UKC

climbing in manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mauuddd05 04 Jan 2005
hey, i just moved to manchester to go to uni and i was wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of any walls? any wud be helpful!
cheers
J2 04 Jan 2005
 Ian Dunn 04 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05: Climb Rochdale is 20 minutes train journey from Piccadilly and is 5 minutes from the station in Rochdale. We have reduced rates for students £4.50 off peak £5.25 peak. If you have a car then we are about 30 minutes from centre of Manchester and we have free parking.
 Jon Wickham 04 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05: Manchester Climbing Centre is due to open at the end of the month. It will be in an old church roughly opposite Picadilly station ( http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=385500&y=397500&z=0&sv=... ). Website (http://www.manchesterclimbingcentre.com/ ) has not yet gone live, but here is some more info: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=106504
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=107573
 fullastern 04 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05: Climb Rochdale is very good but you need to get the train from Victoria Station not picadilly. From there you can also go to Boulder UK in Blackburn, great bouldering but takes ages to get to.

From Picadilly/Oxford Road you can get virtually to the door of Salford Uni climbing wall (Salford Crescent station) which is ok but not as good as Rochdale (however the membership is cheap there, they have a bouldering comp on at the moment, and its easy to get to). Also you can get to Broughton Wall by getting off the train there and a bit of a walk (10-15mins), they have excellent bouldering and its cheap, only problem is getting from the train station to the wall involved walking through a pretty rough area so be careful.

You can also get a train to Warrington from picc/oxford rd where NW Face has loads of leading/top ropes and some bouldering, 5 mins walk from Warrington central station. Theres also Rope Race in Marple, Stockport but i havent been there.

Some websites to help you:

www.climbukltd.com -rochdale
www.boulderuk.com -blackburn
www.broughtonwall.co.uk -broughton

I think thats right, they should be on the search thing anyway.

Hope that helps.
mauuddd05 04 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05: cheers, rochdale looks pretty nuts there but im not good with trains! (im from ireland, dont really have a train system lol) how longs the train journey to rochdale? yea i read sumthin about that manchester climbin centre, any word on wen it opens? how far away from piccadily is the salford uni wall? is there a wall around the manchester universities like UM and UMIST?? i saw sumthin about the mcdougal centre, is it still in action and is it any good? iv never come accross it.
cheers
p.s. sorry for all the questions!lol
HOLDZ 04 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05:

The new manchester climbing centre is walking distance from UMIST, it'll be open at the end of the month...
 zoobizooretta 04 Jan 2005
In reply to HOLDZ:

and there's somat for everyone, 20m lead wall! loads of bouldering and all types of roped climbing.
Should be good...
 fullastern 04 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05: Rochdale takes about 20 mins on the train, get a train to rochdale from victoria then walk pretty much straight down the road to get to the wall. Manchester dont have a wall anymore as the McDougal centre closed in the summer (it was really rubbish and a good way to get injured anyway).
 fullastern 05 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05: Forgot to say, Salford takes about 10mins on the train, its 2 stops from oxford road or 3 from piccadilly. From salford crescent station just follow the road round and you'll come to the tom husband leisure centre on the right after 5 mins, its in there.
mauuddd05 05 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05: cheers guys. il hafta take a few trips wen i get back to uni. il prob try the salford uni one first then take a wee trip up to rochdale. can u get into the salford uni one alright if u dont go to salford uni?? whats the boulderin like there?
In reply to Jon Wickham: Is that where its going to be? A previous thread showed somewhere off Hyde road?
 zoobizooretta 06 Jan 2005
In reply to Richard Bradley:

just off the A57 by the showcase cinema
 Mark Owen 06 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05:
> (In reply to mauuddd05) can u get into the salford uni one alright if u dont go to salford uni?? whats the boulderin like there?

You can get into the wall fine even if you aren't at salford. The bouldering is fine but doesn't have the greatest crash mats.
James 10 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05:

you could join your uni's climbing club.
if they wont take you you could join my climbing club.
mauuddd05 13 Jan 2005
In reply to James: yea see manchester have a mountaineering club but its not mentioned on the student unions list of societies and they dont have a site at the minute cus of the big changes over from university of manchester to 'manchester university'. if u cud gimme sum details about ur climbin club thatd be brilliant man. i dont even know anyone in manc that climbs lol! tho my friend from blackburn was over here at the weekend and he tried climbin and liked it, i smell a trip to boulderuk
cheers.
 fullastern 13 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05: MUMC is quite a big club, dont know why its not on the list but the forum on the website is still in use so if youre at manchester uni you could post on there and im sure someone who can help you will reply. Alternatively theres normally people in jabez clegg near the students union on a thursday night -you'll be able to speak to someone there (although prob not this week as its hols). If youre a student at manchester uni then you wont have any trouble joining the club, although for obvious reasons im not going to start giving out peoples phone numbers on here!
 andi_e 13 Jan 2005
In reply to Ian Dunn: that's cheeky!
 andi_e 13 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05: My website'll sort you out...
Rain 13 Jan 2005
In reply to andi_e:

Why because he replies to a question asking for the where abouts of a wall with an answer telling him the where abouts of a wall. You increasingly come over as a bit of a tool.
 Mark Owen 13 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05:
> (In reply to James) yea see manchester have a mountaineering club but its not mentioned on the student unions list of societies and they dont have a site at the minute cus of the big changes over from university of manchester to 'manchester university'.

Its not on the Student's Union society list because its an Athletics Union (AU) club - go to http://www.au.man.ac.uk/ and you can find details of the club on there.

mauuddd05 13 Jan 2005
In reply to Mark Owen: ah rite, that makes sense! well il join as long as i dont hafta go the the au social...the people that sell the tickets do my head in!lol. maybe with this new manchester climbin centre they'll go there durin the week or somethin? thatd be good craic cus i take it they have nowhere to go at the moment!
 fullastern 13 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05: theres people going to broughton or salford all the time, itll be good to have a big wall nearer though
 andi_e 14 Jan 2005
In reply to Rain: it's free advertising for HIS climbing wall! anyway he's my mate and was only joking!
Sheesh man, calm down!
James 18 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05:

www.man.ac.uk/mumc/

its in the process of being updated, but is still 'live'.
the e-group works, but you have to pay membership to use that.

(im also a member of mumc as well as chairman of mmumc)
 Dan_S 19 Jan 2005
In reply to James:

The information on the website is a little out of date (due to the merger (aka takeover) of the two universities, the club doesnt have access to the server its on at the moment)

http://www.man.ac.uk/mumc/ (clickable link for the lazy )

The "e-group" (ie message board) is free for anyone to use, whoever they are, to ask about the club, what we're up to etc.
Andrew Arthington 24 Jan 2005
In reply to mauuddd05:
> hey, i just moved to manchester to go to uni and i was wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of any walls? any wud be helpful!
> cheers

See this site http://www.manchesterclimbingcentre.com/ Due to open 15th Feb. Located at the back of Fujitsu. Less than 10 minutes walk from Ashburys train station which is one stop from Picadilly.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...