UKC

NEWS: Sonnie Trotter on Rhapsody E11 .. steps to success

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 20 May 2008
Conditions were good at Dumbarton Rock tonight and the Canadian climber Sonnie Trotter looked solid on his lead attempt on Rhapsody according to Dave Brown of Hot Aches, makers of the E11 film. Rhapsody the first climb to be given the grade of E11 is Dave Macleod's.......

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=05&year=2008#n44375
 Richard Hall 20 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Oooh so close.

Good luck Sonnie.

And excellent live reporting Mick.
 Sarah R 21 May 2008
In reply to Richard Hall:

Argh the suspense is killing me! E11 is my fav film and must've watched it about 20 times! lol I hope it Rhapsody is actually E11! i'm now on tenterhooks - i want to know if he made it! haha :oD
 Sarah R 21 May 2008
Oh i just read that properly! Soooo close! fingers crossed!
 JLS 21 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I really like his style setting off from the ground on 'Requiem Direct Start' (15m, E3 5b) on which he placed no gear. On reaching the ledge he placed a couple of runner in start of Requiem crack and paused for a 10 minute breather. After getting his shoes back on and shedding a jumper he proceeded to flow up the Requiem crack as he'd done on the headpoint of Requiem. Pausing for what seemed like an age at the top of the crack - perhaps 15 minutes - he shook-out and placed his last bits of gear before nervously setting out on the final head wall, commenting that it's a bit different on the lead. Once he got going he look fine on the head wall until he fell from a high point more or less as seen in the picture, taking an 8m-10m fall which actually looked quite tame in comparison to some of Dave Mac's falls from the top.

A few more goes at the top moves on top rope followed... I guess that's what it takes.

But like I say his uber perfect style with regard to gear placements and single push methodology is impressive.
 Alex Roddie 21 May 2008
So it's very likely he'll do it, then--if not on his next attempt, then soon.

Amazing. I wonder what he will think of the grade.
 JLS 21 May 2008
 smithaldo 21 May 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

I imagine he will think 5.14 odd.

also, only seen the dvd once but are the top moves not the stopper moves? It could be a long time coming yet.
To_Boldly_Go 21 May 2008
In reply to JLS:

Excellent pics.. T'will be seriously interesting to watch his progress ...
 JLS 21 May 2008
In reply to To_Boldly_Go:

Thanks.
(I still owe you an email...)
 nicnic 21 May 2008
can someone set up a live cam please? i'll chip in..
 Jeff25 21 May 2008
In reply to smithaldo:
> (In reply to Alex Roddie)
>
> I imagine he will think 5.14 odd.
>
> also, only seen the dvd once but are the top moves not the stopper moves? It could be a long time coming yet.

That covers a multitude of grades! - i think it unlikely that he'd grade it anything outside this Window!!
Sam L 22 May 2008
In reply to smithaldo:
> (In reply to Alex Roddie)
>
> I imagine he will think 5.14 odd.

5.14a, b or c? That's a bit of a range-not a very telling prediction mystic meg!

nz Cragrat 22 May 2008
In reply to Sam L:

Interesting from his blog...

There has been a lot on my mind lately about climbing, most importantly, about climbing Rhapsody, I have made a new discovery which may change the future of the line, but I won't go into that just yet, I'll bring it up again when I feel the time is right and when I feel like I can articulate the situation without complication.
 Skyfall 22 May 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:

Yes, I read that and wondered what it was all about.

Is there a little trap door into the rock behind which is the holy grail?

Or has he simply found a new sequence or gear placements (the former being more likely I imagine).
 Fraser 22 May 2008
In reply to JonC:
> (In reply to nz Cragrat)
>
> Yes, I read that and wondered what it was all about.
>
All will be revealed in an Easter Egg on JLS's soon-to-be-released DVD of recent events!
 Alex Roddie 22 May 2008
In reply to JonC:
> Yes, I read that and wondered what it was all about.

