/ What's your fave Arnie film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
crustypunkuk - on 28 Jun 2012
I'm sat watching Total Recall atm, and i reckon that it was Arnies finest hour, with Running Man and Predator a close second. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Pekkie - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

The Terminator, of course. Eerily perfect casting.
stonemaster - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk: Possibly Pumping Iron.
simon c on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk: conan
crustypunkuk - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to Pekkie:
Terminator is one of my fave films of all times, and Arnie is perfect as the eponymous protagonist, but did he actually act in the film?
crustypunkuk - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to simon c:
Hehe.
Fly Fifer - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

His role as Coriolanus in the 1959 RSC production is surely his finest hour.......sorry, goy Arnie mixed up with Olivier there..easy mistake as i'm sure you'll agree!

Drop you a PM re Sunday.

Cheers


Lew13 - on 28 Jun 2012
In reply to stonemaster:

Agreed.
Nath93 - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk: Kindergaten Cop...

Seriously, I thought he was good in both the first and second Terminator and in Predator.

"GET TO THE CHOPPER"
crustypunkuk - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Nath93:
EETS NAAdA TOOMAH!
Blue Straggler - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

The Last Action Hero. MASSIVELY misunderstood.

In terms of Arnie actually trying to act in a halfway-intelligent film (as these things go), I would agree with Total Recall but also throw a late entry into the mix - The Sixth Day, very underrated.

Interestingly neither Total Recall nor The Sixth Day particularly needed a musclebound action hero in the lead role, but they somehow worked as Arnie vehicles.

Those citing The Terminator are missing the point of the OP. It is an excellent film, but hardly Arnie's finest hour! He's given very little to do, and is rather wooden in it. He's a lot better in the first sequel, as he has material to play with.

OP I'll disagree with Predator. It is a decent film, and way better than Commando, but I think Commando works better for Arnie as it has a humourous sense of its own silliness, and Arnie plays with that quite visibly. Predator suffers from trying to shovel in some Arnie wisecracks which are pretty inappropriate (notably in the opening assault scene "Knock knock" and "Stick around"...and later with the pointless "you are one ugly motherfukcer" - just doesn't work as well as the classic "I lied" in Commando)
Blue Straggler - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Bollocks to all that.


True Lies wins it easily (I still think The Last Action Hero is a better film, given that it doesn't have a central section centred on the deliberate psychological torture of the hero's wife instigated and performed by the hero...but Arnie is great in True Lies!)
Fly Fifer - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Ok, i'll lay it on the table, mine is the early 80 "Raw Deal" run close by....no pun intend, "The Runnig Man".

His second best is governor of California!
crustypunkuk - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
I must admit to liking some of his later films, where he tried to 'act' such as end of days, but i agree that the roles could've been filled by A.N Other and had a similar/greater impact.
Total Recall/Running Man/ Predator are still the best though!
Blue Straggler - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

The Running Man is appalling, as is End of Days (and don't get me wrong, I love Gabriel Byrne, Robin Tunney, the fact that Miriam Margoyles is one of only two women to have thrown Arnie across a room on screen, and the fact that Arnie's character has the ludicrous name "Jericho Kane")

I just remembered Twins, he was in fact very good in that.

I have never seen Junior or Kindergarten Cop, and would like to keep things that way.

Your argument about "A.N. Other" doesn't work. Total Recall and The Terminator would arguably have been better with A. N. Other (logically, in The Terminator, there is no good reason that the cyborgs developed by SkyNet have big fleshy biceps, as their strength comes from the robotic skeleton - remember that Lance Henrikson was in the running for The Terminator role and may have made more sense in the role...and Arnie had already done Conan so his effect on 80s cinema was assured somewhat anyway)
Blue Straggler - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Fly Fifer:

