UKC

Hunger Games

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 27 Nov 2013
Katniss, the lead character seems to me to be a supercool female role model. Went to see the second film at the pictures with my wife and daughter the other day and my daughter, who's 11, said "I want to be like Katniss!", which pleased me.

Anyone else seen the film and thought the same thing?

As an aside, Jennifer Lawrence, who plays Katniss, is utterly mesmerising.
 Puppythedog 27 Nov 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

I completely agree with you. She might enjoy reading the books, you get a lot more depth about the more realistic aspects of her heroism, such as her reluctance and feeling pressed into it and stuff.
I think anything that introduces dystopia to young uns as a concept is good, particularly if the experience of it is empowering.

Jennifer Lawrence is not only mesmerising but she was interviewed recently ( I think Radio Times) and she 'grassed up' hollywood for trying to tell her to lose weight all the time so maybe she is a good role model too.
OP Yanis Nayu 27 Nov 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

The books are on the way)))

I don't know anything about Jennifer Lawrence, other than she's incredible in the role of Katniss, but it's good to hear that she's got her head screwed on.
 Tom Valentine 27 Nov 2013

I first saw her in a film called Winter's Bone which was excellent in every way. Worth looking out for.

UKC Forums 27 Nov 2013
This thread was started in the OFF BELAY forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.
Culture Bunker
A forum dedicated to reviews and discussion of media and the arts. Just read a book? Why not share it by writing a review. Love music? Want to critique the latest releases? The Culture Bunker is the place. Seen a play or a film? Let's hear about it. This is the place to come if you are looking for a book, album or film recommendation.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
andyathome 27 Nov 2013

Not seen either film but just reading the first book. I think it deals with moral ambivalence very well; and also gets the reader thinking about duality of persona.
As a 'supercool female role model' well yes, but if the feminine is essential I'm not so sure; the gender is not an essential part of the narrative I'd have thought?

My eldest son (16) loved the first film and is keen to see the second. Maybe he too finds 'Jennifer Lawrence, who plays Katniss, is utterly mesmerising'
 marsbar 27 Nov 2013

Probably going to see it at the weekend, depends how many of Miss Marsbars friends can make it. Its so uncool to take old people to the cinema apparently. Its her favourite thing ever at the moment, probably an improvement on 1 direction.
OP Yanis Nayu 27 Nov 2013
In reply to andyathome:

I agree that as a character, she can be a role model to either sex. I only have a daughter though, and in my opinion it's a big issue for girls that the media feeds them some appalling role models, so my personal interest is from the female perspective. It's that particular issue that made me post it in Off Belay, it's not the film as such it's the female role model issue.

I'm sure he does find her mesmerising)))

Blue Straggler 28 Nov 2013

I gather that in the books Katniss is not as pulchritudinous as J-Law.

btw I first saw Ms. Lawrence in a criminally overlooked little film called The Burning Plain, she was the "unknown" teen actress (not having outgrown puppy-fat, and all the more convincing for it) in it alongside Kim Basinger and Charlize Theron both approaching "career-best" performances. Not since The Hand That Rocks The Cradle have I seen a powerful film anchored by three strong female characterisations. Obviously The Hand That Rocks The Cradle is daft hokum. The Burning Plain is proper intelligent adult drama if mildly arty-farty. Lawrence has been great in everything I've seen her in and deserved her Best Actress nomination for Winter's Bones and deserved her win for Silver Linings Playbook. I like that she is versatile enough to mix such roles up with X-Men stuff, and I look forward to American Hustle. I am not sure if I can sit through a second Hunger Games film though!
 tistimetogo 28 Nov 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Outstanding use of "pulchritudinous" and a readable 11 on the Gunning Fog index.

But back to the topic.

I keeping reading about how inspiring JL is in the papers (now it's on UKC). Surely there's a limit to how much of a role model you can be in a fantastical universe. It's great to escape for a while to a post apocalyptic future, middle earth or a galaxy far far away. But how is that relevent or make the heroine/hero a great role model for kids. Sorry but I call bullxxxx.

Surely it just means they'll fantasize about shooting people with a bow and arrow. Nothing wrong with a good imagination. But that's all it is. Fun nonsense.
 Blue Straggler 28 Nov 2013
In reply to tistimetogo:

> Outstanding use of "pulchritudinous" and a readable 11 on the Gunning Fog index.

Ooh I'd not heard of that before. Thanks, I have learned something!

> But back to the topic.