I bet Dave MacLeod missed some obvious holds and it's actually VS.
In reply to nz Cragrat: I saw thought. Wonder what he means?
In reply to Alex Roddie: Or someone has worked out that if you go round the side you can walk up?
 JLS 22 May 2008
In reply to Fraser:

>"All will be revealed in an Easter Egg"

The funny thing is he did mention something the other day but it looks like he's had second thoughts going public so I'll keep stoom.
In reply to JLS: He will have to spill the beans eventually.
Sam L 22 May 2008
In reply to nz Cragrat:
> (In reply to Sam L)
>
> Interesting from his blog...
>
> There has been a lot on my mind lately about climbing, most importantly, about climbing Rhapsody, I have made a new discovery which may change the future of the line, but I won't go into that just yet, I'll bring it up again when I feel the time is right and when I feel like I can articulate the situation without complication.

Intriguing.... probably bolted the thing, and will 'bring it up' when he is back in Canada and can 'articulate the situation' without his testicles being bolted by the Scottish anti bolt mafia....
Sam
 Fraser 22 May 2008
In reply to Sam L:

He was talking fairly openly about it at Dumby tonight (Thursday), so I imagine details will be on his blog soon.
 telemarker 22 May 2008

This is like christmas I really want to know what it is. Surely its either to do with the moves/holds or grade. Still pretty open though I grant you.
 telemarker 22 May 2008
In reply to telemarker:

Ok that really does make me sound like a sad individual, to much studying I think . . .
 gingerkate 22 May 2008
In reply to telemarker:
Everyone reading is puzzling over it just the same, so if you're sad we all are!
 Fraser 22 May 2008
In reply to gingerkate:

I wish I'd got a mini-USB cable with me from work - mine's no good and I've got some pix to upload of tonight's lead. Aaargh - looks good on the wee screen!
 telemarker 22 May 2008
In reply to gingerkate:

phew
 JLS 22 May 2008
In reply to Fraser:

My rubbish photo should appear shortly in my gallery.

Sonnie took his second whipper on Rhapsody tonight (Thursday). The man seemed in a hurry and appeared to be slightly less focused as he sped up the lower pitch bearly stopping at the routes starting ledge. He took a minute or three to fix the gear and remove his outer shirt and was off. Cool as ever on the crack section he was soon on the shake-out, clipping the now stuck rp (stuck from Tuesdays fall onto it) and placing a nut/small hex above it. While spending 7 or 8 minutes shaking out he removed his T-shirt and joked with the band of 20 or so spectators that they should be climbing now because the conditions were great. The head wall follow pretty much the same script as Tuesday ending with fall number two.

He remains very confident and it seemed like only his consideration for the guys in his team prevented him from having another go 15 minutes later as conditions were continually improving as dusk fell.
 gingerkate 23 May 2008
In reply to JLS:
Thanks for that write up, JLS.
adderz 23 May 2008
In reply to JLS:
thanks for the pics
 gingerkate 23 May 2008
In reply to JLS:
What a brilliant set of pics, thank you so much for sharing them!
Wingman 23 May 2008
In reply to JLS:

Is it me, or is he doing a different sequence to the one used by DM?

(haven't seen E11 for a bit though, but don't remember DM heading out left)
 JLS 23 May 2008
In reply to Wingman:

I think he's doing it pretty much the same way as Dave...
 abarro81 23 May 2008
In reply to JLS:
Does Requiem finish up the groove to the right - up to where the camerman is in those pics?
 Chris F 23 May 2008
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Fraser)
> joked with the band of 20 or so spectators that they should be climbing now because the conditions were great.

Maybe his way of telling everyone to piss off and stop staring at him?
 Burnsie 23 May 2008
In reply to Chris F:

I was bouldering there on Wednesday - Just me and a couple of bams.
Got spat off some stuff into the glass and shat myself on some highball things with no-one to call the ambulance. Dumby old skool before the media invasion !
 JLS 23 May 2008
In reply to Chris F:

>"Maybe his way of telling everyone to piss off and stop staring at him?"

Na, he seems pretty relax with the whole Dumby ambiance, if perhaps a bit surprised and bemused by the interest of us punters.
 tony 23 May 2008
In reply to abarro81:
> (In reply to JLS)
> Does Requiem finish up the groove to the right - up to where the camerman is in those pics?

Yup, that's the line of Requiem, finishing just to the left of the camera position. Sonnie's mate Cory Richards is working on Requiem, and judging by last night's efforts, isn't far off getting it nailed.
MarkM 30 May 2008
In reply to JLS:
Do I assume correctly that rain stopped play and/or there was no success on this?

Has Sonnie gone back to Canada? No update on his blog since Tuesday...

