UKC

Cotswold. The Waitrose of outdoor shops ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jonno 20 Dec 2006

Can't put my finger on it but I can't stand Cotswold Outdoor shops.
The staff are friendly enough but the stores are characterless,the stuff is at top whack prices and whenever I go in the customers all seem to be braying hooray henry's and sloane rangers spending daddy's dosh on the latest yak skin,hypoanagelic,triple membrane,bees wax injected £300 approach shoes.
Useful for walking to the wine bars of Alderley Edge I suppose.

Wingman 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:
>
braying hooray henry's and sloane rangers spending daddy's dosh
Alderley Edge

should be used in the same logical arguement, Alderly edge is filled with common people with money, not 'hooray henry's and sloane rangers' (as your extra large deep fat fried chip puts it)

Wingman 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Wingman:

arghhhhhh!! *shouldn't
Jon Hemlock 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

I agree. Nice staff, good stock at the absolute maximum they can charge, and Rab Expedition wearing ramblers buying compasses for £50.
 John2 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno: Waitrose is a very good shop. If you think Cotswold Camping is full of hooray henrys you should try Snow and Rock.
Wingman 20 Dec 2006
In reply to John2:
> (In reply to Jonno) Waitrose is a very good shop. If you think Cotswold Camping is full of hooray henrys you should try Snow and Rock.

now that is a place I hate! makes idiots think they know something about skiing......
miltenpoint 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Wingman: did a little tour of the covent garden gear shops the other day - all of them seem to have sold out to either the above or gap year traveller. And whats with the TNF nuptse - there's thousands everywhere. Stores are full of them but you can't get a neutrino lite or me helium anywhere !
Wingman 20 Dec 2006
In reply to miltenpoint:
> (In reply to Wingman) did a little tour of the covent garden gear shops the other day - all of them seem to have sold out to either the above or gap year traveller. And whats with the TNF nuptse - there's thousands everywhere. Stores are full of them but you can't get a neutrino lite or me helium anywhere !

deep breathes! they just opened one in the city I walked past last night! has no functional kit in it whatsoever!!!!!!

ceri 20 Dec 2006
In reply to miltenpoint: Maybe in covent garden, most of the shoppers tend to be gap year travellers and slone rangers. The outdoor shops in Betys y coed Aviemore and Hathersage might be a bit better!
 martin riddell 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Wingman:
> (In reply to miltenpoint)
> [...]
>
has no functional kit in it whatsoever!!!!!!

functional for what - surviving the urban wastelands of London ?
grynneman 20 Dec 2006
In reply to martin riddell:
> (In reply to Wingman)
> [...]
> has no functional kit in it whatsoever!!!!!!
>
> functional for what - surviving the urban wastelands of London ?

It's like a jungle out there...it makes me wonder how I keep from going under..
 Mick Ward 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:
>
> Can't put my finger on it but I can't stand Cotswold Outdoor shops.
> The staff are friendly enough but the stores are characterless

Agree. Sad, really.

Mick
 Mike Stretford 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Wingman:
> (In reply to Jonno)

> should be used in the same logical arguement, Alderly edge is filled with common people with money, not 'hooray henry's and sloane rangers' (as your extra large deep fat fried chip puts it)

Yeah, he's well off the mark with his stereotype. It's ludicrously rich footballers, fur coat and no knickers, new money round there. Hoorays seem to avoid the Manchester area thankfully. Lots of them in New-car-sell though.

In reply to Jonno: Sometimes the sales are ok, and it's worth a look in the bargain basket if you're passing.
Jon Hemlock 20 Dec 2006
In reply to miltenpoint:

Noticed that myself. The amount NF Down in London is comical.

In light of the useless commercial shops available in London, do you think it's time for a 'Useful Gear Shops in London' thread...?
In reply to Jon Hemlock:
>
> Noticed that myself. The amount NF Down in London is comical.
>
> In light of the useless commercial shops available in London, do you think it's time for a 'Useful Gear Shops in London' thread...?

Rock on and Urbanrock are the only proper climbing shops in London.

Carolyn 20 Dec 2006
In reply to martin riddell:
[...]
> has no functional kit in it whatsoever!!!!!!

