UKC

Yeti's - myth or, well, myth...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
JonC 27 Nov 2001
OK - who out there believes in the Yeti?

Messner apparently does.

And I have photographs of a line of large footprints at c6,000m near the summit of a small peak in the Khumbu. Could be human (certainly either human or "ape") but who'd be mad enough to run around bare-footed in the snow in an ezxposed and isolated area at that altitude? Not even the locals I think.

All the same, I'm sitting on the fence. I am a yeti-agnostic and proud of it
Will on new PC 27 Nov 2001
In reply to JonC:

>OK - who out there believes in the Yeti?

Does it matter? T

There seems to be little in the way of scientific evidence (correct me if I'm wrong), but I really believe that the world's a better place with a few fairies in the bottom of the garden.
almost sane 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Will on new PC:
"There seems to be little in the way of scientific evidence (correct me if I'm wrong), but I really believe that the world's a better place with a few fairies in the bottom of the garden."

I beg to differ.
The wee blighters played havoc with my herbacious borders this summer.

These fairies should be out there earning a decent living, and not messing up my perennials!
The Fairy Queen 27 Nov 2001
In reply to almost sane:

>These fairies should be out there earning a decent living, and not messing up my perennials!

Give us a break - have you any idea what dentistry and electric toothbrushes are doing to our industry!
 TobyA 27 Nov 2001
In reply to JonC: Whillans believed in them and even chased one or so the story goes. See "the South West Face of Annapurna" by Bonnington for details and a photo.
 Paz 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Will on new PC:

Some bloke on Who wants to be a millionaire? who was into his 'mythical' creatures reckoned that a sample of hair brought back from Himalaya, couldn't be identified by Oxfords internationally renowned 'World best at identifying bits of hair and other fluff Insitute (to give it it's full title) "we've never failed to identify owt yet!"' (who had never failed at identifying things before). He was probably trying to plug his book though. Can't remember how much he won.

Have they got a 'yeti' tourist centre in Tibet/Nepal like the 'Nessy' centre by Loch Ness?
OP JonC 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Paz:

think he won £250k with a couple of educated guesses - rather impressive actually

and of course it matters! though I agree I wouldn't want it disproved....a bit like god, I'd rather sit on the fence and hedge my bets!
OP Dean 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Paz:
Yeah - you can see a supposed yeti scalp @ Khumjung !!
Baz 27 Nov 2001
In reply to JonC: I've got a yeti down my pants (just wanted to lower the tone )
OP JonC 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Baz:

I was just about to say the yeti scalp looks like a rusty brillo pad and then up you pop and seem to confirm it (you've got red hair, right?)
Jo 27 Nov 2001
In reply to JonC:

There are Yeti and in fact they are distantly related to modern man.

There is a current theory which came about because of certain ndescrepancies in the evolution theory - mainly how come it went neanderthal, five minute break .....MODERN MAN? I use the word Neanderthal to describe man, not yet aware of tools, seperate dwellings (ie houses and not caves), the use of fire etc etc etc.

It is now becoming more widely accepted than in fact two parallel races existed alongside each other for part of man's history on earth. One, your common or garden neanderthal, the other a more highly evolved (but still relatively basic by today's standards) race who were capable of tool making, use of fire etc and most importantly had a language. Instead of passing down lessons via crude pictures or having to demonstrate each 'skill' to another, this new race was able to 'spread the word' by actual speech! A powerful tool in those days.

As this more evolved race spread throughout the globe, through natural selection and inter breeding neanderthal man was out bred and basically made extinct..apart from a few living in the more remote and inhospitable regions of the planet. They too, over the millenia have evolved to a certain extent, for example to cope with each regions needs (Yeti/abominable snowman developed light colored fur as artic hares do for camoflage) but are basically what we term today as Yeti, Sasquatch, Bigfoot etc are the last in the line of these long distant cousins of ours.
Baz 27 Nov 2001
In reply to JonC: ME A GINGER NUT, thats fighting talk, although i looked down there at the weekend to see a Ginger nut (Lady of course) and most satisfying i may add. )
OP JonC 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Jo:

and do you see a lot of these in Scotland then?
OP JonC 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Baz:

you do have a knack of bringing things down to the basics don't you...
Baz 27 Nov 2001
In reply to JonC: Don't wanna let anyone down, do i.
OP JonC 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Baz:

good work then
OP JellyMuppet 27 Nov 2001
In reply to JonC:
I believe a yeti exists. It`s probably only an unidentified gorilla type creature living in the mountains, why would`nt something like that exist?
It`s not like a dinosaur living in possibly the coldest most uninhabitable place on Earth. Scotland.
 london_huddy 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Paz: i watched the program, and read the journal articles; the hair didn't match any of the recorded DNA from anywhere in the world.

suffice to say, that at the very least there's a new species of bear/ape in those parts which is bloody big!
 hoseyb 27 Nov 2001
In reply to JonC:

Nah.. in scotland they get green men- leafy beasties

don't they?

beast
Jo 27 Nov 2001
In reply to hoseyb:

only if you leave them in a damp place.....

we do get selkies and that tho!
 hoseyb 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Jo:
=noble celtic lords of the forest
I guess they all went when the cut all the trees down

pointed stare

la bete de tubes
Rich C 27 Nov 2001
In reply to JonC: Messner didn't actually say he'd found the Yeti/Abominable Snowman, as such, did he? I thought he decided that the myths associated with the Yeti all lead back to a type of Tibetan Bear called a Chemo.
Jo 27 Nov 2001
In reply to hoseyb:

Ah'm sayin' nothin'!

Mighty Tantric Tim 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Jo: Jo, put the chainsaw down. NOW!
No, stop waving it at Hosey. Look, he put a smiley on THAT post.
Oh, gawd, sorry, Hosey, you're on your own, wee man.
I'm off to hide, up at my 15th cousin's twice removed.
See if he's got any spare fur I can borrow...

By the way, it was proposed, back in the 60's, that Yeti may actually be Martians. Thin air, cold, etc. being natural for them? No-one seemed to mention what would be triple gravity for them....

Tim, the Yeti
OP Ladyboy 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Jo:
Why is it that Anthropologists think that 2+2=5

This is taking exrtrapolation to the extreme.

Think Gene pool, genetic drift....its all bollocks
Al Evans 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Ladyboy: Surely they must exist or why would they make gaiters for them????
Jo 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Al Evans:

Never a truer word spoken!

Well done lad!
OP Ladyboy 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Al Evans:

Oh come on Al, ok here we go
Gaiters are made for soft git climbers
Soft Git climbers probably did an Arts degree
Soft Arts degree would be anthropology
therfore Yeti Gaiters are made for Anthropologists

there now thats solved that little mystery, right Ive got to go now Im next up on stage, Im going to do a Kyle Number!!
OP Ladyboy 27 Nov 2001
In reply to Ladyboy:

Forgot to mention

I climbed with Messner in the ealy 80's

A hush falls over the audience......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...