UKC

NEWS: Chris Davies Climbs Major New Problem in North Wales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 18 Feb 2011
Chris Davies climbing My Own Private Idaho, Crafnant, North Wales , 3 kbChris Davies has added a major addition to the Welsh bouldering circuit with a new line on the Wonder-wall Block in the Crafnant meteor cluster, Crafnant valley, North Wales.

The as yet ungraded problem, now named My Own Private Idaho, is "potentially the hardest thing that I have climbed so far" according to Chris.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=60471

UKB Shark 18 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News:

>The name, we assume, comes from the 1991 film My Own Private Idaho, starring Keanu Reeves and River Phoenix, an excellent portrayal of two young gay 'hustlers'. Trailer below.

It was a B52's track first. As for the origin of the name:

"I've named it due to the fact that the peace, tranquility and for the most part, the solitude of the area. It really is a very special place to be on the right day, and today was just amazing"

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,16961.0.html

Any other gay film recommendations?

Jack Geldard 18 Feb 2011
In reply to shark: The song was just called 'Private Idaho' according to my extensive google research that I did for this piece.

> Any other gay film recommendations?

Not many off the top of my head, but if you speak German you could try Ich bin meine eigene Frau which is a really interesting film based on a true story.

Nice quote from Chris there too. Does look like a special place.

Well done Chris, what a super looking problem, never climbed there myself, but hoping to get up there this spring!

Nice one!

And good work digging up Chris' quote Shark.

Thanks,

Jack

MRJ 18 Feb 2011
In reply to shark:
> Any other gay film recommendations?

Top Gun?
 lummox 18 Feb 2011
In reply to MRJ:
> (In reply to shark)
> [...]
>
> Top Gun?

Gladiator ?
 neil the weak 18 Feb 2011
In reply to lummox:Or

300?
 thommi 18 Feb 2011
In reply to UKC News: WTF!!??? why are people commenting on gay films and not chris's achievement. awesome problem from one of the best boulderers in the country. I find chris's attitude and blocs very inspiring. Good work. Granted though, this is slow reporting, it did happen a while ago.
 UKB Shark 18 Feb 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: In reply to shark: The song was just called 'Private Idaho' according to my extensive google research that I did for this piece.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Own_Private_Idaho
"The film's title is derived from the song "Private Idaho" by the B-52's that Van Sant heard while visiting the state in the early 1980s"

Waddage for your German gay film knowledge. I look forward to other leftfield links to trailers. You could make it an artform.

And of course wad points to CJD for realising the problem.
 MRJ 25 Feb 2011
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to MRJ)
> [...]
>
>
> Gladiator ?

Take that back >
cogoen 25 Feb 2011
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

With a bit more research you might have found this (see below)

Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoo
You're living in your own Private Idaho
Living in your own Private Idaho
Underground like a wild potato.
Don't go on the patio.
Beware of the pool,
blue bottomless pool.
It leads you straight
right throught the gate
that opens on the pool.

Morgan Woods 25 Feb 2011
In reply to thommi:
> (In reply to UKC News) I find chris's attitude and blocs very inspiring.

I like his blocs too ;p
 Offwidth 25 Feb 2011
In reply to thommi:

"why are people commenting on gay films and not chris's achievement"

Maybe because it's an interesting link and because the best acheivements speak for themselves?
 thommi 25 Feb 2011
In reply to offwidth: alright alright, i posted that a week ago. just saying like. do you have a vendetta against me?
In reply to morgan: d'oh!
 Offwidth 25 Feb 2011
In reply to thommi:

Nope... didn't see the thread before and didn't read the dates. I would say though that just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean they are not after you
 thommi 25 Feb 2011
In reply to offwidth: i knew it!! they all said i was mad! incidently (as the paranoia grows) we have met you know in a quarry more familar to a chap called stig. i was with a very tall blonde chap and i seem to remeber cake being eaten. ring any bells?
 Offwidth 25 Feb 2011
In reply to thommi: "ring any bells?" not as many as I'd like but cake normally indicates a moorland meet, in which case most probably Shooters or Crowden but I can't picture your friend in the moorland context. Your tall blonde friend wouldn't have a colourful surname and shake tested the stability of any climb that he led; with the crag being Robin Hood ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...