Cheers
Mark
 aln 30 May 2008
In reply to JLS: Really? He comes over from Canada for the 2nd time for a go at a 2nd ascent of the worlds allegedly hardest trad route, it's been all over the internet since he arrived, he's also climbed his own route of a similiarly claimed grade. And you're saying he's surprised that folk are interested?
 CPS 30 May 2008
In reply to Sarah R: What does it matter if it turns out to be an E10? Surely it about the route not the grade.

I thought Rhapsody was a pretty average film to be honest.
 JLS 30 May 2008
In reply to MarkM:

Ropes and gear are still in-situ on the crag as of lastnight. He sounded really keen to stay on, on Tuesday night.

I've no way of knowing but I'd guess he's still here and will be on the route at the weekend either in the morning or late in the evenings. It will be far too warm this weekend to do it at other times.
 JLS 30 May 2008
In reply to MarkM:

Checked the weather...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1997

The north west wind on Saturday might favour a go then. On Tuesday he said he was looking for 3 days rest minimum before going again.

So I predict it'll get ticked at 9:25pm tomorrow.
 Bill Davidson 30 May 2008
In reply to JLS:

Hope he does it this time, comes ax as being a really nice guy.
MarkM 30 May 2008
In reply to JLS:

Thanks for the feedback. Hope the weather works out and everything comes together for the ascent...

Sonnie mentioned trying the climb in the morning on the advice of Steve McClure on the blog so I'll go for a 9.25 am prediction!

Mark
 JLS 30 May 2008
In reply to MarkM:

That would involve getting out of bed around 6:00am! It seem more likely that John Dunne will climb the route in a tutu and confirm the grade at E11.
OP Michael Ryan 30 May 2008
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to MarkM)
>
> That would involve getting out of bed around 6:00am! It seem more likely that John Dunne will climb the route in a tutu and confirm the grade at E11.

More like E12

> (In reply to JLS)
> [...]
>
> More like E12

What are you trying to say?

saved for posterity or libel interest.
 TobyA 30 May 2008
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> [...]
>
> What are you trying to say?
>
> saved for posterity or libel interest.

John's reputation for overgrading is well documented.

In reply to TobyA:

Great review Toby, just uploading it.
 GrahamD 30 May 2008

>
> John's reputation for overgrading is well documented.

I look forward to seeing the new grade of Widdop Wall. When someone actually manages to repeat it. Parthian shot and New Statesman are pretty hard at their given E8 grade as well
In reply to GrahamD:
>
> [...]
>
> I look forward to seeing the new grade of Widdop Wall.

So do I.
 Enty 30 May 2008
> (In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat)
> [...]
>
> John's reputation for overgrading is well documented.

Yes like the 9a at Malham that Morefat couldn't touch....

The Ent

In reply to Enty:
> [...]
>
> Yes like the 9a at Malham that Morefat couldn't touch....
>

Exactly.
 jl100 30 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: He might overgrade the odd route (im not sure if this is true or not, ill take your word for it) but at least hes out there climbing hard and training hard. Give the man a break. How many E8s and 9s have you done? and how may of his routes have you repeated? (i understand this may backfire as im sure ive seen your name on few malham FAs).
In reply to JoeL 90:

Has anyone climbed E11 yet?
 jl100 30 May 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: While im flattered youve sought my opinion on the matter i think maybe Mr Mcleod might be able to answer this better.

I suppose your getting at the fact that Dunne headpointed the routes and thus an onsight grade isn't applicable and so youve done as many E8/9s as him? And are in fact not interested in my opinion over whether Mcleods acsent was some hoe faked or whether adj grades can be applied to headpoints?
 jl100 30 May 2008
In reply to JoeL 90: oops its Macleod isn't it?
In reply to JoeL 90:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) While im flattered

Stay that way.

So what has happened to Sonnie? has he been abducted by aliens!
OP Michael Ryan 01 Jun 2008
In reply to Conquistador of the usless:

http://hotaches.blogspot.com/
 Red Rover 01 Jun 2008

So he's gone?
 Alex Roddie 01 Jun 2008
In reply to Red Rover:
I hope not--it sounds like he was so close.
 JLS 01 Jun 2008
In reply to Red Rover:

No he's still here, still at it.

