UKC

Leo Holding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mr Rain 04 Jul 2007
What do you honestly think about his new venture into TV reality shows?

Sorry but in my humble opinion, my estimation of him has really gone down hill, and I dont care how talented an athlete he is. There's enough of that shit around already, can no one come up with anything new?

Media for the masses.

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Benjii 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

o he hasn't has he? do you know what the shows about?
In reply to Mr Rain:

BBC
' Hello Mr Rain Here's a load of money to come and make a TV show and potentionally launch yourself a media career'

Mr Rain
' No thanks '

I don't think so.

KeithW 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

Well, it might encourage people to get his name right, at least.
Ian 04 Jul 2007
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:
What, so he cant criticise the guy as he's a climber?
 seagull 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Den5:

He would appear to have jumped aboard the Bear Grills gravy train by the sound of things. Next to be seen wrestling crocodiles and various such shite. Can't fault him for making a living but it does sound rather sad.
 UKC Forums 04 Jul 2007
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Down the Pub - A forum for general non-climbing discussions and debate. Discuss politics, society, sport, whatever you feel like on this very popular forum. Please keep the trivial and extra light-hearted stuff in The Chat Room.
Please note - Unsuitable posts in DTP will be either moved to the Chat Room and closed, or just deleted. 'Unsuitable' means chatty posts between mates, trivial jokes and banter, mimic posts or posts with bad language in the starter post or title.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 Pauline 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain: why what programme is he appearing on?
In reply to Ian:
> (In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut)
> What, so he cant criticise the guy as he's a climber?

Did I say that?

Anyone can criticise who they like. But before slagging someone off put yourself in thier shoes.

trevor simpson 04 Jul 2007
In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

> Anyone can criticise who they like. But before slagging someone off put yourself in thier shoes.

You should always walk a mile in the other person's shoes before criticising them.

By then you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes.

Postmanpat 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:
>
>
> Media for the masses.
>
>
Outrageous . Wasting media on the masses ? Disgustng waste of resources I say....
 seagull 04 Jul 2007
In reply to trevor simpson:

Yes they'd have trouble hearing you and probably be quite annoyed.
Nick B not logged on 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

I think he is probably trying to make a good living, doing the sport(s) that he loves. Sounds pretty good to me.

Not really seen much of him on TV other than the Top Gear thing, so could not really comment on the quality of programmes he is in.
 Tony the Blade 04 Jul 2007

I spy a green eyed monster.

What's it to you what Leo does or doesn't do with his time, is he on this earth merely for your entertainment?

didn't think so!
 Harry The Owl 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain: Whereas of course accountancy, secretarial work, plumbers mate, everlasting student, hairdressers apprentice etc are all so much nobler...
 Justin T 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

If you're going to criticize you could at least get his surname correct.
 Adam Lincoln 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

Fair play to him. If someone gave you the chance of doing this (not that they ever would) you would snap it up.
Wingman 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

I think it's a pity - normally 'athletes' move across to the media when they have finished being athletes - unless they no longer want to be taken seriously and would rather forge a career for themselves in front of the camera.......
Nick B not logged on 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Wingman:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
>
> I think it's a pity - normally 'athletes' move across to the media when they have finished being athletes - unless they no longer want to be taken seriously and would rather forge a career for themselves in front of the camera.......

Normally 'athletes' in mainstream sports, lets face it you are talking about football, rugby, cricket, athletic and one or two others, have a good income stream whilst competing.
 fivestar 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Pauline:
> (In reply to Mr Rain)
> ah is this what we are on about?
> http://countrywalking.blogspot.com/2007/06/leo-houlding-to-climb-everest-in...

I think Mr. Rain is probably more upset about the following:

http://www.dmmclimbing.com/newsArticle.asp?id=43

Cheers

James
Mr Rain 04 Jul 2007
In reply to fivestar:

Erm, you are quite wrong, I would not wish to present any show of this type what so ever.

That would be a compromise of my principles, cant some of you remember I am Buddhist? But I forget, few of you on here understand such things, believe in them , respect them even, etc...

You think I would do anything for money? Wrong.

I do what I want to do, not just for money. In fact money, IS the root of all evil!

I'd need a damn good reason to get myself on TV.

Comedy, I wouldnt mind trying to make people laugh. At least thats spreading a little more happiness in a world full of sorrow.

Jealous of Houlding? not really, I dont envy him, and I could'nt work with Bonnington, cant stand the man, and thats Leos mentor. Holding, Houlding, whats in a name???

I think that picture, didnt tell the whole story, he's selling himself, and playing at looking cool, at least that's what it looks like. Pose factor 10 to me. His choice, his life.

