UKC

Ticks - the parasite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
deeje 23 Jun 2006
my flatmate just came back from some hippy solstice party at stonehenge and has returned with six or so ticks attached to her and her friends. Ive looked at the online medical stuff and they're going to see a doctor in the morning. What i want to know is are they contageous - can they drop off and attach to another host and what are the chances of others being contained in their luggage. (considering they're luggage is currently sat in our communial kitchen)

I dont like the sound of lymes deasese very much and certainly dont want to run the risk of catching it.

Anyone know?
Removed User 23 Jun 2006
In reply to deeje:
if they're not full (ie blue/grey & kidney bean sized) they will look for another host - if they fall off torch the little b*ggers. The organism that causes Lyme disease only appears to be transmitted after the tick has been attached for a few hours. i'd suggest a vet rather than a doctor!

lardbrain@work
Stefan Lloyd 23 Jun 2006
In reply to deeje: Presumably you aren't a dog owner. If you were and you lived in an area where deer were common, you'd get very used to the little lovelies. I've pulled 100s off dogs and a few off people, including myself.

1. No need to see a doctor unless you have flu-type symptoms. Get a pair of tweezers, grip as close to the skin as possible and pull slowly and steadily. They will come off in 10-20 seconds. Don't pull too hard or they will come apart, leaving their jaws inside. Don't squeeze, poison or burn them, or them will inject infected blood into you. Don't twist them, it doesn't help.

2. No they won't attach to someone else. They have a life-cycle in which they take 3 blood meals. After each one, they grow into the next stage. A bit like "Alien".

3. They are highly unlikely to be in luggage. They lurk on vegetation waiting for a warm-blooded host to attach to.

4. In the UK, the chances of catching Lyme disease are real but slim.

P.S. For Americans who believe in "Intelligent Design", I say, why ticks then?
 UKC Forums 23 Jun 2006
This thread was started in the wrong forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
James Jackson 23 Jun 2006
In reply to deeje:

Tell them the stop being wimps. I've pulled loads of the buggers off me and my dog after climbing in areas that have them. Just be careful the get them off intact.
 Sean Bell 23 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: If any of them develop a round red rash like a bulls eye or have flu symptoms its best to see the doc who will prescribe antibiotics.The symptoms usually appear within 3-30 days after infection, but im sure they can arise sooner?.As far as I can remember the longer the tick has been feeding off you the more chance you have of catching lymes disease (this is if the tick is carrying it in the first place!).
Less than 24hrs little chance. 24-48 hrs 50% higher48-72 75% 72hrs and more ,almost certain...
This is all stuff iremember from a book I read in Ullapool last month and i must state that my memory isnae that great so dont take this too literally, the book is purely about ticks (cant rmbr title), go seek it out if you are concerned or speak to the doc.
In reply to Barry Chocolate:

That is true, but if you don't have symptoms there's no point. God knows how many I've pulled off me and I've never had any problems.

It's like saying if you swim in a river you should go to the doctor as you may have Weil's Desiese.
 ali_mac 23 Jun 2006
In reply to deeje:

smear the little blighters with vasaline. This suffocates them a tad and they loosen their grip, before you get hold with tweezers and pull slowly but firmly.
Iain Ridgway 23 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: I agree, as a runner I spend hours a week running through ferns in shorts. I've had many on my legs, mainly in the backs of my knees. Just get rid of them and leave it. The dogs always have them too.
toadwork 23 Jun 2006
In reply to ali_mac:
> (In reply to deeje)
>
> smear the little blighters with vasaline. This suffocates them a tad and they loosen their grip, before you get hold with tweezers and pull slowly but firmly.

NO! as an earlier poster advised, this causes the tick to regurgitate into the host and will increase the chance of infection. Removal with tweezers is the only way to do it (I had to write a risk assessment recently for this, so I researched it properly, and asked my doc as well)
 Sean Bell 23 Jun 2006
In reply to James Jackson: Aye, I agree, if there are no symptoms just leave it.
My grandad walked aroud the highlands for a good 40 years and has had "hunners and thoosands" of the wee buggers and hasnt had a problem.And my climbing partner discovered one on his scrotum last year!!!
Ticks and balls, oh my god, I coulndt believe it, he said he went white and almost fainted when he found it whilst showering.eurgghh..
Thats taking it too far.Skin tight y-fronts all round boys...
In reply to Barry Chocolate:

Yeah, ticks like warm moist places. I've removed a couple from my scrote in the past. Quite unpleasant I can assure you.
 wiwwim 23 Jun 2006
In reply to Barry Chocolate: lymes disease can attack the nervous system and may affect your peripheral vision. Avoid places like dorset. The ticks in devon are more friendly. Lots of them around the past few years, can get them in short grass aswell.

