UKC

Nice walk in the peaks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ewanjp 06 Mar 2015
I'm recovering from a shoulder operation so can't climb at the moment, but have a long standing trip booked in the peak tomorrow. Anyone have any suggestions for a walk (maybe 8-10 miles in total) that involves going past cliffs / boulders (so I can moan about not being able to climb!)?

We're staying in bradwell but have a car - any advice would be greatly appreciated - googing 'peak district walks' returns an awful lot!
Lusk 06 Mar 2015
In reply to ewanjp:

How about along the tops from Ladybower/A57 to Back Tor then back along the reservoirs?
 Rich D 06 Mar 2015
In reply to ewanjp: From Edale around towards the Youth Hostel then up Jaggers Clough, follow the ridge round past ringing rodger etc then past downfall and finally back into Edale. One of my favourites.

OP ewanjp 06 Mar 2015
In reply to Lusk:

Thanks Guys - anyone done this:

http://www.walkingenglishman.com/peakdistrict04.htm

Looks nice and rocky?
In reply to ewanjp:

No, it's not very rocky at all. Just a bit of scrambling on side of Back Tor. But it is a classic Peak circuit.
OP ewanjp 06 Mar 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Ah interesting - i meant it's got a few cliff side / rocky paths in it. My shoulders not really up for any serious scrambling.
Lusk 06 Mar 2015
In reply to ewanjp:

Not bad, I wouldn't say it's hard though!
Just plotted out what I suggested earlier...
http://gb.mapometer.com/walking/route_4032290.html
 Ramblin dave 06 Mar 2015
In reply to ewanjp:
I don't remember any actual scrambling there to be honest, just a bit of steep walking.

One of my favourite walks in the Peak is parking at Ladybower, getting the bus up to King's Tree and then walking back to Ladybower over the moors to the East. So basically what Lusk suggested but letting the bus take the strain for the valley section and hence getting further out into the wild and woolly bits with the same amount of effort.

Most sections of the Eastern edges make for nice walking, too.
Post edited at 11:45
 Chris the Tall 06 Mar 2015
In reply to ewanjp:

If you want to walk past cliffs etc then how about the Wye Valley . Walk one way along the river - past water-cum-jolly then Chee Dale as far as Plum buttress, and come back along the monsal trail, a mix of tunnels, cuttings, bridges but with some cracking views - esp of Raven Tor and Central Wall.
In reply to ewanjp:

Another classic circuit starts and finishes at the Grouse. Up to skyline, then along White Edge southwards all the way past Big Moor to cross the Sheffield road at 265. Then along top of Birchens to Robin Hood Inn on Chesterfield Road. Back past Moorside farm, southern edge of Gardoms, down to road, steeply up the other side to Wellington's Monument, then along top of Eastern edges: Baslow, Curbar, Froggatt and back to pub across a field on west side.
In reply to Ramblin dave:

Is the bus in operation yet though? Think they are still closing the road but no bus for a couple of months yet.

That said a wander above the east side of Ladybower is a grand day out, lots of rocks and you can even climb some without the use of an arm!

Or you could go up Dr's Gate from Old Glossop, visit Higher Shelf (and Overexposed), then cross over towards Yellowslacks/Dog Rock and return to Dr's Gate via Lightside. Some nice of rocks and gullys and such.
 Jimbo C 06 Mar 2015
In reply to ewanjp:

It's a bit of a drive, but a lovely walk passing various rocky bits can be made by starting at Darley Bridge, near Matlock.

Through some woods up to Birchover (there may be daffodils out if you're lucky), have a wander around Rowtor (don't miss the rooms carved out of the rock), Over to Cratcliffe/ Robin Hoods Stride, towards Youlgreave and a change to Limestone at Rheinstor and then back over Stanton Moor with various rocky features from huge quarries to standing stones and if you can find it a short and sharp ridge hidden in the woods. That might be a bit on the long side, but it's worth it.
 digby 06 Mar 2015
In reply to ewanjp:

That site is new to me. Looks really good. Lots of potential run routes!

Rob Exile Ward 06 Mar 2015
In reply to ewanjp:

You'll have a nice run in the Peak if Al Evans catches you calling them 'the Peaks' because they're not!
 deepsoup 06 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
Phew. Thank goodness for that. I thought standards were slipping for a while there. ;O)

Only a matter of time though. I wonder if there was someone like A.E. doggedly correcting folk about the spelling of Stanage back in the day?
"No, no, no! 'Stanage' is just plain wrong. It's an edge isn't it? StanEDGE!"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...