Have you heard of Samara? Its real.
 Pauline 04 Jul 2007
In reply to fivestar: ahhh the light begins to dawn!
 fivestar 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

I would suggest that the wrong end of the stick you have got, but I have a feeling you're just baiting me. Personally, I think a world without reality TV would be a good thing - raise the intellectual level of the modern media somewhere above the feckless morass in which it currently resides.

Cheers

James
Bingly Bong 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain: That would be a compromise of my principles, cant some of you remember I am Buddhist?

You've not been a buddhist for long, so what about before you were a buddhist?
 Dangerous Dave 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain: You are a tw*t! If it bothers you don't watch it. He is making some money and having a good time doing it. Lucky man I think?
 niggle 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:

> In fact money, IS the root of all evil!

The quote's actually "love of money is the root of all evil"
 tony 04 Jul 2007
In reply to niggle:

That's the Christian one. Maybe Buddhists have another one?
Bingly Bong 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:
> (In reply to fivestar)
>
> Jealous of Houlding? not really, I dont envy him, and I could'nt work with Bonnington, cant stand the man, and thats Leos mentor. Holding, Houlding, whats in a name???
>
> I think that picture, didnt tell the whole story, he's selling himself, and playing at looking cool, at least that's what it looks like. Pose factor 10 to me. His choice, his life.
>
> Have you heard of Samara? Its real.

Since we are going to refer to Buddhism and quote from the Practice and ethics, I suggest you read:

http://www.fwbo.org/buddhism/ethics.html

Particularly point 4... Or maybe you are being kindly, helpful and harmonious with your comments above?

Or is the website wrong?
 tony 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:
> Have you heard of Samara?

It's a city in Russia. Not sure what that has to do with Leo Houlding.
 victorclimber 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain: whats the difference in Leo,doing something hes good at and making money doing it,and all the no talent outdoor pursuits guys ? just dont watch the program..
Bingly Bong 04 Jul 2007
In reply to tony: Nah, it's a desert innit?
 Shani 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Mr Rain:
> What do you honestly think about his new venture into TV reality shows?
>
> Sorry but in my humble opinion, my estimation of him has really gone down hill, and I dont care how talented an athlete he is. There's enough of that shit around already, can no one come up with anything new?
>
> Media for the masses.
>
> ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I can understand your apprehension, but having seen Leo on Top Gear I reckon he has been brought on board by the TV conpanies as the real deal - to deliver REAL adventure to TV.

Like Bore Grylls, I think it is cool that he is being paid to do something he enjoys. However, if like Bore he ends up hamming it up in a piss poor action stylee, then I will be straight on here to beast him.

I reckon Leo has enough tricks in his bag to make good TV without reverting to Bore's faux drama!

Good luck Leo!
In reply to Bingly Bong:

no fewer than four speech precepts are mentioned, the others enjoining that our speech should be kindly, helpful, and harmonious.

I see very few examples of that in his posts. He is obviously a troll, especially seeing as he can never back up his arguments with any evidence.
 BALD EAGLE 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Am Fear Liath Mor:
> (In reply to Bingly Bong)
>
> no fewer than four speech precepts are mentioned, the others enjoining that our speech should be kindly, helpful, and harmonious.
>
> I see very few examples of that in his posts. He is obviously a troll, especially seeing as he can never back up his arguments with any evidence.

I'll second that...

RBK 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Shani:
> (In reply to Mr Rain)
> [...]
>
> I can understand your apprehension, but having seen Leo on Top Gear I reckon he has been brought on board by the TV conpanies as the real deal - to deliver REAL adventure to TV.
>
Except it wasn't actually him that jumped on Top Gear by all accounts so don't necessarily assume he's whiter than white. That is no criticism of him at all though. He's having a great time and getting paid, good on him. The bitter, twisted and bored of UKC should grow up!
 Shani 04 Jul 2007
In reply to Kendal47:
> Except it wasn't actually him that jumped on Top Gear by all accounts so don't necessarily assume he's whiter than white.

NO WAY....Is this true? Was it TE instead? The Berghaus site claims Leo made the jump - even if it wasn't Leo's jump that made it on to the film.

I understand TV is produced and edited to amuse us couch potatoes but it is the PRETENDING of danger and faux drama that Bore is guilty of, which really narks me. Of Bore's programs I have watched, all are generally patronising.

> The bitter, twisted and bored of UKC should grow up!

But then what would we do?
 Harry The Owl 05 Jul 2007
> That would be a compromise of my principles, cant some of you remember I am Buddhist? But I forget, few of you on here understand such things, believe in them , respect them even, etc...

Come on then, what Buddhist principle is violated by being a TV presenter???????

> I do what I want to do, not just for money. In fact money, IS the root of all evil!
>
>
> Comedy, I wouldnt mind trying to make people laugh.

Well done... I think you have succeeded.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...