UKC

Which ND filter to get?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 12 May 2013
Will need to be 77mm for my largest lens...but not sure what strength to go for.

I want to take silky waterfalls...not necessarily in bright daylight (though might be nice) but more in evening or twilight. Also want to get pictures of the beach/sea at sunset with silky water.

I am looking at an ND64 Hoya pro-1...82mm thread for £60 (82mm cause is cheaper than 77mm lol).

Would this be appropriate?

Thanks for any help!
 Run_Ross_Run 12 May 2013
In reply to phja:

Try a grad kit. Will enable the features below the light line to stand out also. Ive got

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cokin-H250A-ND-Grad-Kit/dp/B000A40M22

and used it on my landscape/waterfall/sunset shots.
 Jim Haydock 13 May 2013
In reply to phja:
In all honesty, if you want that 'milky' effect then I would suggest a 'Big stopper' (Google it) which is a 10X ND filter that can be used for both colour and B&W photography. They are great (I have one).
The only drawback is you need the filter holder etc and the 10X filter itself will set you back best part of £100 AND..... it's made of glass !! so no dropping it
The one I have is made by LEE filters, but you may be able to find a cheaper alternative ??
Good luck, you can get some great effects with it
JH.
 Jon Read 13 May 2013
In reply to phja:
If you really want to take your photography forward, I'd just stump up the cash and get a Lee filter holder system, and a .9 ND hard grad, possibly available as a kit. With that grad filter, you can use it as a full .9 ND filter, or use it as grad and reduce the light for part of the frame.
I bought into the Lee system very early on, and have never regretted it.
 BStar 13 May 2013
The filter you have mentioned would be suitable, you may want to also consider the B+W 10 stop filter or even a variable fader one (Light Craft Workshop produce one of these). I would not recommend the 0.9 Grad ND for the application you mentioned in the OP. I picked my 77mm B+W 10 Stop ND filter up from eBay for under £50 I seem to remember.

I use graduated filters a lot for landscape work, the size I have (Cokin P) does not quite cover the entire frame enough to use it as a replacement for a solid ND filter. This will depend on how wide of an angle lens you have, the softness/hardness of the graduation and the brand you choose to get. I was using a 10mm lens on a crop sensor camera with a HiTech Hard Grad.

To get the silky water motion in waterfall I use either a 10 Stop B+W filter or a 3 stop Hoya filter depending of the brightness and speed of the water. For beach shots I will use both a solid ND filter and a graduated filter on the sky as this will generally be brighter.

What lens / camera are you using? I would say that graduated filters are extremely useful and I use them a lot more than the solid ones, however hard edge grad filters are generally (IMHO) less useful and one 3 stop filter may not reduce the shutter speed down to what you want to.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...