UKC

Llechog ridge followed by Eastern Terrace scramble talk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BStar 06 Aug 2013
Not sure whether this would be hill talk or rock talk but anyway...

I'm off up to North Wales for a few days and I wanted to tick off a couple of scrambles that I've not done but more importantly I want the Mrs to get a bit more scrambling under her belt. I want to do Llechog ridge followed by Eastern Terrace as the title indicates.

While my Easy climbs and Scrambles book tells me that they are grade 2 and 1 scrambles respectively, looking at Eastern Terrace here on UKC is appears to have been graded a Mod climb.

Normally I wouldn’t rope up for a grade 1 scramble but a Mod climb, to me, would indicate that it is approaching a grade 3 scramble, something a little more serious. That's a bit of a difference from the book grade 1 suggesting. Does anyone know if this scramble protectable, especially in the initial part where apparently it is harder? Does is get greasy when wet? Or is it as simple as it says in the book?

Cheers
 Banned User 77 06 Aug 2013
In reply to BStar: I backed off it.. in the wet. I was doing a long day of various scrambles.. got around to that and backed off the step into it.. the slip would be nasty.

I think its certainly harder than llechogg..
In reply to BStar:

This is the standard descent from Cloggy, right? I'd have thought you could protect the tricky bit at the bottom - can't say I have, but it's next to a crack. I'd have thought building a belay higher up might be more of a challenge.

I'd imagine it would be harder when wet to a greater degree than most scrambles. It doesn't have terribly positive holds as routes of that standard go.

jcm
OP BStar 06 Aug 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I'm not too sure if it's the standard decent from cloggy, if you take a look at this picture, I think it's the left hand part of the V shape in the rock.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9y_vvkkwH2E/UbtSolr7NmI/AAAAAAAAATM/5cRfk0kHddY/s...
In reply to BStar:

Yeah, that's the one.

jcm
In reply to BStar:

Yes, my memory is of greasy, polished committing moves above a drop that would unquestionably be fatal. It's only a very short section, and on a nice day im sure it would be straightforward, but I can't remember ever being so rattled on a route.

Not sure how protectable it was, we didn't have a rope ('its only a grade 1 scramble...'), and I was too busy gibbering to look properly...

It's not mod, grade 2 scramble, but serious in the wet.

Cloggy- even the scrambles are intimidating...!

Best wishes

Gregor
 Banned User 77 07 Aug 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
> (In reply to BStar)
>
> Yes, my memory is of greasy, polished committing moves above a drop that would unquestionably be fatal. It's only a very short section, and on a nice day im sure it would be straightforward, but I can't remember ever being so rattled on a route.
>
> Not sure how protectable it was, we didn't have a rope ('its only a grade 1 scramble...'), and I was too busy gibbering to look properly...
>
> It's not mod, grade 2 scramble, but serious in the wet.
>
> Cloggy- even the scrambles are intimidating...!
>
>

Good to know it wasn't just me.. I spent a while psyching myself up for that move.. and kept bottling it and in the end backed off.. yeah a slip would result in a fair fall.

OP BStar 07 Aug 2013
In reply to IainRUK and no_more_scotch_eggs:

Thanks for your input guys, I think I will take it as the day comes, if the weather looks nice and dry I will go and check it out, if not I'll probably give it a miss.

Cheers again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...