Never seen Raw Deal (not early, it is from 1987 so comes after Conan, Terminator and Commando, and is from the same year as Predator, not sure if Predator came before it though).
What is good about it? It sounds rubbish aside from the fact that Kathryn Harrold is the female lead.
Fly Fifer - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler: It came before predator, but the production was appaling. Predator is good and the film only reached the box office as "Amercent" film managed to bring on board funding from American Entertainment LLP. Now the rest is history as they say.
BigHairyIan - on 29 Jun 2012
I don't know about films, but he sparked off the idea for my favourite route name: Conan the Librarian!
colina - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

predator is my favourite .on the dvd there is a great section on how the film was made ..probably better than the film actually .arnie lost about 2 stone from the beginning of the film till the end.
some great quotes too .one in particular was when arnie threw a machete at a baddie and came out with a typical arnie quip of "stick around"!
pure class.
undoubtably one of the finest actors in the history of film .shakespeare awaits surely.
"Romeo ,Romeo ...get to the chopperrr !"
Steve John B - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> Bollocks to all that.

Yeah! True Lies is ace.

But so are lots of the others

ads.ukclimbing.com
Bimble on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Either Total Recall (triple-tits ftw), Commando or Terminator 2 for me
cap'nChino - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk: In terms of "acting" id say True Lies and Terminator 1 and 2. True lies because it actually gave him some half decent lines and he carried the role off pretty well. For the terminators, while his didn speak much he was a convincing cybernetic organism. Properly scary in the first on (lets remember when it was made) and the second on he managed to pull of a similar charatar with a little warmth.

That said he's still a crap actor compared to most, and being able to act like a cybernetic organism isnt the most demanding role.

Predator and terminator are probably his best films for me, but most of the films he did were pretty watchable, I can think of one I really didnt like.
Blue Straggler - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to colina:
> (In reply to crustypunkuk)
>
>
> undoubtably one of the finest actors in the history of film .shakespeare awaits surely.

You are forgetting his Hamlet sequence in The Last Action Hero
"To be, or not to be....
NOT to be"
(throws flaming axe at bad guys)
Morgan Woods - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to crustypunkuk)
>
> The Last Action Hero. MASSIVELY misunderstood.
>
>

Yeah quite a lot of fun in a self aware sort of way, not sure why it gets such a bad rap.
Clarence - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Total Recall or Commando

"Iyffe got to saffe chennie..."
graeme jackson - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:
His best line must surely be in Conan 2 when he's being ministered to by the princess......

P. "Does nothing ever hurt you Conan?
C, "only pain".

priceless.

I also enjoyed his performance in 2012 as governor of california suddenly getting swept away in a catastrophe seconds after reassuring the populace that all is well.
no_more_scotch_eggs - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

you know,its very strange; no one has mentioned "Jingle all the way" yet...
graeme jackson - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
> (In reply to crustypunkuk)
>
> you know,its very strange;

No it isn't
cap'nChino - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
> (In reply to crustypunkuk)
>
> you know,its very strange; no one has mentioned "Jingle all the way" yet...

Nothing to see here, move along now.
skarabrae - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk: it HAS to be Hercules in new York (or central park) very early film in which he us Greek hero Hercules & he gets transported in time to modern day new York, the scene in which he wrestles a bear (well a bloke in a very bad bear suit) is an all time cinematic classic!! ;-)
Tom Last - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Total Recall

"See you at the party Richter..."
Toby_W on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Hercules starring Arnold Strong.

Cheers

Toby
no_more_scotch_eggs - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to skarabrae:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065832/

wow. 2.9/10 rating. on 10000-odd votes. that's quite an... impressive... rating

;-)

rubyblue - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk: Yes love Arnie and Running Man comes near the top.There was the fairly bad Red Heat - the scene where he lets loose with a machine gun is just amusing! No one like him these days....
MHutch - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to rubyblue:

True Lies is fun. The bit with the Harrier Jump Jet...
Blue Straggler - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Oh man I forgot all about Red Sonja!
jonathan shepherd - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to MHutch: Got to be True lies, the only Arnie film that makes me laugh out loud.
philmorris - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

What's with all you people and violent films?
Has nobody else seen the classic Twins or Kindergarten Cop?
And the uber-classic Jingle all the way.