After a three day 'rest' he was back at Dumby on Saturday but not at his best. I saw one attempt around 3:45pm just as the sun was striking the face. It was a warm day but light breeze from the Northwest compensated a little. When I left at 6:30pm he said he'd mostly likely have another go, "just for fun", but I don't know if he did or not.

Today, I understand he had one go before rain stopped play. I've lost cost of how many falls he's now taken from the route...
 Nibs 01 Jun 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Nope he's still there, had a lead attempt early evening, seemed to be prompted to have a go as the rain was coming on. Made steady progress up to the rest point, decided to to lose the t-shirt then went for it, was traversing back right above the rest and took the fall nice and cleanly...

supafly 04 Jun 2008

Judging by the lack of news - I guess he hasn't managed to tick it off then?

Good attempts Sonnie, by the sounds of it, there's plenty of climbing in Squamish to keep you busy anyway upon your return!
OP Michael Ryan 04 Jun 2008
In reply to supafly:
>
> Judging by the lack of news - I guess he hasn't managed to tick it off then?

How do you know that?

Maybe there is a news black out.

We don't know yet.

BelleVedere 04 Jun 2008

Can you imagine the glasgow lot keeping quiet...
In reply to es:
>
> Can you imagine the glasgow lot keeping quiet...

Be patient.

Bill Davidson 04 Jun 2008

Never mind Sonnie, what's happened to the UKC roving reporter JLS!!!
In reply to es:
>
> Can you imagine the glasgow lot keeping quiet...

You have to consider this. The second ascent of Rhapsody (whatever grade it turns out to be) will be big news.

There is a film to be made, photographs to sell, copy to run, sponsors to keep happy, and adverts to be sold on the back of that.

Also consider that three of the UK's top climbers have just visited and attempted this route: they have very strong opinions about this route. One came quite close.

E11, even if that grade doesn't actually exist, is a brand with merchandise to sell.

Maybe the owners of the E11 franchise and those who want a piece of thefranchise are keeping mum for a while, protecting their investment.

Mick
 BelleVedere 04 Jun 2008

Yeah but its a pretty busy place by all accounts...

or maybe they really have silenced JLS (concrete boots at the bottom of the clyde)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........!!!!!
 telemarker 04 Jun 2008

I can see the point but surely with the tinternet keeping something like this quiet would be really difficult. I was enjoying all the bloging that was going on because it distracted me from my coursework, now I actually have to do it.
 supafly 05 Jun 2008

good job on increasing the hype though Mick!

i await the result, either way, with eager anticipation.
 JLS 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:

>"what's happened to the UKC roving reporter JLS!"

Alive and well. Was at Dumby on Tuesday, conditions were warm and slippy, no sign of Sonnie save for his gear in the crack and the Hotaches fixed ropes.

Burnsie was covering the story there last night. He has filed an ambiguous report by text which needs further clarification...
 Bill Davidson 05 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:

Lol, Thought the Hot Aches Team had sent the 'boys' round! Tell Burnsie tae get the finger oot then!
 Burnsie 05 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:

the text to john was "2 big sends and dumby tonight"
 JLS 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Burnsie:

>"the text to john was "2 big sends and dumby tonight" "

Well that clears that up... like NOT!
In reply to Burnsie:

b-----d!
James Jackson 05 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Burnsie)
>
> >"the text to john was "2 big sends and dumby tonight" "
>
> Well that clears that up... like NOT!

Clearly in reference to a trip to the post office with some bulky items, followed by a trip to the crag!
 JLS 05 Jun 2008
In reply to James Jackson:

His text actually said "2 big sends at dumby tonight". Note - "at" not "and" as he suggested.

I haven't a scooby what it means but would err on the side of it being nothing to do with Sonnie Trotter but I can't be sure.
James Jackson 05 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:

Does Dumby have a post office?
 Dom Whillans 05 Jun 2008
is john dunne a "big send"?
 JLS 05 Jun 2008
In reply to James Jackson:

>"Does Dumby have a post office?"

I haven't noticed one at the actual crag. I did once see a pigeon with a little canister strapped to its leg...
OP Michael Ryan 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Dom Whillans:
> is john dunne a "big send"?

Apparantly John did quite well......top wall in three sections I was told. Now needs to work on his stamina for the link.

