UKC

Repairing torn hard shell pants?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
99atkijp 15 Dec 2007
Afternoon all,

Right, ripped my sallopettes in the mountains earlier this year, I dont want to buy new ones as I'm sure the rip is fixable. I've heard different methods, spinaker tape with seam seal, goretex repair companies, duct tape etc. With it getting to that time of year an all I finally need to pull the finger out and get around to fixxing my trousers...
Thought I'd ask about on UKC and would appreciate any advice you might have, and directions as to where you can get the materials for your hard shell repairs would be much appreciated too...
Cheers for your help
JPGA
 Oceanic 15 Dec 2007
In reply to 99atkijp:

I've put holes in my salopettes a few times and have had good results repairing them with a sewing machine and fabric from Pennine Outdoors. This is much easier to do if the trousers in question have full length side zips so you can open them up to get the sewing machine in.
 biscuit 15 Dec 2007
In reply to 99atkijp:

I would agree with the proper repair frm pennine outdoors - take them to a dry cleaners that does alterations if you're not up to a sewing machine.

HOWEVER my hard shell pants are still going strong despite a thogh to ankle length crampon rip ( don't ask ) fixed with black gaffer tape in February. Not even replaced the tape yet :0)
 Lemony 15 Dec 2007
In reply to biscuit: Ditto, mine have a hole I could fit my head and shoulder through but a bit of duct tape on them's lasted since the end of january.
 Lemony 15 Dec 2007
In reply to Lemony: Unsurprisingly my rip was also a crampon point.
99atkijp 15 Dec 2007
In reply to 99atkijp:

Cheers for your suggestions...I had duct taped them as a temporary measure, may well try the sewing method...Many thanks much appreciated
pwhiteside 15 Dec 2007
In reply to 99atkijp: I used gaffa tape on my hardshell trousers for ages and it did the job well for obviously a very small price. It gave me time to save up for a pair of paramo's which are in my opinion better than any hardshell trousers I have worn and easier to repair after those little crampon accidents!
scrubmunched 15 Dec 2007
In reply to 99atkijp: I use my tent repair kit and get a great job done.
 3leggeddog 15 Dec 2007
In reply to scrubmunched:
After repairing with gaffa tape, either tumble dry or iron the tape in place. Secures the tape well

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...