UKC

ticks on children help please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
homealone 02 Jun 2007
we have just got back from a trip to skye and torridon and I have found a tick on my son's back. It may have been there for some days. I re read the article from earlier in the year, but has anyone got any tips? i seem to remember it is better to go either anti clockwise or clockwise for some reason????

Bruce Hooker 03 Jun 2007
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:

Chloroform them and pull them off with tweezers.
 Bruce Hooker 03 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone:

I meant chloroform the ticks, not the kids.
Lord Percy 03 Jun 2007
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

Liar.
 ando227 03 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone: just pull them out with tweezers or use a special tool that you can buy from the vets. these twist them out and it doesn't matter which way.
keep an eye out on their health for the next few weeks and if they get a rash or feel like they have flu then get them to the docs.
 Steve Perry 04 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone: Get a tick remover from www.backpackinglight.co.uk or a method I've seen used is blob some vaseline over it. It then pulls itself out fighting for air.
 JWB 04 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone:

Use tweezers and really pinch the skin to get under it. Inspected the rest of the body.

Keep the tick as you can get a blood test done on the tick and its easier to tell if it is infected than human blood test.

DO NOT put anything on it like vasaline or burn it off. This makes it spit out the blood its sucked back into the person, increasing the risk of infection.

As has been said...Observe the bite area. If it goes like a bullseye then to the docs for antibiotics. However not all infected bites go like this.

You can also get TBE (meningitis like infection) but can be vacinated.

I had about 15 tics on me yesterday and often pull them out.

bergalia 04 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone:
seem to remember it is better to go either anti clockwise or clockwise for some reason????

We have big 'killer' ticks in Australia. And yes it is important to twist them out ANTICLOCKWISE - despite what an early message tells you. That way you remove all traces of their jaws which if left can fester.
Cats 04 Jun 2007
> (In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor)
>
> Chloroform them and pull them off with tweezers.

I saw a vet chloroform a tick on a cat's ear and it just fell off. However AFAIK getting chloroform isn't so easy these days.
 Katie Weston 04 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone:
See also
http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=398
you need to watch out for symptoms of Lymes disease. It' pretty rare but pretty nasty.
 freerangecat 04 Jun 2007
In reply to Cats:
> (In reply to Bruce Hooker)
> [...]
>
> I saw a vet chloroform a tick on a cat's ear and it just fell off. However AFAIK getting chloroform isn't so easy these days.

I'll remember that one. Got to have some perks being a chemistry PhD...

Cat

karl walton 04 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone:
Ticks on children!
Those damn boulders can't even climb children in an ethical fashion.
Iain Forrest 04 Jun 2007
I thought you weren't meant to use chloroform or other chemicals on them as it can make them vomit some blood back up and so increase the risk of infection. Maybe chloroform works too quickly for that, though - I don't know.

Anyway, just pull the tick straight out with tweezers and watch to make sure the kid doesn't get a big mark or a rash there; if they do, see a doctor straight away.
 Bruce Hooker 04 Jun 2007
In reply to Cats:

> However AFAIK getting chloroform isn't so easy these days.

I wondered about that in the UK where you don't seem to be able to buy anything stronger than tea these days! You can still buy chloroform in France so next time you're over...

In reply to Iain Forrest:

I'm only repeating what I've been told, I'm not a doctor, so this is to be taken with the usual reserves. Personally I've usually just pulled them out (I've had three already this spring) taking care to get all the bits out but one does hear of lime disease from time to time.. it seems to be rare though.
wcdave 04 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone: Just pull them out with your fingers.
johnsdowens 04 Jun 2007
In reply to bergalia:

> We have big 'killer' ticks in Australia. And yes it is important to twist them out ANTICLOCKWISE - despite what an early message tells you. That way you remove all traces of their jaws which if left can fester.

I'm afraid that is not the case. Pull STRAIGHT OUT, gently and slowly - the tick will release as it is being pulled as long as it has time to react. A successful removal leaves the live tick crawling over the tweezers - then you are at liberty to crush the little bugger any way you want!
Iain Forrest 04 Jun 2007
Aye, I must have had at least a hundred ticks embedded over the years, have always just pulled the out with my fingers, and have never had and don't know anyone who has had Lyme's disease. Maybe it's getting more common, though.
 David Hooper 04 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone: Despiute what bruce Hooker said - DO NOT put ANY chemical ie chloroform ,vaseline, insect repellent etc on the tick or tyry to burn it off - this will make it regurgitate itsd stomach contents into ther wound with the risk of infection. Tweezer and gewntly twist out. If successful the tick should still be alive and wriggling.