Now that would be some achievement if JD could pull that out the bag.

aln 05 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS: You guys are doing a great job of making this whole thing entertaining. Does seem a little strange that after Sonnie's blogging record about his attempts that it suddenly dried up. Maybe he thought it'd be easier than it's turning out to be? And why is there nothing on James Pearsons blog, he didn't think an attempt on the worlds allegedly hardest trad route was worth commenting on? And a few of the UK's best climbers "didn't like the line", that's hilarious, WTF does that mean?
 Richard Hall 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Burnsie: Come on, spill the beans.
 Dom Whillans 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: i'd much rather john gets the 2nd ascent than sonnie.... no offence whatsoever to him, but JD's been a bit of a star for years IMHO.
 JLS 05 Jun 2008
In reply to aln:

Yeah, I'd like to hear(see) comments from the actual protagonists.

Sonnie has had a couple of good goes when conditions were pretty good but he was tired from the efforts of preceeding attempts. He'll be better rested now but the conditions haven't been great this lastweek... It maybe that his window of oppertunity has closed, I hope not.
 Fraser 05 Jun 2008
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to JLS) ....And a few of the UK's best climbers "didn't like the line", that's hilarious, WTF does that mean?

I was wondering much the same thing.
 aln 05 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS: Maybe he should stay away from those deep-fried Mars bars!
 Burnsie 05 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:

Conditions were tip top last night - there was a really good breeze that made things nice and grippy.
 gingerkate 05 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:
Someone remind me how long Dave worked the route?
In reply to Fraser:
> (In reply to aln)
> [...]
>
>
> I was wondering much the same thing.

They believe that it is contrived and eliminate in nature similar to Sonnie's comments on his blog.

There are three ways to go apparantly. Also Dave M did mention this at the time.

Other comments include that the fall is not that serious and the climb not as hard as proposed.

aln 05 Jun 2008
> (In reply to Fraser)
> [...]
>
> They believe that it is contrived and eliminate in nature similar to Sonnie's comments on his blog.
That's fair enough but it doesn't mean it isn't a good climb. Sonnie is arguably one of the worlds best trad climbers and despite the nature of the line he's seen fit to expend a lot of effort on it.
>
> Other comments include that the fall is not that serious and the climb not as hard as proposed.

Those comments are spurious. No-one other than Dave MacLeod has taken the fall from the top of Rhapsody on lead. And if someone else leads the route I'll listen to their opinion on wether or not the climb isn't "as hard as proposed".
In reply to aln:
> [...]
> And if someone else leads the route I'll listen to their opinion on wether or not the climb isn't "as hard as proposed".

Exactly.

JLS 05 Jun 2008

>"comments include that the fall is not that serious"

Other than Dave Mac and Sonnie (from lower) who else has taken the fall?

From where Sonnie's been taking the fall it hasn't looked too hideous but the fall I saw Macleod take was considerably further and looked very serious to me!

>"the climb not as hard as proposed"

So 6c climbing rather than 7a?
 niggle 05 Jun 2008
In reply to aln:

> Those comments are spurious.

The climbing community has a short memory. The same disaparging comments were made about another route in 1995, about the rock itself and about the climber who put it up. Plenty of hard men came and tried it, and over time the comments quietly dried up. And over 10 years later, Akira is still unrepeated as far I know.
 Fraser 05 Jun 2008
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to JLS)
> Someone remind me how long Dave worked the route?

I think it was 2 years, but don't quote me.

JLS 05 Jun 2008

>"I'm sure there will be lots all over the place in the next few months."

It looks like only McClure and Trotter will repeat the route and have any right to comment publicly. From what I read previously from both, I doubt either will be too negative about the route/grade.
 JLS 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Fraser:

>"I think it was 2 years, but don't quote me."

And just over a year for Sonnie (so far...)

:¬)
 aln 05 Jun 2008
In reply to niggle: That's exactly my point. Maybe Mick shouldn't have made the comments about Rhapsody.
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Fraser)
>
> >"I think it was 2 years, but don't quote me."
>
> And just over a year for Sonnie (so far...)
>

They usually calculate time spent in days spent over the time from first look to completion.

JLS 05 Jun 2008

>"They usually calculate time spent in days spent over the time from first look to completion."

So all those one armers in between the days on the climb don't count!

I heard Sonnie had an exaclt replica of the head wall built on the side of his house and has never missed a day on it since last year...
 aln 05 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS: You heard...
 aln 05 Jun 2008
In reply to niggle: My apologies Mick, you didn't comment, you reported other peoples comments.
In reply to JLS:

Lol, aye right! And that big buggers still no tellin
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to niggle) My apologies Mick, you didn't comment, you reported other peoples comments.

