36
 Harry Jarvis 09 Apr 2024

I had the pleasure of watching lapwings yesterday on a local walk. As you say, their prowess in the air is remarkable and a pair of them did a very good job of seeing off a marauding crow. 

To me, they are one of three species which act as harbingers of spring, along with skylarks and curlews. 

Fat Bumbly 2.0 09 Apr 2024
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

Much of our farm was out of bounds as a child due to the river, so being taken down to see the plovers was a well loved treat. In 1973 we stopped dairy farming and went to intensive grazing by sheep.  The plovers left almost immediately.  My dad blamed badgers - sheep are supposedly rather partial to lapwing.

In reply to Bobling:

> p.s Where did you see these? 

These ones were at Letham Lochs, N Fife. I’ve seen them nest in the arable field right next to the eastern loch last two years. There were only six that had returned so far to that arable field by Sunday. They were vocal - can just make out the open mouths of those displaying in some of the photos.

Harry Jarvis 09 Apr 2024
In reply to Fat Bumbly 2.0:

> Much of our farm was out of bounds as a child due to the river, so being taken down to see the plovers was a well loved treat. In 1973 we stopped dairy farming and went to intensive grazing by sheep.  The plovers left almost immediately.  My dad blamed badgers - sheep are supposedly rather partial to lapwing.

That's interesting. The lapwings I saw yesterday were in fields beside the upper reaches of the River Almond in Perthshire, with sheep in adjacent fields. I have also seen cattle in the same fields, but no badgers (although I'd be surprised if there weren't badgers about).

In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> To me, they are one of three species which act as harbingers of spring, along with skylarks and curlews.

Same place and day - I was also treated to 3 Skylarks singing and flying on the other side of the road in a grass field and there was a fly over of an estimated 40 curlews to an arable field just out of sight!! To add to a good day birdwatching I saw the most Snipe I’ve seen at one place - 8!

The Snipe I usually don’t see there as they are in the reeds on far side of the loch, but with the recent heavy rain day in day out, the water level is very high and they had moved nearer the road.

Harry Jarvis 09 Apr 2024

> Same place and day - I was also treated to 3 Skylarks singing and flying on the other side of the road in a grass field and there was a fly over of an estimated 40 curlews to an arable field just out of sight!! To add to a good day birdwatching I saw the most Snipe I’ve seen at one place - 8!

Sounds marvellous! I may have to treat myself to a trip to Letham. Another local walk I do regularly abounds with skylarks and curlews, but I've never seen or heard snipe there. I do get to see red kites there on a regular basis. 

Bottom Clinger 09 Apr 2024

Have a double check for Jack snipe. Pretty sure I saw on there same time last year, a few been spotted locally, flushed out with excess rain (and high tides in some places). 

In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Interesting, thanks. On the day I did wonder if Jack Snipe was a possibility (just being hopeful since I’ve not seen one yet) so will keep an eye out in future.

It seemed that the bills were long, the early flushing (just being seen standing in the road), the zigzagging, higher level flight path and general colouring all tend to suggest most were Common Snipe with my limited knowledge from what I’ve read. That said there were two that were later in flying and flew low and short distance before dropping, and appeared slightly smaller, so I wouldn’t discount Jack Snipes. Problem was it happened so quick I didn’t get a chance to see colouring (or even bill length) in those two.

One of my other hopeful species there, is to see Waterail. I’ve heard one on a couple of occasions.

Michael Hood 09 Apr 2024

Great Lapwing photos, I never realised they did that, going to have to keep my eye on them more.

Waterail - I have come to the conclusion that you see Waterail when the stars align correctly and nothing you can do will alter that - you're either in the right place at the right time when they nonchalantly wander across or you're not - I suspect you need bucket loads of patience to beat the odds.

Snipe - problem is that any close views are usually just when you've flushed them and they don't tend to hang around so you can have a good look. I understand that Jack Snipe (which I've never knowingly seen) wait until you're even closer.

In reply to Michael Hood: 

Waterail - ha ha, but got to remain optimistic especially when you hear them near to you! One day … 

Yes, read that Jack Snipe are more elusive, rarely in the open, and wait far longer to fly so less likely to be seen.

Bottom Clinger 09 Apr 2024

Water rails: estimated 110+ pairs at Leighton moss. This time of year, at times you can hear their wierd  squeal everywhere

Darron 09 Apr 2024

At the  Peregrine scrape I’ve been visiting for 30 odd years tonight and….3 eggs! Might not be a full clutch yet. Time will tell but looking good🙂

hang_about 10 Apr 2024

Lots in the field along Mortimer road which runs past Strines in Derbyshire. I was cycling that way last week and got a full on lapwing display. That coupled with their almost alien calls was magical. Barn owl hunting in the fields just behind Stanage Popular as well. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...