UKC

Bouldering Competitions.....who are they for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rginns 03 Oct 2006
I've been bouldering a bit lately so was wondering...

Are competitions only for the elite climbers or for us punters too? (i.e. up to 6a)

How do they work?

Any in the North west?

Any comments appreciated...
 Al Evans 03 Oct 2006
In reply to rginns: I have taken the kids along to some that are split into two categories in the past, elite and 'the rest'. I stopped taking them when I was still in 'the rest' and they were in the elite.
 MeMeMe 03 Oct 2006
In reply to rginns:
If it's just a local comp then it's not for just the elite because the whole point is to encourage punters into the wall.

I've been to ones at the Leeds wall before and they always have some problems that everyone can manage to do as well as stuff that only the best can manage.

I'm sure there are national comps for the elite too but I don't know anything about those!
ultra montane 03 Oct 2006
In reply to rginns:

Basically they are for people that are too scared to take up real climbing.
 Fiend 03 Oct 2006
In reply to rginns:

They're for anyone who wants a bit of extra motivation to push themselves, to join in a social event, and maybe to compete against others too.

I did the Foundry one a couple of years ago, it was good fun. What I especially valued was the encouragement from the scoring system to try harder to flash problems (you get a sharp points decline for having to work something) - this taught me that I could hang on longer and fight harder than I thought.

I also burnt Seb Grieve off on one problem which was mildly amusing.
rginns 03 Oct 2006
In reply to ultra montane:
> (In reply to rginns)
>
> Basically they are for people that are too scared to take up real climbing.

well as I climb trad, boulder and sport climb I guess that doesn't make me a "real" climber - open your eyes!!

not very helpful.
rginns 03 Oct 2006
In reply to Fiend: Thanks, that's clearer now...
 SecretSquirrel 03 Oct 2006
In reply to rginns:
>> Any in the North west?

winter bouldering league will be starting in Manchester again soon - 1 night each month, problems ranging from easy to near impossible.
was good fun last year, although very crowded.

Smitz 03 Oct 2006
In reply to rginns: Try the Irish Bouldering league. One particular round out of 5 was being held near my town in an outdoor show, so decided to go. Was told to bring shoes even if you have no ability, cos it's such a laugh, and by golly they where right. Really doesn't matter where you come, it's so much fun. Also, I am now ranked 46th in the country, which is nice
 Al Evans 03 Oct 2006
In reply to Fiend:
> (In reply to rginns)
I also burnt Seb Grieve off on one problem which was mildly amusing.

Yeh, but I've seen Seb indoors and he's crap. Even Gerry beats him.
rginns 03 Oct 2006
In reply to SecretSquirrel: Is that at the MCC?

cheers
rginns 03 Oct 2006
In reply to Smitz: Ahhh if only I was in Ireland! based in Lancs, but if I'm ever over there, I'll bear it in mind!
 Fiend 03 Oct 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

17 minutes for the obligatory "Yeah but Seb is weak" comment?? Sheesh, disappointing.
ultra montane 03 Oct 2006
In reply to rginns:
>
> well as I climb trad, boulder and sport climb I guess that doesn't make me a "real" climber - open your eyes!!
>
> not very helpful.

That would make you a real climber, who happens to boulder a bit on the side.
 UKC Forums 03 Oct 2006
This thread was started in the wrong forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Cliff Hanger 03 Oct 2006
In reply to UKC Forums:

So where has it gone to then?
 SecretSquirrel 03 Oct 2006
In reply to rginns:
> (In reply to SecretSquirrel) Is that at the MCC?
>
> cheers

yes. there's probably some details on their website, I think last year it started some time either in october or november.
 Al Evans 03 Oct 2006
In reply to Fiend:
> (In reply to Al Evans)
>
> 17 minutes for the obligatory "Yeah but Seb is weak" comment?? Sheesh, disappointing.

Seb may be arm weak compared to the sport boys, but he's certainly not 'head weak', hence the comparatively poor performance on walls and sport to his stunning performances at real climbing..
pamplemouse 03 Oct 2006
In reply to ultra montane:
meaning?
rginns 03 Oct 2006
In reply to pamplemouse:
> (In reply to ultra montane)
> meaning?

I don't think he regards bouldering as climbing... well nevermind, he's probably a sports climber!

(hides)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...