Go to your local vet and they will probably give you a tick remover for free. It is like a teeny plastic crowbar or clawhammer end which twists and prises the tick ouyt.

I always carry one for the dog and myself.

Please pleaser take the Lyme Disease seriously, my partner had it for years with an original misdiagnosis of MS, thus it wasnt treated properly orignally and has left her with some permanent nerve damage etc.

If you have any suspicions at all - then contact an expert or INSIST that you doc treats for Lymes - most GPs aint up to speed on Lymesd.
 Bruce Hooker 04 Jun 2007
In reply to David Hooper:

I cede to your greater knowledge, I was just repeating what I've heard... I just pull them straight out myself... putting them to sleep seemed like a good idea but I'll take your word for it.
bergalia 04 Jun 2007
In reply to johnsdowens:
> (In reply to bergalia)
>
> [...]
>
> I'm afraid that is not the case. Pull STRAIGHT OUT, gently and slowly -

Beg to differ old son...but let's not fall out. You carry on pulling, and I'll continue twisting. Hopefully with same result.
johnsdowens 04 Jun 2007
In reply to bergalia:

> Beg to differ old son...but let's not fall out. You carry on pulling, and I'll continue twisting. Hopefully with same result.

Fair enough, but remember that we are talking about British deer ticks, and every single piece of advice involves a straight pull. Perhaps your Australian killer ticks do need twisting, but over here that isn't the case.

bergalia 04 Jun 2007
In reply to johnsdowens:
> (In reply to bergalia)
>
> [...]
>
> Fair enough, but remember that we are talking about British deer ticks, and every single piece of advice involves a straight pull.

True. Off at a tangent thought you might like to browse a short piece in case any climbers venture 'down under' (little sustained climbing apart from sea cliffs.

Ticks inject a toxin that may cause local irritation or a mild allergic reaction,however most tick bites cause little or no symptoms.In some cases ticks can pose a serious threat to human health.Tick borne diseases, tick paralysis and severe allergic reactions,while uncommon,can pose a serious health threat. Tick-borne diseases occurring in Australia are Australian Tick Typhus or ‘Spotted Fever’(along the coastal strip of eastern Australia from North Queensland to Victoria) and ‘Flinders Island Spotted Fever’(in Victoria,Tasmania and Flinders Island in Bass Strait). Early symptoms of tick paralysis can include rashes, headache,fever,flu like symptoms,tenderness of lymph nodes,unsteady gait,intolerance to bright light, increased weakness of the limbs and partial facial people tick bite may cause a severe allergic reaction or anaphylactic shock,which can be life threatening.If swelling of the face and throat causes breathing difficulties,seek urgent medical attention.
To remove a tick Remove a tick as soon as possible after locating it. Use fine pointed tweezers and grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible.Gently pull the tick, twisting with steady pressure, anti-clockwise. Do not try to kill the tick with methylated spirits or any other chemicals.This will cause the tick to inject more toxins.If you have a severe infestation by larval stage ticks (often referred to as grass ticks) take a bath for 30 minutes with 1 cup of bicarbonate of soda.

Even so - Australia is a great country to visit, apart from the snakes, salt-water crocs, sharks, spiders, octopii...zzzzzzzzzz
bergalia 04 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone: Sorry - should have mentioned the above is an extract from the Aus Gov 'Bush healthcare' pamphlet.
 mickwood 04 Jun 2007

hmm...wide and varied advice here!?

This is the basics to what I've read over the years...

You grab the tick, with tweezers, as close to your skin as possible then in an ANTI-CLOCKWISE direction twist whilst applying gentle pressure by gently pulling at the same time, make sure you grab the 'pinchers' and not the body! (I think basically the tick gets tired and lets go!). Make sure that you have removed the pinchers from the skin and there is nothing left as this will risk infection.

Once removed, bag up the tick with the date so that it can be used if you develop any symptoms of Lymes desease (rash around the area of the bite developing anywere up to 30 days after the bite).

Hope that helps?
srnet 04 Jun 2007
In reply to bergalia:

> We have big 'killer' ticks in Australia. And yes it is important to twist them out ANTICLOCKWISE - despite what an early message tells you. That way you remove all traces of their jaws which if left can fester.

OK so why ANTICLOCKWISE ?

It may be a bit of often repeated and possibly correct advice, or equally it could be a load of nonsense.

Where is the evidence that shows it makes any differance which way you twist them on removal ?
 David Hooper 04 Jun 2007
In reply to srnet: I dont think it actually matters
 mickwood 04 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone:

I assume its to do with the direction the tick burrows in? (clockwise) your just reversing it to minimise the risk of leaving part of the tick in, an infection risk?

besides...it says to do it in all advice!?
Iain Forrest 04 Jun 2007
In reply to srnet:
> OK so why ANTICLOCKWISE ?

