Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - BMC promoting religion on the hillside?

winhill - on 18 Mar 2014
Has anyone noticed the BMC BME symposium?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=581831

Workshops during the day are divided into indoor and outdoor sessions, with indoor sessions tackling a diverse range of subjects from funding and families to spirituality and heritage...

There will also be a keynote speech and plenary discussion on spirituality and the outdoors led by UK Forum Against Islamophobia and Racism (FAIR) founder Jeremy Henzell-Thomas.

Plus a workshop on 'Islam and Nature'.

I would have thought promoting religion (especially using representatives from only one religion) was erecting barriers rather than Breaking Down the Barriers.

Also if the decision has been made that the BMC is now going to be promoting religion then it begs the question what the religious affiliations are of those who made the decision (especially if only one religion is being promoted).

So whereas previously most of us would have probably thought that the religious affiliations of BMC Officers and volunteers was a private matter and nothing to do with the members, now it seems that we have a reasonable expectation that in fact BMC Officers and volunteers will be required to make their affiliations known, to avoid suspicions of partiality etc.

The symposium is being funded by Sport England but there doesn't seem to be much (anything) from Sport England on the idea of promoting religion or funding the promotion of religion nor 'celebrating' religion, certainly it doesn't feature in the Sports Councils Equality Group literature.
... not showing 48 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums