UKC

NEWS: Lower Cove Comes of Age With New E7 & E8

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 May 2010
[Lower Cove Mounre Mountains, 3 kb]The superb and steep granite outcrop of Lower Cove in the Mourne Mountains, Northern Ireland now has four 3* routes of E7 and above.

Active local climber Ricky Bell has recently added The Dark Crystal (E7 6c) and Sleezy Lover (E8 6c) to an already action packed crag.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=53741

JLS 27 May 2010
Serpico 27 May 2010
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> There's belaying and there's *!%$ing belaying!
>
> http://www.mournesclimbers.com/images/upload/Easy%20Lover%20small%20jpeg.jp...

Not sure what your point is?
mcclown 27 May 2010
This wall really has to be seen to be believed...it's awesome!

So the lads are already putting the new guide they've compiled out of date...it's meant to be back from the publishers tomorrow. Can't wait to see that guide, Craig Hillers photo's should make it look stunning.
 JLS 27 May 2010
In reply to Serpico:

>"Not sure what your point is?"

I just thought the rope looked a bit slack but perhaps it's steep enough, high enough and the gear good enough, not to matter.
Serpico 27 May 2010
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to Serpico)
>
> >"Not sure what your point is?"
>
> I just thought the rope looked a bit slack but perhaps it's steep enough, high enough and the gear good enough, not to matter.

Ahh, I see. The amount of slack looks fine; you need an armful so as not to be caught out by a speedy clip or impede movement in any way, and there's no way the climber's going to come anywhere near decking from that height unless the gear's a long way down.

Franco Cookson 27 May 2010
In reply to Serpico: The gear is about half way between the ground and him. If you read the route description he is on easier climbing here. I don't think the rope would be so slack if the belayer didn't know he'd done the crux.

Good effort like!
adpsimpson 27 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:
Good work as always. From the ground, the top of the east face looks worryingly vegetated and grassy - I'd be interested to hear about Ricky's belay points. A year or two ago, on the Northern Climbers forum, it was even used as an example of a place where bolting lower off points may be able to improve the climbability of a relatively unclimbed face, although I don't know if whoever said that had actually been to the top of that face.
 JLS 27 May 2010
In reply to Franco C:

http://www.mournesclimbers.com/modules.php?name=News

Yeah, better photo but I'd still say a fall from his current position would put him pretty near the deck.
 Jon Read 27 May 2010
In reply to UKC News: Looks great. Have to get myself over the the Mournes sometime soon.
 Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 27 May 2010
In reply to mcclown:

Good effort Ricky. Putting the new guide out of date before it is back from the printers!

I am heading over to Ireland in just over a weeks time and I am keen to get a hold of the new Climbing Guide to the Mournes.

Do you know where I can get hold of it?
M0nkey 27 May 2010
In reply to UKC News: Steve, its being delivered to the MI on Friday and should hit the shops a few days after that. The local retailers in Belfast etc will have it - don't know about online.

Ps i'm loving the slagging Dan's belaying is getting - keep up the good work.
In reply to M0nkey:

My belaying is spot on.

Basically, the way I see it, if you're belaying someone who's that run out then there's no way you should bother trying to field a fall.
 JLS 27 May 2010
In reply to The Flying Giraffe:

>"Basically, the way I see it..."

I think you are right, leaders are expendable. Loosing a few serves to encourage the others to climb a bit better.
Samuel 27 May 2010
In reply to The Flying Giraffe: Besides, Marshall's made of rubber and would simply bounce back to the hold he'd been on and finish it.
 PeteH 27 May 2010
Nice to hear some news from the homeland! Sterling work by Ricky Bell. And such a cheerful grin!

Pete.
 tistimetogo 27 May 2010
In reply to UKC News:

Nice to see a mournes crag making an appearance.

Oh and the looks belay fine, the gear could be better tho.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...