UKC

Ratho

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 spa_bob 17 Feb 2009
Is it just me or are Ratho's walls too long??
 Fran 17 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_bob: Get fitter then, ya wimp!
OP spa_bob 17 Feb 2009
In reply to Fran: Sorry fran, I wasnt too specific what grade do you climbing?
 Fran 17 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_bob: Harder than you? Not sure what grade has to do with length, there are very good routes on the long walls from about 6a+ upwards. And most of those have no hard cruxes on them, so if you can't climb them in one go yet just dogging up will give you (apparently much needed) help with your fitness. Get going.
 UKC Forums 17 Feb 2009
This thread was started in the ROCKTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Walls & Training - Find out where the best climbing wall is in your area. Who goes there? What are the facilities like? Build your own cellar. Training tips and injuries info. It's all here. (And don't forget to check the Classified Listings which contain the UK's most comprehensive online database of climbing walls.)

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
 BelleVedere 17 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_bob:

long - or high?
 Maggie 17 Feb 2009
In reply to es:
> (In reply to spa_bob)
>
> long - or high?

Indeed...

Surely the walls are high, but the routes are long...?

:O)

anansie 17 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_bob:

Have been there and they are indeed high but it's a crackin' place to climb! Wanted to have a go on that thing that you walk around up on high but...will get it next time i'm up that way
 Bill Davidson 17 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_bob:

Try the boulders then
 Fraser 18 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_bob:
> Is it just me or are Ratho's walls too long??

No, it's just you.
 John_10 18 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_b
Nope! Most other climbing centres walls are too short.
 MeMeMe 18 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_bob:

Why not solve the problem by only climbing halfway up?
In reply to spa_bob: it's probably more to do with the fact hat it is always bloody freezing in there so you never actually get warmed up and certainly don't stay warmed up and there's usually a puddle on the floor somewhere......

...potentially awesome place...

....but with a few things they very badly need to sort out to convince people to go there from Alien.
Removed User 18 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_bob:

Which E9 have you done?

In answer to your question, no the routes are not too long but the bolts are too close together, it's often too cold and the music's crap.
 Ally Baba 18 Feb 2009
In reply to nickinscottishmountains: If i were a climber who was just wanting to do loads of climbing in a nice comfy enviroment. Or someone starting out, i would go to alien.
But if your looking to really crank up a notch, and get some good stamina in for outside then go to ratho.
If you find it too cold, wrap up. It's good traing for outside aswell!
To answer the intial question it's not that ratho is too long. It's just that it's long and most other other places are shorter.

Everst is long, but it's as cold!
In reply to Ally Baba: Horses for courses.

For me to go to an indoor wall, I like a variety of things to be good...

climbing
coffee
music
atmosphere
not having puddles on the floor
cost

...to name but a few.

IMHO, for what I want, Ratho loses out on all of those.

Your point about stamina is a fair one though.
 PeterM 18 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_bob:

What a ridiculous statement.
graeme_s 18 Feb 2009
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

How will you cope outside?

Music - you can't ever satisfy everyone so no facility can succeed there.

Atmosphere - surely that is more to do with you climb with?

Puddles on floor - where, and how does it interfere with your climbing? You stand on raised mats so no impact on your climbing unless you chose to walk through them surely?

Cost - closest alternative facility is perhaps 10% cheaper for a day pass and significantly less climbing on offer with often as not a business which is detrimental to the climbing you can get done in given time. You get what you pay for at the end of the day.

Why complain about what is arguably one of the better facilities in the country and one we are very lucky to have.

I suppose though you can vote with your (wet) feet if it doesn't suit you on all counts.

Graeme.
 niggle 18 Feb 2009
In reply to Graeme Seggie:

Agreed.

Ratho is an outstanding facility. It's colossal and has a range of routes and problems which I've never seen equalled for quantity, quality or diversity anywhere else. I'm delighted to be able to climb there.
dazza72 18 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_bob:

Brilliant this is the best wind up thread i've read in a while. Wonderful.....eeep! You're not joking are you?
 Fraser 18 Feb 2009
In reply to niggle:
> (In reply to Graeme Seggie)

> Ratho is an outstanding facility. It's colossal and has a range of routes and problems which I've never seen equalled for quantity, quality or diversity anywhere else. I'm delighted to be able to climb there.

Couldn't agree more. In hindsight though, I suspect the OP's trolling, so I'll give it a 4/10.

In reply to Graeme Seggie: Read my post. My post said "for me to go to an indoor wall". Also note that I said "horses for courses". I climb outside plenty, my views on indoor climbing have nothing to do with my experience of outdoor climbing.

My view is still that Ratho is overrated. Whilst this may be a minority view, I am not the only one who thinks this.

Why complain? I'm not complaining about Ratho, I'm saying why I don't go there. That's not the same thing. It's consumer choice.

It is great you like going there. What is right for you is right for you, what is right for those of us who don't rate it is to go elsewhere.

Horses for courses.

howfantastic 19 Feb 2009
In reply to spa_bob:
I had a giggle when I first read this thread, but it you think about it.... he has a point (kinda). If you climb at a centre with smaller walls, and have never climbed anything the scale of the likes seen at Ratho... for the first couple of attempts - yes, they are going to be too long for you. You need to build up the endurance to climb a 100ft route. Perhaps not such a silly post as first thought. Keep at it and you will grow to enjoy the longer routes

In terms of Ratho v Alien, they are two totally different climbing experiences, and that is why they can co-exist in a city the size of edinburgh. Indeed I know many instructors from both centres who climb at the other for a 'different' type of work out. I also think it is natural that you would prefer one to the other (I much prefer Ratho), but instead of criticising the centres, why not just be thankful for them?
 Fraser 19 Feb 2009
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> (In reply to Ally Baba) Horses for courses.
>
> For me to go to an indoor wall, I like a variety of things to be good...
>
> climbing

>
> ...to name but a few.
>
> IMHO, for what I want, Ratho loses out on all of those.
>

I agree, it's whatever your prefer, but to say Ratho doesn't measure up in terms of climbing, I'm not sure what more you could ask for! The variety, extent and quality of climbing and bouldering available in the place is second to none.

Okay, there are a few areas where things could be improved like catering, temperature, puddles etc, but I for one go to a climbing wall to climb, not to sit around like it's a coffee house - I'd go to a coffee house for that.

I can't imagine ever going back to AR, and am disappointed when I'm restricted to 'just' going to Ibrox if I've got to stay in Glasgow.

jaybob 21 Feb 2009
In reply to Fraser: I agree mate, But you know the coffee out the vending machine in Ibrox is pretty weak. But it is the climbing we go for not the coffee. I just wish the routes we alot longer! New route went up last week on the leads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...