UKC

residential parking laws

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 blackcat 19 Mar 2015
Hey guys, currently there major road works in our area for a few weeks,so we cannot park our car outside our homes.Ive found a temporary parking space in a nearby residential area,private i believe.There are no visual enforcement/rules signs and many cars have parked there over the years.Of course until a old gentlemen came out to me and to cut a long story short told me i cant park there, and if i do he will call the police and take me to court.I explained to him that there are no signs and that many people i know have parked there without any problem, he wasnt having any of it , so to not cause any problem i drove off.The residents all have there own parking spaces.Where do i stand legally, and how would i get in touch with the housing/land owner to verify this, cheers.
 cezza 19 Mar 2015
In reply to blackcat:

If you do park on private land without permission then you are committing trespass. The landowner, which may or may not be the old man, could sue you. However the damages awarded are likely to be minimal to the point where it isn't worth the bother.

They could call the police who will probably point out its a civil matter unless you are causing an obstruction, in which case they may ask you to move your vehicle.

However if there is adequate signage, then since 2012 (Protection of Freedoms) you are deemed to have entered into a contract and are subject to any terms and fees stated on the sign. You can still dispute these charges fi they are unfair.

Cezza
 Scarab9 19 Mar 2015
In reply to blackcat:

No signs or markings, no problem. Civil matter so COULD be court if the you miss something....by I doubt old man would do more than mouth off and shake his stick
 Mountain Llama 19 Mar 2015
In reply to blackcat:

Just make sure you are not putting your car in the firing line for damage by locals..........
OP blackcat 19 Mar 2015
In reply to Mountain Llama: Thought about that ,thats why i drove off.That happened to a guy i knew years ago, someone drilled a hole in the bottom of his radiator.
 Neil Williams 19 Mar 2015
In reply to blackcat:
Personally if I'm told not to park on private land, I won't park there. People doing so even if it is private and unwelcome are what leads to draconian enforcement schemes.

OTOH if it's a public road he can go and run (or vandalise your car, possibly )

Neil
Post edited at 20:46

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...