Apparently when the adult ticks breed the eggs hatch inside the female and the little ticklets mate before they are born. is this true? intelligent design>?
In reply to wiwwim:
> may affect your peripheral vision. Avoid places like dorset.

Does this explain the blinkered attitude of Portland residents? I'd just put it down to inbreeding
Iain Ridgway 23 Jun 2006
In reply to wiwwim: 'Avoid places like dorset'

Do you seriously avoid places due to dangers of Ticks.

I'd have thought it would make more sense avoiding showering and the M1 due to the risks involved.

A tick does not = lyme disease.

I came back from a trip with a couple of ticks attached to my legs. Over the next week I came up with 4 or 5 really itchy red spots, anyone know if this is likely to be connected? Its happened once before when I had a tick, I didn't connect it previously though as the spots didn't come up on the areas where the f*ckers were attached.
 ste_d 23 Jun 2006
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:

as previously mentioned if you find a tick attached you won't necessarilly get lyme (not all ticks carry the infection and those that do, do not necessarilly pass it on)...i'm not sure what all this talk of percentages in relation to time attached is about, not heard that before and suspect it is nonsense...

if you do find one attached, remove as soon as possible, by grasping as close to the skin, pref. with tweezers and slowly applying pressure, try not to squash it as this may cause regurgitation of tick stomach contents and pass on infection

if you do notice any symptoms following a bite, i.e. bulls eye rash, flu type symptoms, go to the doctor, ask for anti biotics, strongs one preferably...doxycetelyne or some such similar seems to be recommended

also take a picture of any rash as soon at it appears, you may need it to convine the medical fraternity aftwerwards, even better put the offending tick in a jar...

no doubt jayh will be along in due course to add to these meanderings...
 martin riddell 23 Jun 2006
In reply to deeje:

ohh, nasty little feckers
make sure you don't get any - areas to check are soft skin at back of knees (and if a guy on your scrote - painfull)

give me the shudders
 JayH 23 Jun 2006
In reply to ste_d:

You rang?

No need to add anything - all the important stuff has been mentioned.

Remember popkids: tweezers good, vaseline bad.
 ste_d 23 Jun 2006
In reply to JayH:

splendid, there you are...

hope you and nipper are well

did all lyme symptoms clear up by the way...?
 MJH 23 Jun 2006
In reply to Stefan Lloyd:
> (In reply to deeje) Presumably you aren't a dog owner. If you were and you lived in an area where deer were common, you'd get very used to the little lovelies. I've pulled 100s off dogs and a few off people, including myself.
>
> 1. No need to see a doctor unless you have flu-type symptoms. Get a pair of tweezers, grip as close to the skin as possible and pull slowly and steadily. They will come off in 10-20 seconds. Don't pull too hard or they will come apart, leaving their jaws inside. Don't squeeze, poison or burn them, or them will inject infected blood into you. Don't twist them, it doesn't help.
>

Interesting when I was a kid, the doctors (on Skye) used to advise strong alcohol (perfume or spirits) to get them off. Forunately I never got any , but it seemed to work on my brother who they seemed to find particlarly tasty....
In reply to deeje:

I get dozens of these on me every summer. Only once have I gone to the doctors as it was on me for ages and I had a bit of a red rash. I so far haven't had Lymes, touch wood.

Andy
 Jon Greengrass 23 Jun 2006
In reply to deeje: My wife (JayH) has written an article on this very subject but Mick Ryan has been to lazy to publish it.
 JayH 23 Jun 2006
In reply to ste_d:

Glad to oblige

Poppy is very well, thanks, and has lungs like an opera diva. She also is beginning to remember the actions to "Jingle Jangle Scarecrow" and giggles to the made-up lyrics of our favourite song: "Poppy's got a stinky bum, doo-dah, doo-dah".