> I keeping reading about how inspiring JL is in the papers (now it's on UKC). Surely there's a limit to how much of a role model you can be in a fantastical universe. It's great to escape for a while to a post apocalyptic future, middle earth or a galaxy far far away.

JL has done more than Hunger Games and X-Men though! I think she IS a good role model actually, as she is a young attractive major movie star who has not (yet) vamped it up. Scarlett Johannson, though she has got away with it with flying colours, took a bit of a gamble with going down the "pushing her sexuality" route. Yes, JL is Mystique in the X-Men films, but just look at those films I mentioned (The Burning Plain, Winter's Bone, Silver Linings Playbook). Not massively flattering, physically. Yes she is beyond "presentable", but she's sidestepped the whole "be marketed as a sex object" thing despite her obvious attractiveness. I say "good role model".
Don't confuse the actress with the characters
myth 01 Dec 2013

Saw it last night. Was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Much better than the first and a lot less cheesy.

JL does appear to be playing the part of good role model very well. I'm sure the cracks will appear eventually but who cares, she is starting on the right tracks.
 Choss 01 Dec 2013

My Daughter went to see this last night. Big fan of hunger Games.

Her Opinion, good, Better than first, but too Long.
 The New NickB 01 Dec 2013

I've seen the first one on the recommendation of my girlfriends 12 year old, we are all going to see the second on Friday. Looking forward to it.
 Al Evans 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

I haven't seen the film or read the book, but it is being previewed as a book to read on the local ex=pat radio with a short extract. I'd like to know what happens to Buttercup the cat (the ugliest cat ever!), who mistrusts her as he remembers 'years ago' when she tried to drown him when he was being brought home
 Choss 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

> I haven't seen the film or read the book, but it is being previewed as a book to read on the local ex=pat radio with a short extract. I'd like to know what happens to Buttercup the cat (the ugliest cat ever!), who mistrusts her as he remembers 'years ago' when she tried to drown him when he was being brought home

No Spoilers. Youll have to read the book to find out 7;^)
 Banned User 77 01 Dec 2013

JL comes across really well as a person, quite outspoken at times, which is no bad thing.
 Offwidth 01 Dec 2013

What a sad ending to a great post. Hunger games is first rate teen fluff that someone of your love of film should be able to surf through joyously.
 The New NickB 01 Dec 2013

Of course both the actress and the character can be good role models, without anyone confusing the two.
 anonymouse 01 Dec 2013
> Katniss, the lead character seems to me to be a supercool female role model. Went to see the second film at the pictures with my wife and daughter the other day and my daughter, who's 11, said "I want to be like Katniss!", which pleased me.

I've read the books and, while the story is gripping, I found Katniss oddly passive. She was manipulated by one group then another and never seemed to take charge of her own destiny. An odd role model.

Choss 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Al Evans:

Oh go on then.

Buttercup is Forced to marry the evil Prince.

Oh no!

But dont worry, Wesley saves her in the end with the help of Inigo and Fezzik.
 Al Evans 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Choss:

I have to read this book now
OP Yanis Nayu 01 Dec 2013
In reply to anonymouse:

Without wishing to provide a spoiler, I only really saw a glimpse of that at the end of the second film.
OP Yanis Nayu 01 Dec 2013
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> I first saw her in a film called Winter's Bone which was excellent in every way. Worth looking out for.

I just bought it)
 Blue Straggler 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Sorry Offwidth.
1) I saw The Hunger Games at the cinema, I knew it was teen fluff but I was curious because it was HUGELY hyped (I hadn't seen motorway billboards for a film so far in advance, for many years - seriously it had huge motorway hoardings about 3 months prior to release)
2) Whilst watching it, I was sitting mesmerised thinking "what a well made film, everything is perfectly slotting into place - this works very well, kudos to the 'no-name' nuts-and-bolts director"
3) I thought they did particularly good work with the tricky issue of how you depict teenagers savagely butchering each other, in a teen-oriented film with a family-friendly certificate.
4) BUT sadly it outstayed its welcome by a good 30 minutes. THAT is where my "sit through another one" comes from. Catching Fire is even longer, I think.