Phew. Just giving a bit of insider from a reputable source -

Burnsie 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Bill Davidson:

Hot off the press :

Friction was very good at Dumbarton last night. Cory had a good effort on Requiem and only fluffed it on the move onto the shakeout at the top of the crack. He seemed quite pissed off with this. Quite a few boulderers did send some long term projects.

This fact was communicated to Sonnie in the pre burn pep talk. He climbed the requiem crack super smooth, very quick and had a good shakeout before launching into Rhapsody. He managed the up left and right bit no bother and held what seems to be the crux move for him rightwards directly above the gear. He continued up towards the top with shouts from the gathered crowd and it really looked like it was in the bag. Air Traffic Control was called in about 2 or 3 meters from the top. Quite a big winger (I’ve got it on vid so I’ll maybe youtube it if I get time) . Sonnie’s comments after the fall were “I really didn’t think I would fall off from there” or summit like that.

A really good effort and I think Cory was looking like he would have another go on Requiem as I left.
 JLS 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Burnsie:

>"Friction was very good at Dumbarton last night."

B*gger! You miss one night and...
 JLS 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Burnsie:

>"Hot off the press :"

http://www.sonnietrotter.com/roadlife.php

I may need some time to think about what it means...
 martin riddell 05 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Burnsie)
>
> >"Friction was very good at Dumbarton last night."
>
> B*gger! You miss one night and...

Twas indeed - so much so that that even bumblies were known to get up stuff last night
In reply to Burnsie:

Forgiven!
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Burnsie)
>
> >"Hot off the press :"
>
> http://www.sonnietrotter.com/roadlife.php
>
> I may need some time to think about what it means...

That's an excellent article.
 aln 05 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS: FFS, Scottish style question. Did the fanny baws climb it or not.
 JLS 05 Jun 2008
In reply to aln:

See Burnsie's post - "Quite a big winger" means he fell aff (again).
 aln 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: That's a lot of airy fairy bullshit.
 gingerkate 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Fraser:
Thanks, two years was the time I had in my head too.

May be it'll take a while before it gets a repeat then. Or maybe not, who knows.

At the cutting edge (or the cutting edge in years gone by) what's the longest anyone has worked a route?
 JLS 05 Jun 2008
In reply to aln:

>"That's a lot of airy fairy bullshit."

I think Sonnie might like to see it as Bullshit/Wisedom.

You'd have thought Dave Macleod's quick repeats of other hard routes might suggest that after E11 he was opperating at a level below his max and provides some weight to his arguement that his E11-7a proposed grade was solid and not in any sort of grey area.

I don't think Sonnie's comments are questioning the grade - seems like he's happy to smile and surf over the opinions of others enjoying the ride as he works the route.
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) That's a lot of airy fairy bullshit.

Not at all.

In some people's view the develepment of a numerical "E" system has had detrimental effects.

Bring back MXS, XS, HXS, XXS

aln 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I meant the philosophising aspect of the blog, not the grading of the route.
 Fraser 05 Jun 2008

I think we can all be fairly sure that the route is officially VVH.

Very very hard.
 Fraser 05 Jun 2008
In reply to aln:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) I meant the philosophising aspect of the blog, not the grading of the route.

I thought his analogy of imagery and definitive grading was anything but airy fairy. It's pretty black and white.

Erik B 05 Jun 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: meanwhile back at the ranch Macleod is working on something much harder, and on the mighty Ben as well. Im truely gobsmacked at the effort he is putting into this route. I hope he gets it in the bag.

good luck dave and good luck sonnie, you both deserve success (i wont bother commenting on the 'others')
 martin riddell 06 Jun 2008
In reply to Erik B:
>
> good luck dave and good luck sonnie, you both deserve success (i wont bother commenting on the 'others')

Indeed, and nice to see Dave playing the "roving reporter" role himself yesterday

http://www.davemacleod.blogspot.com/
 JLS 06 Jun 2008
In reply to martin riddell:

Well I really did think Sonnie would get it.