My lyme symptoms kinda blended in to the new symptoms I got from taking such a high dose of doxycycline for 2 months, which then blended into the symptoms of pregnancy... So I'm not too sure when exactly they went away. However, I was very well during the middle of my pregnancy, so assume I am completely cured. Some doom-mongers insisted it would recur during my pregnancy or shortly afterwards, but so far so good.
JACKASS 24 Jun 2006
In reply to deeje:

I LOVE ticks.....

did such a bad job pulling one off my collie, had to take him to the vets.
We get married in September
simon hilton 24 Jun 2006
In reply to Stefan Lloyd:
> (In reply to deeje) Presumably you aren't a dog owner. If you were and you lived in an area where deer were common, you'd get very used to the little lovelies. I've pulled 100s off dogs and a few off people, including myself.
>
> 1. No need to see a doctor unless you have flu-type symptoms. Get a pair of tweezers, grip as close to the skin as possible and pull slowly and steadily. They will come off in 10-20 seconds. Don't pull too hard or they will come apart, leaving their jaws inside. Don't squeeze, poison or burn them, or them will inject infected blood into you. Don't twist them, it doesn't help.
>
> 2. No they won't attach to someone else. They have a life-cycle in which they take 3 blood meals. After each one, they grow into the next stage. A bit like "Alien".
>
> 3. They are highly unlikely to be in luggage. They lurk on vegetation waiting for a warm-blooded host to attach to.
>
> 4. In the UK, the chances of catching Lyme disease are real but slim.
>
> P.S. For Americans who believe in "Intelligent Design", I say, why ticks then? Why not?

Jake Avery 24 Jun 2006
In reply to deeje: i'm pretty sure once they attache they stay that way until they are fed up as in full not bored.

my dogsa had a few not as many as your hippy mate but still... they usually die after a day or so
 Al Evans 25 Jun 2006
In reply to Jake Avery: This is my tip, dont just pull them off with tweezers, they can leave their legs inside you and can start an infection.
We got some Bob Martins Disinfectant Dog Shampoo for various parasites before we went up to Jura because we were told ticks were pandemic there and the dog would certainly get them, he did and so did we, in some unmentionable places.
We found that if you dipped a small stick in the bottle of the neat shampoo and just touched the drop onto the tick it would withdraw and fall off dead. There was no visible harm to the skin and it was painless.
 jonquirk 25 Jun 2006
In reply to deeje: According to information posted on the tourist information centre in Lynmouth the tick has three mouth parts which bore into the skin to anchor the tick. I have successfully removed many ticks with the tweezers from my Swiss Army knife. I grasp the tick as close to the victim's skin as possible and turn anti-clockwise until the tick comes out. I get the whole tick, still wriggling, and squash it to bits.

We are used to checking the dogs for passengers while on holiday and have had to check each other as well at times.
 gingerkate 25 Jun 2006
In reply to ste_d:
The %s thing is right I think ... my sis in law was told by her vet that as long as they were on the cats less than 24 hours there was no chance of infection.

Cheers for info re vaselining them folks, I've been vaselining the ones the dog gets since I read that technique on here a couple of years back, will switch to tweezering.

How about swabbing them with vodka or something first, would that help or could that cause the regurgitation problem too?
 JayH 25 Jun 2006
In reply to gingerkate:

No, that's not recommended either, or burning them, or irritating them in any way prior to extraction, all because of the potential for regurgitation.

Some folk also say beware squishing them between your bare fingers, as if they're carrying borrelia it can get transmitted to you that way.

Finally, although the less time a tick is on you, the less likely you'll catch anything, it's no guarantee.

Finally, finally, (some) ticks carry more horrors than just Lyme: ehrlichiosis, babesiosis, tick-borne encephalitis, etc etc. They are horrible, horrible things.
 kevhasacat 25 Jun 2006
In reply to Stefan Lloyd: Had a horsy friend who advises to drop a bit of whiskey on them first. Basically they get pissed and relax their grip, THEN you can attack with the tweezer. It's importabnt NOT to leave the jaws inb as this will become infected
hope this helps and all that
 gingerkate 25 Jun 2006
In reply to Kevin Livingstone:
But read what Jay has just put ... anything you do like that can make them regurgitate and thus up the chance of transference of the uggy bugs it seems.
 Sean Bell 25 Jun 2006
In reply to ste_d: Im only passing on what I read in a book.It clearly states a relationship between time attached and infection rates.
 Al Evans 26 Jun 2006
In reply to gingerkate: Why does nobody like my Bob Martins Tip
It does work, honest, and I bet its the least painful and most antiseptic way
 gingerkate 26 Jun 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
Because we are deducing from Jay's info that ANYTHING bunged on this ticky wicky to make it easier to remove risks making it spew Lyme's disease bugs into us, and that sounds to be a bad idea.

