UKC

Wall gap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 12 Sep 2013
I've noticed a large area of central Wales (where my father-in-law lives so I am often there) with no decent wall nearby. Check the find climbing walls function and centre on Shrewsbury (60 mile radius). Nothing in most of the south west quandrant (and the one at Shrewsbury is poor).

Come on, someone build a wall there. In Welshpool.
In reply to Flinticus: There is an excellent one at Oswestry not far from Welshpool, also there is one in Newport that is decent.
OP Flinticus 12 Sep 2013
In reply to permanenttrauma:
Both look good for bouldering (though Newport is 50 miles from my father-in-laws, so a bit too far). The Oswestry seems to be bouldering only, while the Newport has some top roping but the photos indicate a fairly low height, though it does look like an excellent bouldering venue.

Shame my wife won't climb outdoors as the Llanymynech Quarry look good.
In reply to Flinticus: You're right about Oswestry and Newport being bouldering. Llanymynech doesn't just look good, it's superb. Grid Iron Wall would be my number 1 recommendation for the area but all the walls there are excellent. Round the back is Cul de sac quarry where you can set up some nice top ropes. Maybe you could persuade your wife to give that a go?
OP Flinticus 12 Sep 2013
Hmmm. Good idea. What lenght of rope would I need to set up those top ropes?
 sbattams 12 Sep 2013
In reply to Flinticus:

I would love to know how much money is needed to build a wall (im not looking at wales though) and time scales.

I know it would need planning permission and possible change of use permission, local grants might be available, A technical advisor is needed, Route setter (im sure these are easy to come by)

Plus a tall building.

Anyone got any ideas at all?
In reply to Flinticus: the lengths of some of the climbs can be found here http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1070 mostly about 15m high for cul de sac
OP Flinticus 13 Sep 2013
In reply to permanenttrauma:
Thanks for all your help. You got to be local?
In reply to Flinticus:

Seriously, as much as you want to spend!

Renting an industrial building for a bouldering only wall as a self build wouldn't cost much at all (in business setting up terms - not pocket money).

A big old building like a lot of climbing walls end up in, churches etc. have the problems of big old buildings, so you have to deal with them, tweak them to make them suitable shapes then install a wall, before staffing it.

£100k for a building and £400k for top quality work could leave you with a cracking facility, the main issue is finding the time to get it done!

Lottery funding and everything is not as onerous to break into as a lot of folk think, give it a go

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...