UKC

Cruachan quick hit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 22 Nov 2013
Set the alarm early (well, half seven...) and went for a quick look at the NE Face/Coire of Sron na Isean on Ben Cruachan this morning. Was up there last winter for a poke about and ended up unintentionally watching a cracking sunset from the top of Stob Diamh after things took longer than we expected in deep and difficult conditions.

Brisk walk in on firm ground, lots of water ice and solid turf lumps about. Went for a turfy/icy/rocky line up the skyline ridge you see on the walk in. Not a lot of snow in general, but what was there was getting pretty useful. Turf had frozen up well overnight too. Cracking adventure making the route up as I went along, plenty different options to go at, and plenty other options on the face (think a lot of the obvious routes have been climbed, but no info in guidebook or on UKC other than Y-Gully).

Then, at about 1130 when I got to the summit ridge, the cloud dropped, the temperature shot up, the wind started blowing and I turned tail and went home for a shower and a cup of tea!!! Knew I should've got up earlier!!!

Some pics here (quite an animal-tastic day too...)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152000757985865.1073741845.7386...

Ceilidh tonite, quiet day tomo, back out on Sunday!!

Cheers,
Gordon
Tim Chappell 22 Nov 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

You're getting good at this lightning-raid malarkey, aren't you?

Nice pics. What's with the sheep? The last one, with two sheep, could be the basis for a caption competition.
OP peebles boy 22 Nov 2013
In reply to Tim Chappell:

They reminded me of some kind of star trek alien! Open it up to the public for Caption Competition tho...

"Ewe'll never believe what I heard yesterday"
"Alright love, feeling horny?"

Tim Chappell 22 Nov 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

I was thinking more like: "Don't let him photo you. You don't know where this might lead."
estivoautumnal 23 Nov 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

You are correct, lots of the lines have been climbed. Many by Dave Ritchie and others. Dozens of routes are logged with the SMC.
OP peebles boy 23 Nov 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal:

Any idea how to get information on routes in there then? Knew there would be some routes, but dozens seems like a lot for a small crag space!!!
Tim Chappell 23 Nov 2013
Tim Chappell 23 Nov 2013

I see Henning and Arno have got there before you, Gordon

http://graniteandice.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/tainted-elixir-v6-northern-corr...
In reply to peebles boy:

Was up doing the ridge today and ended up coming down off Sron na Isean back to the Stronmilchan road. It did look good round there and the ridge leading up to Beinn a Bhuiridh looks great. Also lots looking good off the north end of the main Cruachan ridge
OP peebles boy 23 Nov 2013

Tim,

Think that's all stuff that's logged in Coire Chat which is off Cruachans main (highest) summit, but struggling to find any info about routes on the Sron Isean face. I don't think things on Sron Isean are as anywhere near as good in terms of route quality, but for just over an hours walk in (or bike in and easy return to car after route!), Sron Isean could well be a useful area in the right conditions!

Cheers,
Gordon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...