UKC

Kinder Downfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sirion 31 Dec 2008
Has anyone checked out conditions on the Downfall in the last couple of days? I am assuming because of the temp and frosts we have been having that there is ice formed. However as we have had no snow and it is still early I assume that any ice that has formed is clear and very brittle.

I would be very interested to hear comments from anyone who has been up there.

Cheers

Sirion
sirion 31 Dec 2008
In reply to deepsoup: No. But I had read already this, but thought there was a very slim chance that conditions had improved over the last 4 weeks.
 sutty 31 Dec 2008
In reply to sirion:

It needs either rain or snow to fill the bogs up then slow release so the ice forms.

There has been freezing conditions for a while now so it needs a thaw for the river to run a bit then a light freeze so the downfall forms.

I would expect ATM it is almost dry there.
 BrianT 31 Dec 2008
In reply to sirion: I was told two days ago that it is climbable. The person who told me was off back yesterday to climb it. Bloody freezing here today, so should be very cold up there.
 Simon 31 Dec 2008
In reply to BrianT:
> (In reply to sirion) Bloody freezing here today, so should be very cold up there.

and a right old pea-souper!!

si
 malc 31 Dec 2008
In reply to Simon: Was there yesterday an the downfall is very thin and not complete.
In reply to sirion:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=334882

you wait a month for a kinder downfall thread, and then 2 come along at once...! tchoch. typical.

gregor

BrianT 09 Jan 2009
In reply to malc:
> (In reply to Simon) Was there yesterday an the downfall is very thin and not complete.

Well Joe Brown and his mate climbed it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...