UKC

Fiacaill couloir

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Shaunmash 09 Jan 2014
Did anyone do Fiacaill Coulouir today, or any of the other gullies? I'm interested in conditions.
Shaunmash 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:

Anyone up Fiacaill Couloir or any of the other gullies yesterday (sat 11th)? Any conditions info would be great.
 DaveHK 12 Jan 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:
Do you ever actually go out or is it all about the anticipation?

There were several teams in Aladdins today but I didn't see anyone top out. Possibility of windslab on the exits but it may have been the case that the lack of mobile snow kept it scoured.
Post edited at 14:44
 JohnnyW 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:
As far as I could see there were no parties on the Fiachaill area at all on Sunday, as there was a serious amount of windslab dumped over by the strong W wind. It was also a maelstrom of spindrift am as we walked in.

It was hoachin' on Saturday though!

Mess of Pottage was amazingly calm though, once we got on our route

I saw parties topping out on Jacob's, (though I also saw a party retreat here as it was very steep on the RH exit), Aladdin's and Spiral from where I was. The cornices are fairly tough under the first few inches of crud, and areas of wind-scoured neve are available on the mainly Northern facing routes. It will all still benefit from a good wetting and re-freeze though.
Post edited at 10:42
Tim Chappell 13 Jan 2014
In reply to JohnnyW:

On Liathach yesterday it was mad gusty anywhere exposed, but completely still below the skyline. So after trying the skyline, I redescended and played in the corrie instead.
 mattrm 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:

My mate and I did Goat Track gully. It was in good condition. No cornice to worry about. Solid snow the whole way up.
 Gazlynn 13 Jan 2014
In reply to Shaunmash:

We went to have a look at either Invernookie or Fiacaill Coulouir yesterday.

We saw a couple of teams turn back as the spindrift and gusts where very very strong.

Fiacaill Couloir looked in decent nick although pretty loaded.

We ended up doing a variation on "Whose line is it anyway" and getting the hell out of dodge but we both commented that maybe Fiacaill Couloir wouldn't of been as bad once on the route as it seemed to calm down the higher up we got.

cheers

Gaz

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...