UKC

Midges - question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DougG 01 Jun 2009
Was talking to someone in Ullapool at the weekend, they were saying that it's the male (i.e. non-biting) midges that come out at the start of the season.

The midges were apocalyptic in Inverpolly on Friday night and again last night, but I didn't seem to get bitten very much. They got in my eyes, up my nose and a few other places too but not many of them seemed to be biting. Wasn't using any repellant.

Just wondering if there's anything in this or whether it's an auld wife's tale.

Btw, the ticks are really bad just now in places, managed to catch them before being bitten but must have removed a couple of dozen over the weekend.
stupot 01 Jun 2009
In reply to DougG: Apparently so:
"Male midges emerge a few days before the females (called protandry) - this is so the males are ready to mate as soon as the females emerge"

from http://thenmc.org.uk/pages/misc/moz2.php
OP DougG 01 Jun 2009
In reply to stupot:

Cheers! That might explain it then.
 Scomuir 01 Jun 2009
In reply to DougG:
We got to Glen Brittle at midnight on Friday and had to hold the tent down while putting it up due to the wind

Seems like the strong winds didn't make it to the mainland? We did get midged on Saturday evening if it's any consolation.
OP DougG 01 Jun 2009
In reply to Scomuir:

I was planning on dossing on top of An Teallach on Friday night. Was put off by the forecast 35-50mph winds. It got quite windy on Friday afternoon around Ullapool but then it died down and it was a very still evening. I was taking photos near Loch Bad a' Ghaill and it was horrendous. Same at the Stac Pollaidh car park last night.

Apparently it was very windy in Aberdeenshire on Saturday night.
 Joe G 01 Jun 2009
In reply to DougG:

It was windy on top of Suilven early Saturday evening but strangely, wonderfully, it was calm and not midgy by the shore of Fionn Loch later that night.
 Scomuir 01 Jun 2009
In reply to DougG:
I didn't seem to get bitten much on Saturday night. They were there, but I think they were causing irritation by their presence, rather than by biting. I react badly to bites, especially when they get me on the lip or eyelid, but didn't seem to react at all the other night. Cracking weekend though!
OP DougG 01 Jun 2009
In reply to Scomuir:

Aye it was fabulous.

Feel a wee bit frazzled today though!
 Scomuir 01 Jun 2009
In reply to DougG:
I am somewhat bleary eyed today as well. Didn't leave Kyle until almost 9 last night. We were in no hurry to get away, but obviously once we set off, wanted to get back as fast as possible.
OP DougG 01 Jun 2009
In reply to Scomuir:

Aye we left Inverpolly at about the same time. Roads were quiet!

I'm off work today - don't think I could have taken a day in the office.

We were originally due back this afternoon but decided we couldn't afford 3 nights in a B&B. Forgot the feckin tent poles. Can you believe it?
 Scomuir 01 Jun 2009
In reply to DougG:
Yes, I can believe it. Not done it yet, but can easily see how I would forget to pack them after drying the tent.

Was climbing over the weekend as a 3, and I received an email this morning from our friend who was with us, asking if we have noticed anything missing. Obviously, due to our late arrival home, we haven't unpacked the bags yet, so no. Turns out she still has the rack. My rack. She lives in Inverness. Doh! I was too distracted with the beach when we got down to remember to ask for it back
 ring ouzel 01 Jun 2009
In reply to DougG: No midges on the Black Isle but lots of ticks. Our garden is regularly used by roe deer so they are everywhere and over by Cromarty it was heavin' with them.
OP DougG 01 Jun 2009
In reply to Scomuir:

Aye, we're getting senile!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...