He certainly put in the effort and I guess it all adds extra kudos to Rhapsody despite what others might say. I hope it will be all the more satisfying for him if/when he do does come back and ticks it.
 JLS 06 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:

The rumours that Sonnie Trotter had gone home were slightly exaggerated. Sonnie, Cory and co were at Dumby tonight cranking hard but unsuccessfully against average conditions on what is now something like day 15 on their respective routes.

It's back to should we stay or should we go? It would seem unlikely that another week will offer many days of good conditions but on the other hand one really good day might be enough... It's a tough call.
 JLS 07 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:

Intresting stuff from horses mouth...

nz Cragrat 07 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:

Great read
 Bill Davidson 07 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:

Direquiem does have a certain ring to it!
 gingerkate 07 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:
What a great blog that is. I do hope he stays and tries some more.
 tommyzero 07 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS: Trotter.. horses... LOL.
 atlantis 07 Jun 2008
In reply to tommyzero: He is sure to stay and attempt it one more time; afterall, he was THAT close to completing it the last time.. he's a fighter not a quitter
 mark s 08 Jun 2008
> (In reply to es)
> [...]
>
>
>
>
> Maybe the owners of the E11 franchise and those who want a piece of thefranchise are keeping mum for a while, protecting their investment.
>
> Mick

i would feel ripped off to find out i had spent money on a video of an eliminate
In reply to mark s:
> [...]
>
> i would feel ripped off to find out i had spent money on a video of an eliminate

Me too. Glad I didn't waste my money...I wonder what his 'E12' will be like
stonechat 08 Jun 2008
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog: if Rhapsody is easier than Sonnie's new route, then E12 7b is about right?
 Adam Lincoln 08 Jun 2008
In reply to stonechat:
> (In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog) if Rhapsody is easier than Sonnie's new route, then E12 7b is about right?

Do you know what we are talking about here?

Sonnie's new route is easier than Rhapsody, where did you hear it was harder? And whats this about E12 7b?

mark s 08 Jun 2008
In reply to stonechat:
> (In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog) if Rhapsody is easier than Sonnie's new route, then E12 7b is about right?

doubt it,
but it has to be the true line, not the eliminate that rhapsody sounds like.

will rhapsody now be a side note in the the next guide book as a variation on sonnies route
 Justin T 08 Jun 2008
In reply to the last few posters:

Are you guys for real? If so you really are full of $h1t. How dense do you have to be to come up with the utter rubbish you're posting from what has actually been said by the people involved? It's like a WI meeting here - get out, get some climbing of your own done and stop with all this stupid speculation based on blog quotes some of you can't even seem to read properly.
 Adam Lincoln 08 Jun 2008
In reply to quadmyre:
> (In reply to the last few posters)
>
> Are you guys for real? If so you really are full of $h1t. How dense do you have to be to come up with the utter rubbish you're posting from what has actually been said by the people involved? It's like a WI meeting here - get out, get some climbing of your own done and stop with all this stupid speculation based on blog quotes some of you can't even seem to read properly.

I do hope i am not included in that comment, i was trying to say the same as you, in a roundabout kind of way.
 Justin T 08 Jun 2008
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

No - your post made sense!
 Stoney Boy 08 Jun 2008
In reply to quadmyre:

Agreed-Some utter Bellends in this thread.......
 Adam Lincoln 08 Jun 2008
In reply to Stoney Boy:
> (In reply to quadmyre)
>
> Agreed-Some utter Bellends in this thread.......

Yes!

shortyx 08 Jun 2008
In reply to Stoney Boy:

Thread? this whole site is filled with opinionated bell-ends who are about as useful as the bottom half of a mermaid
OP Michael Ryan 08 Jun 2008
In reply to shortyx:
> (In reply to Stoney Boy)
>
> Thread? this whole site is filled with opinionated bell-ends who are about as useful as the bottom half of a mermaid

What? You mean the 75,000+ climbers who visit each UKC each month?

Or those in that group who aren't as clued up as you are?

In any demographic you will get those who are ignorant.