That Arnie is a versatile actor.

(withdraws toungue from cheek)
LastBoyScout on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

No mention of Red Sonia?

I like True Lies, Conan the Barbarian and Predator - and Commando for the whole silliness of it :-)
LastBoyScout on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
>
> Oh man I forgot all about Red Sonja!

Damn!
ads.ukclimbing.com
tintinandpip - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk: Has to be Terminator 2 for me. Ron Fawcett was famously obsessed with the original Terminator having seen it whilst climbing in the states.
UKC Forums - on 29 Jun 2012
This thread was started in the OFF BELAY forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Culture Bunker - A forum dedicated to reviews and discussion of media and the arts. Just read a book? Why not share it by writing a review. Love music? Want to critique the latest releases? The Culture Bunker is the place. Seen a play or a film? Let's hear about it. This is the place to come if you are looking for a book, album or film recommendation.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
hexcentric - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Terminator 2, 1, Predator, Commando all in first place at a tie.

/end of thread.
Ava Adore - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to crustypunkuk)
>
> The Running Man is appalling, as is End of Days (and don't get me wrong, I love Gabriel Byrne, Robin Tunney, the fact that Miriam Margoyles is one of only two women to have thrown Arnie across a room on screen, and the fact that Arnie's character has the ludicrous name "Jericho Kane")
>
> I just remembered Twins, he was in fact very good in that.
>
> I have never seen Junior or Kindergarten Cop, and would like to keep things that way.
>
> Your argument about "A.N. Other" doesn't work. Total Recall and The Terminator would arguably have been better with A. N. Other (logically, in The Terminator, there is no good reason that the cyborgs developed by SkyNet have big fleshy biceps, as their strength comes from the robotic skeleton - remember that Lance Henrikson was in the running for The Terminator role and may have made more sense in the role...and Arnie had already done Conan so his effect on 80s cinema was assured somewhat anyway)



When I saw the thread title, Total Recall immediately came to mind - and I'm sticking with that. True Lies is a super film but I'd forgotten Arnie was even in it - how can you remember anyone other than Jamie Lee ;-).

Terminator - he may have been wooden but it's such a memorable role.

Kindergarten Cop - You may be pleasantly surprised. It really isn't that bad. I may have a copy on DVD somewhere so if I do I'll stick it in my rucksack for the next time I bump into you at a wall :-).

cap'nChino - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk: Good to see UKC Mods think of Arnie as cultural.
Blue Straggler - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Ava Adore:

I would be happy to see Kindergarten Cop as it has Penelope Ann Miller in it when she was about 30. I don't know why I made that comment above! I must have meant Jingle All The Way.

As for the fellow who said KG isn't violent, I HAVE seen the opening Arnie action scene from it and it was pretty violent!
Ava Adore - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Jingle all the Way - aye. Not good.
fire_munki on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:
One of my ex's was obsessed with Arnie, I've not got 100s of Arnie quotes running round my head!
There is a Arnie flash soundboard floating around the interweb which alwys makes me smile.
Anyhows, End of Days is great, but I think True Lies is prob the best, well until I watch anyother one anyway.
Nath93 - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk: Almost forgot, Red Heat !

"Do you know Miranda ? Never heard of the bitch ! *WHACK*"
lmarenzi - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

My vote is Terminator.

Two incomparably great lines.

One is to the landlord who calls through the door that his room stinks.

The other is

"I'll be back".

I use them both virtually every day ...
Run_Ross_Run - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk:

Mrs 09 says Predator and I tend to agree with her.
Blue Straggler - on 29 Jun 2012
In reply to fire_munki:
>
> Anyhows, End of Days is great


Really? Seriously? I just didn't get it at all. The Sixth Day was way better (in terms of "later-period Arnold")
Miss Piggy on 29 Jun 2012 - 94-192-157-178.zone6.bethere.co.uk
In reply to crustypunkuk: I'm looking forward to the sequel to Twins... & no it's not called Triplets... :0)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.