Don't forget that bergalia is posting from the Southern hemisphere - it'll have to be CLOCKWISE up here
srnet 04 Jun 2007
In reply to David Hooper:

> (In reply to srnet) I dont think it actually matters

Nor do I.
srnet 04 Jun 2007
In reply to Iain Forrest:

> Don't forget that bergalia is posting from the Southern hemisphere - it'll have to be CLOCKWISE up here

Yes I have seen that bit of so called 'advice' to.
srnet 04 Jun 2007
In reply to mickwood:

> I assume its to do with the direction the tick burrows in? (clockwise) your just reversing it to minimise the risk of leaving part of the tick in, an infection risk?

Why assume. Where is the evidence ?

Why would ticks screw themselves into you in one direction only, if indeed they actually screw in at all.

Accepted that daft as it may sound removing them by twisting one way may actually be better, I will only believe that if I see some decent evidence.

> besides...it says to do it in all advice!?

You mean the possible urban myth is constantly repeated ?
 mickwood 04 Jun 2007
In reply to srnet:

well...if i knew ya felt that strongly about it all?? lol!
 jfmchivall 04 Jun 2007
In reply to srnet:

I regularly have to remove ticks from children, part of my job. The best thing to use is a "tick twister", available from the vets or pet shop. Failing that, tweezers will do, or your fingernails at a pinch (no pun intended).

Twist the tick out gently, I prefer clockwise but that's because I'm right handed. Only a relatively small percentage of ticks carry lyme disease, and the risk of infection is reasonably low if the tick is removed promptly (within a day or so). Having said that, a colleague of mine caught it but spotted the "bullseye" rash and got antibiotics from the GP which sorted it. Left untreated, it's nasty, so best to be aware, but not scared. It is on the increase though in britain, as is the tick population (bad news for grouse keepers apparently as deer ticks love grouse chicks or so I've heard).
 John P 04 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone:

If they screwed in, they would have to be threaded. In Germany, all the information about tick removal recommends a direct pulling action. Pet tweezers are sold with the indication of twist, but the ticks that feed on pets have engorged to such an extent that the tweezers can comfortably grab the hypostome, and not rip the head off.

Side on view of the hypostome:
http://www.zal.tu-cottbus.de/zal/mikro/Arthrop/bilder/S_zecke_3.jpg

Bit of information here about how the tick attaches.
http://mediwire.skyscape.com/main/Default.aspx?P=Content&ArticleID=3254...
 sjbutterworth 04 Jun 2007
In reply to jfmchivall:
> (In reply to srnet)
>
> I regularly have to remove ticks from children, part of my job.

Excellent - I'd love to see your Job Description
tfs 05 Jun 2007
In reply to homealone: thanks very much for all that, I only waited for the first reply to send me the link then got rid of it straight away. We put it in a specimen botttle and it was fun for the b oys to watch it crawling around. It looked pretty whole and i will keep an eye on it (the bite not the tick which is now very dead). i wouldn't have thought anything of it if i hadn't read the articles earlier this year.

thanks to all

sarah not logged on as myself as have no idea what my password etc was before but tony little noticed his boys were up for discussion as i mentioned the tick to him!
 elsiem 05 Jun 2007
In reply to JWB: You mention TBE but in this context its rather irrelevant as TBE is not endemic on Skye. Its worthwhile remembering that TBE has a distribution that doesn't include the UK.

http://www.tbe-info.com/upload/medialibrary/p30-31_map_english91552.jpg
 lee birtwistle 05 Jun 2007
> (In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor)
>
> Chloroform them and pull them off with tweezers.

thats no way to treat a child.
In reply to srnet:

> Why would ticks screw themselves into you in one direction only, if indeed they actually screw in at all

They don't screw themselves in. However, there are spines on their blood-sucking tube (rostrum) that prevent extraction. These apparently flatten if the tick is twisted, easing extraction.

http://www.otom.com/technology.htm

I await comments of the form "well, they're just trying to sell their gizmo, so they would say that".

I note that the Center for Disease Control instructions say to use a simple, slow, gentle pulling action:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_tickremoval.htm

It also mentions not to use chemicals or vaseline.
Juicy Lucy 07 Jun 2007
In reply to otter227:

Hello

How are you doing? Me and Tenk off to Scotland tomorrow for two weeks might catch up? If not, if you visit Yorkshire give us a bell!!

K
X

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...