Now, come on. My TNF Nupste vest (in this year's brown) was very functional for the nursery run yesterday, then the drive across the A66 for a work meeting. It's great for a walk into town, and doesn't take up much space in the boot of the car. Cheaper than the Boden equivalent, too......

But in general, I have to agree. I'll do my serious gear shopping in Keswick - fortunately it's closer than anywhere else anyhow!

Rubbishy 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

So, in order to buy a NF Duvet one has to fill in a form, with 2 references to attest that it will be used in the great outdoors, and not for wonadering down the Kings Road.

Maybe i should send my Pinarello back because I don't ride for Caisse d'Epargne
Jon Hemlock 20 Dec 2006
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
>
> Maybe i should send my Pinarello back because I don't ride for Caisse d'Epargne

Maybe you should take it back cos you've been ripped-off. It's a bicycle and unless you're entering the Tour De France get yourself a good Raleigh.
Jon Hemlock 20 Dec 2006
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Cheers for the pointer.
In reply to Jon Hemlock: Do Raliegh still do good bikes?
 gingerdave13 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno: don't go near ellis bringham then,,, walked into there for a nosey,, euuurgh,,, (shudders) walked out hastily too,,
 Rubbishy 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Papillon:

Yes

Nicole Cooke rides one.
In reply to gingerdave13: I got a very good fleace at half price from Elliss Brigham, if you hold your nerve you can sometimes get a bargain at these places.
In reply to John Rushby: So she does, nice looking bike too. But they are letting the name go on some shoddy bikes sold in Halfords. I recently fixed one a friend bought 6months ago, it was poor.
In reply to Jonno:

It's the cheapest gear shop in Glasgow. I don't care if the shop assistants are friendly as long as their prices are low.

Davie
 alex 20 Dec 2006
In reply to people:

Yes. It's a total disgrace that people climbing low grades, or even non climbers can wear outdoor clothes. There should be some sort of test before you're allowed to buy them. I think the BMC ought to do something about it. It wasn't like this in my day.
Wingman 20 Dec 2006
In reply to alex:

it could be regarded as false advertising in the opposite sex
 Rubbishy 20 Dec 2006
In reply to alex:

I know, we should restrict such clothing to those who climb HVS / V / D+ and over.

Of course, we can all put our hands in our pockets to pay the redundancies at Rab etc when we do so
miltenpoint 20 Dec 2006
In reply to John Rushby: Naw its ok - none climbers think the outdoor market starts at TNF and ends at berghaus. They'd reckon RAB was a bbc comedy clothing line !
 Gav M 20 Dec 2006
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:

> It's the cheapest gear shop in Glasgow. I don't care if the shop assistants are friendly as long as their prices are low.

Especially if you can hoodwink them into giving you a 20% discount with your GCC membership card, sadly it doesn't work every time
 woolsack 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jon Hemlock: Do you mean 20+ years ago when there was Alpine Sports and Snow and rock across the road and YHA in Covent Garden? Changed a bit since then
 Denni 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:
Totally agree mate. Nicely furbished shop with stuff hanging on a rack, which I spose is ok for most people. Would rather have a browse around Joe Browns or needlesports, seems friendlier!
Den
OP Anonymous 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

Cotswold are to the excitement of the outdoors
are as Halfords are to the Romance of Motoring
miltenpoint 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous: A while ago, I wandered into macphersons in inverness to buy a gas canister and was immediately humbled by the place and the guys in there. You could just tell that knew more about and had climbed more mountains in the last month than most people will in a lifetime.

I'd love some of these shops in london but thats a contradiction in terms.
 Morgan Woods 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

i was in there last night but couldn't find a pair of Ron Hills for the life of me!
OP Anonymous 20 Dec 2006
In reply to miltenpoint:
The Old George Fishers was great before they sold out. Many types of boot, you didn't know how old, strange crampons, heaps of stuff, reeking of adventure and not a blisterpacked item in sight
In reply to Jonno: What's wrong with Waitrose? (I've never shpped in one and am just curious)
Wingman 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Papillon:

nothing, it's a high end supermarket.
 eppa 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno: If it weren't for the hooray henry's there'd probably be fewer companies making the gear, fewer shops selling the gear and it'd probably all be even more expensive...
 galpinos 20 Dec 2006
In reply to grynneman:

> It's like a jungle out there...it makes me wonder how I keep from going under..

