UKC

Awesome Walls stamina champ

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pekkie 16 Jan 2007
Watching people struggle on the new pink 7b+ on the leaning wall on the right as you go in, I was wondering if anyone can beat (please, no replies 'if you supply the whips') Steve Roberts's (the little curly-haired git who looks like Roger Daltry in the 70's) feat of top roping this then the red 7a next door and then the 7b+ again. All with no rest and a slack rope. Yes we had two lines hogged so no replies from 'climbing wall etiquette' nazis.
Just wondering....
Serpico 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Pekkie:
Steve roberts toproping? That's impossible!
OP Pekkie 16 Jan 2007
In reply to Serpico:
> (In reply to Pekkie)
> Steve roberts toproping? That's impossible!

Chuckle. Nice one. The question was not who has the biggest balls, is the best technician or is the best leader. We're talking stamina.
There was a guy there last night 'warming down' on the pink 6a+ on the Awesome wall last night... it disgusts me!
In reply to Gary (Vindicta): How about Steve Mac doing Mecca six times in an hour?! (Kind of puts things in perspective!)
 Morgan Woods 17 Jan 2007
In reply to north country boy:

i didn't know he was a muslim?
Serpico 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods:
He's not he's a bingo addict.
 David Hooper 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Pekkie: Ive seen some young lad at Awesome who instead of lowering off the back wall after a route - downclimbs and unclips as he goes.
Ste Brom 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Pekkie:
Yeah, but he can throw a few nose hooks in, a luxury us proportioned people can throw in.

Besides, Im not jealous, I've had more sex than him, with 'real' women, its proportional to climbing wall prowess....
 willhunt 17 Jan 2007
In reply to David Hooper:
Thats obscene!

In reply to Pekkie:
Ill give it a go. Ive never even tried 7a or above indoors so would be interested to see if I could even do it.
OP Pekkie 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Ste Brom:
> (In reply to Pekkie)
> > Besides, Im not jealous, I've had more sex than him, with 'real' women, its proportional to climbing wall prowess....
It's not that I don't believe you, Ste, but do you have photographic proof that you could post for us, or maybe a second could confirm your claims?

OP Pekkie 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Serpico:
> (In reply to Pekkie)
> Steve roberts toproping? That's impossible!

First - congratulations on your profile. It must be the most impressive on UKC - loads of hard routes and some excellent action photos. Just one thing - this 'RP' after the routes - does that refer to 'red point'? That is, where you top rope the route first? Just wondering.

Serpico 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Pekkie:
Mostly worked on lead, you try TRing The Thumb, or Urgent Action.
Mind you I do know one person who managed to...
OP Pekkie 17 Jan 2007
In reply to Serpico:
> (In reply to Pekkie)
> Mostly worked on lead,
I know, I was trying to be clever...There is a place for stamina training top roping indoors but some people seem to object to it - hogging routes etc. I've not been happy myself when you get a squad monopolising a route I want to lead.
 Ben Farley 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Pekkie: Yeah, it's shocking isn't it? There's a group of fellas who are forever monopolising several of the routes at Awesome Walls. If they're there tonight I'm going to have a serious word with them. They'd better watch out!

Ben Farley 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Pekkie:
> It's not that I don't believe you, Ste, but do you have photographic proof that you could post for us, or maybe a second could confirm your claims?

I'm sure Ste has the photographic evidence but I doubt it'll be good enough proof that anyone else was involved. For that, Ste will need to have sex with another actual person. Statements signed by Ste alone will not suffice.

OP Pekkie 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben Farley:
> (In reply to Pekkie) Yeah, it's shocking isn't it? There's a group of fellas who are forever monopolising several of the routes at Awesome Walls. If they're there tonight I'm going to have a serious word with them. They'd better watch out!

You wouldn't say that if it was big Ewan!

Andy Farnell 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Pekkie: Well not many people can claim to have top-roped Cry Freedom, so a 7b+, then a 7a then a 7b+ should seem easy

Andy F
OP Pekkie 18 Jan 2007
In reply to andy farnell:
> (In reply to Pekkie) Well not many people can claim to have top-roped Cry Freedom, so a 7b+, then a 7a then a 7b+ should seem easy
>
> Someone told me that he has done more hard sports routes at Malham than anyone. If so, then Southport would have another local hero...
OP Pekkie 19 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben Farley:
> (In reply to Pekkie)
> >
> For that, Ste will need to have sex with another actual person.

