UKC

What is up with ukclimbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Aigen 02 Jun 2010
Hi. does anyone find that ukclimbing has become cluttered and very hard to navigate. Dont get me wrong I love the site. I log on everyday, but lately I am spending more and more time looking for things than reading them, a little 8a.nu if you know what I mean.
 sutty 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Aigen:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html

You can tick or untick any forums you want or don't want to see;

Favourite Forums:

The forums on this site had over 9,700 new messages last week alone. If you don't wish to see messages from all of the forums on your personal Forums Latest page then simply untick the appropriate boxes below. [read more about the different forums]

ROCKTALK Rock climbing discussion
Starting Out Advice for beginners & improvers
Bouldering Bouldering discussion
Winter Climbing Snow/Ice routes & conditions
Expedition & Alpine Alpine & world mountaineering
Rock Destinations Rock climbing destinations Q&As
Walls & Training Indoor climbing, training & indoor walls
Climbing Gear Gear discussion, reviews & advice
BMC Areas Local discussion of BMC areas
Off Belay General non-climbing discussion
Photography Cameras and outdoor photography
Culture Bunker Books, films, TV & music
The Pub Relaxed conversation
Lost & Found Notices of gear lost, stolen or found
Lifts & Partners Notices for lifts or climbing partners
For Sale/Wanted Personal ads for buying and selling
In reply to Aigen: We're always looking to improve the site, so suggestions are very welcome. Of course UKC is a very large site, and everything needs to go somewhere, and have a way to navigate to it...

Can you give some examples of pages that you were looking for and found it hard to get to? Or examples of poor page names or confusing navigation?

Are you using the new drop-down menus at the top of each page? The goal with those was to make it very quick to get to the most commonly used pages.

Cheers
 imkevinmc 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Aigen: Far from it. I find it very easy to navigate and it's sensibly moderated.

I use some forums where there are sub sections embedded and the moderators won't leave well alone - missing and moved threads.

And the content makes it worthwhile too. Over complicate it and you'll drive users away
 dread-i 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:
>Can you give some examples of...
Not a bug per say, just an odity.

If I go to Find Crags and search by name of crag for say: Bridestones the search engine behaves in an odd (to me) way. If I type in Bride it shows Hebrides, then I add the rest of the letters and it shows the two Bridestones crags when I type in 'Bridestones'.
I can understand it matching on the 'bride' part of Hebrides, but why not the bride part of Bridestones? If I type in 'brid' it gets lots of crags but Bridestones is not in the list.

Is it just regex playing up or is there a far more sinister policy of discrimination against the Bridestones crags?
In reply to dread-i:
> I can understand it matching on the 'bride' part of Hebrides, but why not the bride part of Bridestones? If I type in 'brid' it gets lots of crags but Bridestones is not in the list.

It's because we use MySQL's FULLTEXT matching, which does well in many cases, but certainly isn't perfect. I'd love to replace it with something that handles your example case, as well as common typos and foreign characters better.
 AndyWatt83 02 Jun 2010

Here's one that should be fairly easy. How about making the names of the people I climb with in my logbook, hyperlinks to their logbook?

[I know it's cheeky saying it should be easy when I've never seen the code or the database!]
 Monk 02 Jun 2010
In reply to imkevinmc:

>
> I use some forums where there are sub sections embedded and the moderators won't leave well alone - missing and moved threads.
>

Ironic that you should mention that this afternoon! So many threads getting pulled. My favourite was the one titled 'Are the moderators getting heavy handed' which, when clicked on said 'no such topic'.

Would it be possible in cases of potential libel (as I understand this one to be) to just moderate the name of the organisation that you are being sensitive about?
 Jonny2vests 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Monk:

Its the faceless, explanation-less way its being handled that is driving me up the wall.
BigJames 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Monk:
> (In reply to imkevinmc)
>
> [...]
>
> Ironic that you should mention that this afternoon! So many threads getting pulled. My favourite was the one titled 'Are the moderators getting heavy handed' which, when clicked on said 'no such topic'.
>
> Would it be possible in cases of potential libel (as I understand this one to be) to just moderate the name of the organisation that you are being sensitive about?

Don't be silly!

That sounds too much like not restricting free speech.
 armus 02 Jun 2010
In reply to dread-i: I can't even find "find crags" I used to have it as a seperate bookmark/favourite.(The list of crags in a chosen area) It doesn't seem to appear on the home page.
 rallymania 02 Jun 2010
In reply to TonyThePrawn:

actually i like the fact it links to the person rather than their log book, but i gues it would be nice if there was an option or would that be too cluttered?
 rallymania 02 Jun 2010
In reply to pyle:
if you "hover" over the logbooks or forums link do you get a popup menu?
 sutty 02 Jun 2010
In reply to pyle:

Look at the top of the page, run your mouse over all the options and under Logbooks there is a drop down menu with ;

Find crags map
Search for a climb
Log your climbs etc

Your link will need changing since the menu changed, probably.
Lusk 02 Jun 2010
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC: RE suggestions.

Using 'search for a climb' in the Logbooks menu, if you paste the name of climb (copied from elsewhere, photos or a thread say) in the box then press continue, it just gives you 'To Search for a Climb, please choose the climb from the pulldown menu' box, which is quite irritating! Typing the climb in brings up the menu OK though. Unless of course I'm being really thick...
In reply to Lusk: Thanks, which web browser are you using?

If I try it on this page:
- http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/

and paste in Smooth Torquer then the pulldown menu appears immediately - no need to press the 'Continue' button. On Firefox 3.6

Lusk 03 Jun 2010

Firefox 3.6.3
I've now tried that but I need to press up or down arrow for the menu to appear!
Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...