Nice.
Nick B 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno: I don't mind Cotswolds, they have a reasonable range, staff are OK, give a discount to BMC members, certainly the best of the Manchester outdoor shops, Brighams is not a lot of good these days unless you want to ski and / or only buy TNF gear.

Jonno 20 Dec 2006

Hypocrite that I am. I have since purchased some xmas presents in the Betws y Coed branch. Nice touch the free mince pies and sherry too.
Unfortunately I had to walk out of the Keswick shop on sunday as the two gormless wazzocks on the till kept me waiting ten minutes to buy a birthday card. More fool me for waiting ten minutes. Two mins is usually my limit.

Pheck Fairy 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno: The name "Cotswold" hardly conjures up images of corniced peaks and high adventure. Everyone knows the Cotswolds are about as interesting as semolina pudding. "Needle Sports", now there is a proper name.
Jonno 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Pheck Fairy:
> "Needle Sports", now there is a proper name.

I like Needlesports and JB's in NW. I always liberate some of their 20p climbing mags in the bargain bin. Picked up five at the W/E including the latest US 'Rock & Ice'.
 Punters 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

Isn't it interesting that the only people on this thread who are interested in actually slagging Cotswolds off are anonymous or have no profile. If they did, would it say 'works for an outdoor shop'?!
 Graham T 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:
I'm not keen on the main shops.
However i love rock bottom as i have got a whole load of cheap stuff from there
 rock waif 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Graham T:
> (In reply to Jonno)

> > However i love rock bottom as i have got a whole load of cheap stuff from there

I was just going to say that, you read my mind (well hopefully not, actually). Rockbottom is great is are not bothered about "this seasons" style and colours etc.

Lakshmi 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

Well just think of how superior most of you can make yourselves feel if you swan around Cotswold's, S&R etc knowing you are a 'real' climber and everybody else in there is a lesser mortal.

rock waif 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Lakshmi:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>

I doubt if someone needs to visit a shop to feel like that. That's a feeling you can have anywhere, at any time, why restrict yourself?

Lakshmi 20 Dec 2006
In reply to rock waif:

lol @ rockwaif
 Wilbur 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

good sales and much better staff than S+R/EB etc
 Siward 20 Dec 2006
In reply to grynneman:
> (In reply to martin riddell)
> [...]
>
> It's like a jungle out there...it makes me wonder how I keep from going under..

Daddy, I don't wanna go to school
'Cos the teacher's a jerk, he must think I'm a fool
All the kids smoke reefer
I think it'd be cheaper
If I just got a job, learn to be a street sweeper
Dance to the beat
Shuffle my feet
Wear a shirt and tie and run with the creeps
'Cos you gotta have money ain't a damn thing funny
You got ta have a con in this land of milk and honey.

And so on- how rap music has gone downhill ever since
 Petzl 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

So, what, exactly, prompted this outburst? How many of the shops have you actually been in, anyway?

If you don't like them, don't go in!
 winter_burn 20 Dec 2006
cotswold give out more discounts to clubs and organizations than any other outdoor shop i know. they also price match . so there prices cant be that bad
SI A 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Wingman:

lol. yes the city store was always a bit of a joke.

i think they got in prada and paul smith designed ski wear for that lot.
 Norrie Muir 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Wingman:
>
> deep breathes! they just opened one in the city I walked past last night! has no functional kit in it whatsoever!!!!!!

Depends what city one is walking in and where one is going to use the "no functional kit". I find my Rab Summit sleeping bag is funtional for my use in the Scottish hills which I bought fron the City of Glasgow' Cotswold shop.

2pints 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

I've got a code for a 20% discount so I don't mind it at all!

Just wish the one in Harrogate had a bit more climbing and a bit less extreme rambler stuff
 John2 20 Dec 2006
In reply to SI A: Never mind Prada ski wear, you can get Prada skis these days - http://www.getoutdoors.com/goblog/index.php?/archives/300-Prada-Skis-By-Vol...
OP Anonymous 20 Dec 2006
In reply to John2: Quite.

Postmanpat 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

Oh dear,how embarassing for you.

