UKC

Climbing/bouldering for free?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Winncent 09 Sep 2013
Hi!
Are there any climbing walls or boulders in London, where you don't have to pay any admission? Or where you pay just small change..? Thanks for any suggestions. I am short of money but I'd like to keep climbing... Cheers!
 nniff 09 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent:

Regents canal walls? Go old school.....
 Rachel Slater 09 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent:

Haven't done most of these, but my suggestions:

- Get a part time job at the wall where you get free climbing and have to work as little as possible
- Pretend to be a member of staff and casually walk in
- Get a fake student ID
- Say you're just there to watch you're friends, then walk in and climb anyway.
- Try and win a free pass
- Get super friendly with the staff/chat to the staff on your way in and distract them from asking you to pay
- Enter the wall via the back door

Again.. just ideas!
Winncent 09 Sep 2013
In reply to nniff:
Regent canal walls? Where exactly is this spot? What area? Regent canal is quite long...
Thanks.
Winncent 09 Sep 2013
In reply to Rachel Slater:
Very constructive!!! :-D I'll think about it Thanks. (at least part time job like this would be helpful for sure)
 Gone 09 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent:

Fairlop boulders in East London
 andrewere 09 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent:

There used to be some climbing at a place called Parkland Walk which was a disused railway line from Finsbury Park to Hampstead.The climbing was on the brickwork and went up 10-15 metres or so. There were sculptures sticking out of the wall and you could top-rope from the railings.

There was also the Sobell centre nearby which was cheap and cheerful. That was in the mid 90's so not sure what's there now but worth a try.
 Howardw1968 09 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent: I heard the shard makes a decent climb
i.munro 09 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent:

4 or 5 (smallish ) boulders in ST Lukes gardens, Sydney St next to the 5-a side pitches.
 alooker 09 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent: fairlop!
 Ramblin dave 09 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent:
Some tips:
youtube.com/watch?v=u2zg23N5zXY&

Otherwise, Fairlop is a good shout.
 Kieran_John 12 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent:

Surely there's got to be some kind Londoner with a homemade woody willing to help out?

Then again with the price of housing in London I expect any spare garage/room may be rented.
lanky_suction1 12 Sep 2013
 nufkin 13 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent:

There used to be some boulders in Shoreditch Park that were specifically for climbing on. Not sure if they're still there.
 Twilton 15 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent: Fairlop Waters boulders (http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=15763) are nice for a day out when the weather is good. They're made of concrete, but there's a nice variety to the problems. There tend to be a lot of kids about at weekends though.

The Shoreditch Park boulder (http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=9490) is good for working a couple of problems over lunch, but the rock is brutal compared to plastic, and the problems are harder than Fairlop.

Those were the two places I hung out when I didn't have any money for wall membership.
 ti_pin_man 16 Sep 2013
In reply to Winncent: dude, its a bit south west of the centre but white spider need full and part time staff... Advert just posted on Facebook this afternoon. Might be just the thing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...