Just let's get the rules, clear. You are ruling out blow-up dolls, hands, fists, pillows, imagination, fantasy, onanism, other species? That's scary! No wonder Ste hasn't replied.
Serpico 19 Jan 2007
In reply to Pekkie:
"Someone told me that he has done more hard sports routes at Malham than anyone. "
He's got a bit of catching up to beat the likes of: Mitchell, Maclure, Dunne, Sellars, Vickers, Parry, Leach, Etc.
Still ahead of me 'tho, but I've got youth on my side.
 Tyler 19 Jan 2007
In reply to Pekkie:

> slack rope

Are you sure? Must be a different Steve Roberts!
 Ben Farley 19 Jan 2007
In reply to Pekkie:
> Just let's get the rules, clear. You are ruling out blow-up dolls, hands, fists, pillows, imagination, fantasy, onanism, other species? That's scary! No wonder Ste hasn't replied.

I'm sure Ste is busy created some "evidence" for us all to peruse. When it arrives, just look carefully at his "partner" though, she may have visible seams...
 richard kirby 19 Jan 2007
In reply to Tyler:

Blonde curly hair, looks like Rodger Daltrey in the 70's

Same one I think..must have got brave.

Legend in his own shell suit.
OP Pekkie 19 Jan 2007
In reply to Serpico:
> (> He's got a bit of catching up to beat the likes of: Mitchell, Maclure, Dunne, Sellars, Vickers, Parry, Leach, Etc.
>You would think so wouldn't you? But they haven't spent the last 15 years there!
OP Pekkie 19 Jan 2007
In reply to Tyler:
> >
> Are you sure? Must be a different Steve Roberts!

All I can say is that I was holding the rope and I don't give tight rope much - though I demand C-sharp myself.
Can I put you down as a bitter and twisted 'not beating the feat' then?

Strangely there is another Steve Roberts. He is a Geordie and also climbs at Malham!
OP Pekkie 19 Jan 2007
In reply to richard kirby:
> (In reply to Tyler)
>
> Same one I think..must have got brave.
>
> Blimey, this was meant to be a joke thread and its attracting some right miserable gits. There's nothing brave in top rope training....
Serpico 19 Jan 2007
In reply to Pekkie:
>
"Blimey, this was meant to be a joke thread and its attracting some right miserable gits."
>

Ey, ey, calm down, calm down...
Actually I've just noticed that this is Awesome Walls, and not The NW Face. Steve always had an aversion to Awesome Walls because it was in Liverpool.
I knew he was a scouser at heart.
 Mick Ward 19 Jan 2007
In reply to Serpico:

We're all scousers at heart.

Mick
OP Pekkie 19 Jan 2007
In reply to Serpico:
> >
> Ey, ey, calm down, calm down...
> > I knew he was a scouser at heart.

Oh thats cruel and cuts right to the heart. He had to be persuaded to go to Awesome because he thought his car would be stolen in Liverpool! One of his ideas is to build a wall between Southport and Liverpool to keep the scallies out.
OP Pekkie 19 Jan 2007
In reply to Mick Ward:
> > We're all scousers at heart.
>
> You speak for yourself. I've had my wallet pinched twice at Pex, been burgled twice and had my car stolen. Apart from that, Liverpool and its people have a rich heritage and warmly deserve the Capital of Culture accolade.

In reply to Pekkie: This 'thread' is a load of absolute bollocks. Why cant a person go out an enjoy themselves at a wall without such comment?
OP Pekkie 03 Feb 2007
In reply to Stephen Roberts:
Oops! Apologies Steve. It was meant to be light hearted and in genuine admiration of your stamina. I forgot that the average mental/chronological age of some UKC posters is about 12.
In reply to Pekkie: Tis ok Pete. But to those with an aversion to climbing with a top rope - I wonder if they would have a different attitude if they had experienced two death defying accidents resulting in multiple fractures to: the ankle, leg, spine, skull, shoulder, elbow, and fingers?

Anyway last thursday I LED that fingery red (7a) route; but I got the greatest satisfaction from doing ALL the routes (mix of lead and top rope) in the centre of 7a and above, and making an on-sight top rope accent of the red (7c) on the back wall.

Perhaps the routes are over graded?
OP Pekkie 04 Feb 2007
In reply to Stephen Roberts:
>>
> Perhaps the routes are over graded?

Well I cerainly don't think that the routes at Awesome are overgraded - but then I am an overweight, ageing bumbly. Obviously if you go to a wall a lot and learn all the tricks routes can seem a lot easier but I assumed that indoor grades are given for on sight leads. If they are for red points then that is diferent. As for top roping indoors I can't see whu people get sniffy about it - so long as you're not hogging lines. Sometimes you feel like leading sometimes top roping. Just so long as you enjoy yourself.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...