/ NEWS: Adder crack, 5.13 R FA by Hazel Findlay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
UKC News - on 30 Sep 2012
Adder Crack, 5.13 R, Longhouse, Squamish, 2 kbHazel Findlay, currently in Squamish on her way to Yosemite, has made the first ascent of Adder Crack, 5.13 R (~8a+) at Longhouse, Squamish, Canada.
You can read all about it on her blog, but here is the short version.
The thin crack, or seam really, was cleaned by Joshua...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=67473
puppythedog on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC News: I thought she was from Bristol?
Kyuzo on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Great name, adder crack!
Blue Straggler - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to puppythedog:

She was mostly raised in Warrington. Bristol for university, and possibly still based there. "Lake District's finest" might mean she was born there. Not sure.
Tom Last - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff, cool route name!

Your html tags have gone a little wonky.
Chris Shorter - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC News:
> Lake District's finest, Hazel Findley

Are you sure that "Lake District's finest" isn't her climbing partner "Pete".

Hazel was little more than a baby when I knew the family and her mother was a Deputy Head of a school near Yarm in North Yorkshire and I think they had moved up there from Bristol. I recall that somewhere near Mold was their next location. It seems quite a few places can stake a claim!
Blue Straggler - on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to Chris Shorter:
> (In reply to UKC News)
> [...]
>
> Are you sure that "Lake District's finest" isn't her climbing partner "Pete".
>

UKC seem to have taken the text string "Lake District's finest" from a caption beneath a photo on Hazel's blog. The photos are not very clear and I can't see what's going on or who it is in the photo, but I'm pretty sure it's not Hazel.
I've met her and I am pretty sure she said she was, to all intents and purposes, "from" Warrington. Or had spent at least a large chunk of her childhood/adolescence there.

Anyway this is too much of a digression!

It's a grand achievement and also an interesting back story to the route and figuring out how to protect it etc.
Björn Pohl - UKC - on 30 Sep 2012
Oh dear, indeed... Changes are made. How hard can it be to spell a name? Too hard apparently. Sorry about that. And yes, I thought that was Hazel in the photo with the caption about "Lake District's finest".
puppythedog on 30 Sep 2012
In reply to UKC News: Nice one Hazel, I like the wit for the name :-)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.