UKC

Obama & Al Gore - a solution to global warming?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Hooper 07 Nov 2008
I wonder what the chances would be for Obama to create a post of "Environment Czar" or similar for Al Gore, give him the power to put into operation some of the solutions for global warming that he espoused in "An Inconveniasnt Truth".

Now that would really be impressive and give me some hope for the future.

Al Gore seems to be kind of off the radar at the moment - they are all democrats and all so why couldnt this happen?
 ClimberEd 07 Nov 2008
In reply to David Hooper:

I should think the first step would be for the US to ratify Kyoto and get involved in Kyoto 2 (or post Kyoto, however you wish to term it) in a meaningful way.
Daithi O Murchu 07 Nov 2008
In reply to ClimberEd:
> (In reply to David Hooper)
>
> I should think the first step would be for the US to ratify Kyoto and get involved in Kyoto 2 (or post Kyoto, however you wish to term it) in a meaningful way.

first step would be to invest big time in renewables, get some jobs created there, then hed be free to sign Kyoto as he can use new jobs to offset the claims that cuts in emissions will cost US jobs.
 ClimberEd 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Daithi O Murachu:

I think that would take too long. It would need to be a parallel process. And they have signed Kyoto, they just haven't ratified it. (i.e. they have signed it, but until it's ratified the signature is 'hot air')

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if Obama gives Al Gore some such titular role; but I suspect those are the kind of appointments he won't mention yet, for quite sound reasons.

OP David Hooper 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Daithi O Murachu:
> (In reply to ClimberEd)
> [...]
>
> first step would be to invest big time in renewables, get some jobs created there, then hed be free to sign Kyoto as he can use new jobs to offset the claims that cuts in emissions will cost US jobs.

Yes - with all the desert and sunny territory they have surely they could invest in massive solar farms, sparking industry and jobs to create and maintain all the photovoltaics needed.
Tim Chappell 07 Nov 2008

BHO needs to tread really carefully on this. The environment, I suspect, is the thing he knows he needs to do, and knows there are no votes in. Want to be the president who introduced 21-century green austerity to the US? Who presided over $4 dollars a gallon for the first time?

It's got to happen, for the good of the whole of the world for the whole of the future, but it's terribly difficult to do. If he appoints Al Gore, the media will give him pelters... which is not to say he shouldn't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...