No self respecting Hooray Henry would be seen North of Watford except to visit his country estate and since their idea of "outdoor sports" is killing small animals they would be purchasing smart green wellies or stout leather walking shoes."Approach shoes" wouldn't cross their minds.

You have mistaken nouveau riche peasants for their social betters
almost sane 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:
I have dodgy feet and need to wear othotic inserts.
The best advice I was given about buying boots was from Cotswold in Glasgow. The staff were patient, knowledgable and helpful (I helped by going midweek).

Their gear range is good for my needs (more summer/winter mountaineer than rock jock), and the prices seem OK.
 David Hooper 21 Dec 2006
In reply to 2pints:
> (In reply to Jonno)
>
>
> I've got a code for a 20% discount so I don't mind it at all!
>
> Just wish the one in Harrogate had a bit more climbing and a bit less extreme rambler stuff

I'll see your 20% on kit and raise you 5% on clothing (wonder if we freelance for the same company).

Cotswold Betws staff are very friendly and pretty knowledgeable ( but maybe thats cos Im a sad tyre-kicker who is in there at any opportunity)

Rock Bottom has some great bargains and a well stocked climbing section and used to have "Snowdonia Active" a wonderful little climbers cafe where you could take your dog, listen to good music and surf the net - now sadly demised.
Jonno 21 Dec 2006
In reply to David Hooper:
> (In reply to 2pints)
> [...]
>
> I'll see your 20% on kit and raise you 5% on clothing (wonder if we freelance for the same company).>

Yeh but they're still twice as expensive as everyone else !
>
> Rock Bottom has some great bargains and a well stocked climbing section and used to have "Snowdonia Active" a wonderful little climbers cafe where you could take your dog, listen to good music and surf the net - now sadly demised.

Ay Dave....and before that it used to be a Spar which opened until midnight..'now sadly demised'

Handy for the late night pasty and a bottle of Vin Rouge for when you got home.
 David Hooper 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno: Shurely the Shpa hash moved jusht up the road (hic)???
 charl 23 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

> Yeh but they're still twice as expensive as everyone else !

they sell everything at RRP just like eveyr other outdoor retailer,maybe youve just got a bee in your bonnet because you dont like them. eh? they need more high end stuff and less casual but how else do companies make their money. to keep the active bit going you need to sell other things. the staff actually have traing too and if they dont know something theres usuallly someone who can help you, better than some other nationwide stores ive been in.
In reply to 2pints:

Some of the guys at Cotswolds and Blacks in Harrogate buy their climbing gear in pateley Bridge.
But there again there aren't any climbing shops in Harrogate.
 2pints 23 Dec 2006
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

I wouldn't buy climbing gear in the shop in Harrogate as they don't seem to sell any!

After Xmas I'll probs be in Pateley to buy some cams if you're offering a UKC discount

54ms 23 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno:

I think that its good that lots of people want to pay full price for things in places like Cotswolds. It means that more gear is sold and there is more incentive to change the colours each year, so I can buy last years cheap.
salop eddie 28 Dec 2006
In reply to rock waif:

Problem over the last couple of years is that Cotswold have now destroyed Rock Bottom - or at least the one in Betws-y-Coed. I used to pick up loads of bargains but now they ship in stuff thats never been on sale in the main stream stores. Also cheap tees and trousers. A lot of the gear is cheaper up the road in other outdoor shops. However, at least the service is good and it does have the forcast on the door.

I would still buy my walking boots at Cotwolds. In the past few years I have bought 3 season and 4 season and my last pair the assistant spent an hour and a half fitting me out with a pair - i wanted some that i could walk in straight away. Then went up the road and did Y Garn above Ogwen to try em out - came down in the dark. And no blisters - most comfortable boots I have bought for ages.

Maybe you townies need to go shopping near some mountains!
potted shrimp 28 Dec 2006
In reply to Jonno: agreed...Cotswold is only useful for comparing prices...IMHO one of the very best is Needlesports in Keswick not just because it's staffed by climbers but because they stock the products climbers want and the prices are not ludicrous..their guidebook selection is really impressive..
 54ms 28 Dec 2006
In reply to potted shrimp:

And they do free postage!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...