Btw, having done it all completely wrong with my dog, does that mean my dog might be infected, or do dogs not get Lyme's?
 JayH 26 Jun 2006
In reply to gingerkate:

Hmm, I heard tell that dogs can get Lyme. But I dunno for sure.

As for tick removal, I'm just basing my advice on the most credible stuff I've found, which I reckon is being ultra-cautious. Allegedly even if you get bitten by a tick with the borrelia burgdorferi spirochaetes (the gunk that causes Lyme), and it's attached for days and you squish it, you still won't definitely get Lyme; you're just more likely to get it.

I guess it's all about risk and chance.
 gingerkate 26 Jun 2006
In reply to JayH:
I believe the sicking up thing: 24 hours after I'd greased my dog's ticks the ticks were flat and the dog had a swollen inflamed lump. Now I understand why...
 Al Evans 26 Jun 2006
In reply to gingerkate: Kate, the ticks come off instantly with Bob Martins, quicker than if you try tweezering them off, its completely different to the vaseline thing. I dont think they have time to become stressed and puke into you, also the stuff is an antiseptic anyhow.
In reply to gingerkate:

This could also be because the tick had processed the blood it had extracted, and had excreted the excess fluid. A nasty lump could simply be a natural histamine reaction to the tick bite.

However, the CDC advice is not to use any form of chemical attack, but use mechanical means to remove ticks.

Get an OTOM device from your friendly vet...

http://www.otom.com/
 Stu Tyrrell 26 Jun 2006
In reply to deeje: We were at Trowbarrow Sunday and Rivington Saturday, my partner had a tick behind the knee, I used the advice on the link, it came out clean.

SEE http://www.wadhurst.demon.co.uk/lyme/lyme3.htm

Stu
 Al Evans 27 Jun 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Incidently when we went running on Jura after the tick attack, we found that rubbing our legs with Deap Heat prevented an attack
 Al Evans 27 Jun 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell: Ticks are not allowed on Trowbarrow.
In reply to deeje:

To be honest I have tried many/all other methods to remove ticks and none have been fail safe and easy until I get a pair of these last time I went to the vets.

These are great, two different sizes for different sized ticks and have removed the tick wholly and quickly (a matter of seconds) 100% of the time. I now have a jar containing about 80 odd of the little buggers from the last few months.

http://www.otom.com

JayH 27 Jun 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Stu Tyrrell) Ticks are not allowed on Trowbarrow.

Lol!

In reply to Eskdale Massive:

<grooooooo> Yuck. That's disgusting. Effectively you have a big jar of blood with legs <bleee>

Stu Tyrrell 27 Jun 2006
In reply to Al Evans: I have just found one on me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read that they stay on clothes so get the washing machine going.

Im now going in the shower and tehn full inspection, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Stu
 Stefan Kruger 27 Jun 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

TBE (Tick Bourne Encephalites) is the one to look out for. Uncommon as of yet in the UK, but common in most of Europe. No cure exists, even if the paralysis will eventually clear by itself after up to three years. Fortunately, a very good vaccine exists, and here in Sweden there is a very good uptake on this vaccine, which has led to the illness being uncommon despite the prevalence of carrier ticks.

If you're ever climbing in Europe, I'd recommend getting the jab. Or jabs, actually.
 Stu Tyrrell 27 Jun 2006
In reply to Stefan Kruger: Thanks for that Stefan, better than taking Bob Martins, as in Al Evans idea?

Stu
SI A 27 Jun 2006
In reply to deeje:

rotate antoclockwise and they will come out head an all.

dont burn them as they puke into you as they die and you get a nice spot.

dont vaseline them see above.

really dont need to go to the doctors on this.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...