TBH I had it in mind for last Tuesday as that is "cheap night" at my local cinema (£5 for any film in 2D, any time) but I was out on an engineering support call and didn't get home until 8pm and I was shattered.
OP Yanis Nayu 02 Dec 2013

I found the second one a bit too long.
 Al Evans 02 Dec 2013

I have now searched Buttercup on the web, he has his own web page
http://thehungergames.wikia.com/wiki/Buttercup
I can now die happy
 Dauphin 02 Dec 2013

Silver linings was a disappointment - didn't know what kind of film it wanted to be. Didn't really know how to deal with mental illness, went all feel good rom com about 1/3 way through and then went for the Hollywood ending. JL was nice to watch, but I was expecting something darker and more honest from Bradley what his face.

D
 LastBoyScout 02 Dec 2013

Saw Catching Fire on Saturday. Thought the first was better, more defined plot and a decent ending - worst bit about CF was the cliffhanger at the end.

Agree with the comment about her being manipulated through it - too much of an unwitting pawn in the plot.

I'll watch the next one to find out what happened.
 Puppythedog 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

In fairnes to it it did follow the book, so that ending is the ending that ois in the book. Also it's not a hollywood ending becuase one of the main protagonists was captured by the capital.
What do you mean didn't know how to deal with mental illness? What Rom Com bits?
 Blue Straggler 02 Dec 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

I went with low expectations. Writer-director David O Russell has an annoying habit of tying up his films (all of which tease you with a promising dark and cynical tone) far too neatly (well maybe I speak only of Three Kings and The Fighter - I rather enjoyed Flirting With Disaster but that's mainly thanks to Téa Leoni!)

I was dragged to it.
From that starting point, I was pleasantly surprised, for the most part. But my comments were really about Lawrence's Oscar. Her character was difficult (not totally likeable, and rather complex) and she did very good work with it.
 Dauphin 02 Dec 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

The implicit message of the film was that mental illness can be cured by meeting the right person. But neither were mentally ill, but perhaps a pair of dysfunctional dicks from difficult families.

'Captured by the capital' you lost me. I did watch it the afternoon after coming back from a music festival so it may passed me by even if I was trying to give it my full attention.

Agree with Blue about David O Russell - 3 Kings and the Fighter two films that start well enough and then the director decides to take a shit on his audience.

D
 Offwidth 02 Dec 2013

Thats more like it
 The New NickB 02 Dec 2013
In reply to puppythedog:

He is talking about another film, 'silver linings play book' which I haven't seen, so I don't know how valid his critique is.
 Puppythedog 02 Dec 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Thank you, I was wondering what the flipping heck he was talking about. We're talking about two different films.
 Blue Straggler 10 Dec 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

> 'Captured by the capital' you lost me.

Were you not listening during the final dialogue scene? (not having a go at you - it can be easy for your attention to waver especially when you don't know it's the very end of the film!)
 Blue Straggler 10 Dec 2013
In reply to anonymouse:

> I found Katniss oddly passive. She was manipulated by one group then another and never seemed to take charge of her own destiny. An odd role model.

I have not read them but I have now seen the first two films and I am inclined to agree but then I also agree with UKC poster "myth" who said "Much better than the first and a lot less cheesy. " (which doesn't explicitly disagree with your comment about Katniss). Storytelling is a funny old thing. You are expected to root for the Josh Hartnett character in Lucky Number Slevin but I saw him as a dangerous psychopath who thought nothing of killing totally innocent people in order to get closer to his target. At least Katniss is doing her best to get through an inescapable situation, and her initiative at the end of "Catching Fire" (re: the "lightning tree" and the dome) was not manipulated by anyone.

Don't forget that this stuff is targeted at 12-15-year-olds and I don't think there is any agenda in there, just maybe a bit of laziness (on the part of Collins) based on the assumption that her target audience probably won't analyse things in the same way that you and I are doing right now
 wilkie14c 10 Dec 2013

Worth a fiver then??
 Blue Straggler 11 Dec 2013
In reply to wilkie14c:

Would have been if they'd sorted the sound out (see FB rant).

But yes, thanks.
 Blue Straggler 11 Dec 2013
To clarify - I demurred for a fortnight, having seen the first one and having found it great for 1h45m before it outstayed its welcome and clearly had some adaptation issues. But the buzz around this sequel has been interesting so I went to see it and I think it was superior (often pt. 2 in a franchise is better than pt. 1 because you don't need an hour of pre-amble, but in this case there WAS an hour or more of pre-amble and it worked very well). In fact the actual "Games" portion of the film seemed to take a back seat to the bigger story, which is as it should be.

I enjoyed the cliffhanger ending because there are a FEW cliffhangers - namely "who can Katniss trust / believe?"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...