Name calling makes people feel good about themselves - you'll grow out of it.

stonechat 08 Jun 2008
> (In reply to stonechat)
> [...]
>
> Do you know what we are talking about here?
>
> Sonnie's new route is easier than Rhapsody, where did you hear it was harder? And whats this about E12 7b?

it's simple logic, my dear Lincoln- Sonnie's DIrect route is 5.14 something, whereas Dave's route is in the 5.13's
 Adam Lincoln 08 Jun 2008
In reply to stonechat:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln)
> [...]
>
> it's simple logic, my dear Lincoln- Sonnie's DIrect route is 5.14 something, whereas Dave's route is in the 5.13's

Err, no.... Sonnies route is 5.14a/8b+ ish, Daves route is 8cish climbing? Its not rocket science!

shortyx 08 Jun 2008

Sorry..... off topic, just seen other thread, did the quickdraws get claimed? if they're wild country heliums then they are mine... marked with green and yellow electrical tape

ta
 Adam Lincoln 08 Jun 2008
In reply to stonechat:
> [...]
>
> it's simple logic, my dear Lincoln- Sonnie's DIrect route is 5.14 something, whereas Dave's route is in the 5.13's

What your forgeting is Daves route is 5.13c'ish into a V10/v11, which, my friend makes it around 8c'ish and a dam sight hard than Sonnies, at 5.14!

Easy ugh.....
 Adam Lincoln 08 Jun 2008
In reply to shortyx:
>
> Sorry..... off topic, just seen other thread, did the quickdraws get claimed? if they're wild country heliums then they are mine... marked with green and yellow electrical tape
>
> ta

don't know, but they were gone when i went back day after....
 shortyx 08 Jun 2008

oh, thought you had picked them up. Saw you on mid ledge spread i think, far too warm that day
 Adam Lincoln 08 Jun 2008
In reply to shortyx:
>
> oh, thought you had picked them up. Saw you on mid ledge spread i think, far too warm that day

indeed! we left them under consenting....
stonechat 08 Jun 2008
In reply to Adam Lincoln: can't find the news report right now, but i'm sure 5.13 something was mentioned
 Adam Lincoln 08 Jun 2008
In reply to stonechat:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln) can't find the news report right now, but i'm sure 5.13 something was mentioned

Yes, 5.13 up to the crux....

Adam Lincoln 08 Jun 2008
In reply to stonechat:
> (In reply to Adam Lincoln) can't find the news report right now, but i'm sure 5.13 something was mentioned

8c'ish

And incase you STILL want to argue the toss, and claim not to be wrong.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=198

peter pan 09 Jun 2008

Just caught up with Sonnies blog, surely if he is going to stay on he is either extremely confident of cracking it, or just plain obsessed /desperate. If its option one & he “sends it” this week, will it mean he will down grade the route or leave it as is & claim to be a stronger climber by succeeding in such a shorter timeframe………. Punters view only folks, be gentle.

PP.
 seagull 09 Jun 2008
In reply to peter pan:

If you have been reading Sonnie's blog as you say then I would have thought it was pretty obvious that he's not the sort of person to "claim to be a stronger climber" and that he makes no bones about the fact that he doesn't A: like to get too bogged down by grades or B: understand the UK grading system, so a downgrade would appear unlikely.

However, as I am not Sonnie Trotter I can't actually answer either of your questions. I recommend you read more of his blog. It's a very good read and will help you gain more of an understanding of his attempts to climb this route.
 JLS 09 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:

Some rain forecast for Dumby this week however it would seem likely that between the rain there are going to be some good sending oppertunites with decent westerly winds onto the face and good cloud cover, the rock should be dry and cool for short periods at least.

Tonight - a good west wind but with temperatures still high at 17C they may not drop quickly enough before the rain hits later this evening.

Tues - cooler temperatures at 12C and good cloud cover but the wind is forecast a good deal lighter and with rain about things might feel damp.

It will all come down saving strength and skin and being there at just the right moment when the rock is in good nick.
Anonymous 09 Jun 2008

Sorry but I’ am a bit confused, I thought I read that sonnie trotter had repeated Rhapsody. has he?

Cheers

loz
 atlantis 09 Jun 2008
In reply to Anonymous: Yes he is currently doing so.. they aim to complete this 'before' he departs Scotland.
 JLS 09 Jun 2008
In reply to Anonymous:

>"has he?"

No, not yet, unless he's done it tonight! Otherwise I think he may have mentioned it on his blog today...

James Jackson 09 Jun 2008
In reply to JLS:
> some good sending oppertunites

Heh, I always chuckle when I see this phrase. It makes me think of bleach-blond surfer making devil symbols with their hands whilst going "Doooooood, huuuuuuuuwi" or whatever strange noises they emit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...