UKC

NEWS: Birkett Frees 11 Pitch South African Mega-Route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 22 Mar 2010
[Dave Birkett chalking up on the crux roof of Remote Control, 3 kb]Lakeland legend Dave Birkett has freed Remote Control up the Ben Heatlie amphitheatre, South Africa.

"it is crazy hard – some no-footholds railing followed by a massive reach through the roof..."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=52555

tintinandpip 22 Mar 2010
Is there any truth in the rumour that Mr. Birkett is opening a micro brewery called Birkett Brewery ( what else ) and producing a beer called Mild V.S ?
Route in South Africa looks awesome !!!!
Good effort Mary.
In reply to UKC News: What a legend.
In reply to tintinandpip:
Even if there's nothing in the rumour, it's a fine one! I fancy a pint of Mild V.S...
Amazing route... just a few weeks after an amazing new ice route on his own Scafell East... Dave Birkett just keeps on surpising us!
 Dan Lane 22 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

That is pretty impressive, and by the sound of the report, it didnt take him much effort either.
Kipper 22 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

'Respect or Die'
 lex 22 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

They look some pretty impressive and strenuous moves that Mary is doing on "Mary Jenning following pitch 4" photo... bludy 'ell

Hats off, and a celebratory whisky, to all the team,

Lex
 lex 22 Mar 2010
In reply to lex:
sorry, Jenner ....
 Franco Cookson 22 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Good effort Dave. looks steep. Was it onsight? looks like a fair few pitches of E6 with an E7 crux pitch?
molly2202 23 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News: So....DB best allrounder in UK? He has routes that are in the E8 & 9 yet to be repeated, has some impressive Winter routes to his name, East Buttress and Gimmer spring to mind, put amazing Sport Numbers up some years ago, and yet isn't really a full time climber......he does have a day job by all accounts...Raw talent? Good genes? (uncle Bill & Grand daddy)..... Anyone better than Dave?? Really?? I recon he gets my vote!! Good on ya Dave!
 French Erick 24 Mar 2010
In reply to molly2202:
To be fair I don't think he is...but he sure is one of the most inspirational.
Low key and down to earth style.
 Matt Tranter 24 Mar 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Befok effort.
For many years I have driven past these massive face, kinking my neck and annoying the misses by exclaiming that there must be a "way to get a route through that stuff."
Now I can try and identify where it is and annoy her more by moaning that I will never be good enough to get up it!
Lekker Bra.
 Jonny2vests 26 Mar 2010
In reply to molly2202:
> Raw talent? Good genes?

MASSIVE hands I reckon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...