UKC

Climbing Quiz - Twenty Questions...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Following on from the previous quiz thread...

Twenty UK trad or Winter routes to find. The answer to each question is the main clue to the next one, although the exceptionally perceptive may manage some without working through them in order.

It is open to a team effort from the combined might of UKC to solve all twenty. Please supply crag and/or grade where possible.

Have fun...

1. It is Hobson’s choice for a great limestone E3.

2. A Yorkshire Extreme Rock tick in the author’s last completed novel.

3. Another one, more PC, wrote about a bold grit adventure in 1924.

4. Doubtless surpassed in 2000, if you listen, it may still help you find if an alternative to ‘Masters Edge’ survives in the Churnet valley.

5. If not alone they might be singing about this Peak Limestone E6.

6. A dietary description of the mammal or just a hard Scottish E2?

7. A high end grit line named after a resident of a location, now named after the first ascensionist of the previous route’s direct finish.

8. Another one climbed this remote and hard aid line in 1969.

9. A notorious pitch on this Scottish HVS slab climb.

10. Essential equipment for the first ascent of this Classic English line?

11. A description of this Scottish Extreme rock tick?

12. This Cairngorm test piece is no walk in the park and would seem to require that the previous route’s similar neighbour is not correct.

13. Is this the Winter grade VI gully to be climbed by those who have climbed the neighbouring E6?

14. The man behind the famous neighbouring grade VIII would also go to war now for a Peak E4.

15. A Peak gritstone E4, it is perhaps an apt description of an E1 to the left.

16. The first ascensionist apparently has an eponymous grit slab, although in this case due to a namesake who also climbed a fine groove on the same crag three years earlier.

17. A similarly colourful author’s 1951 wartime story is an archetypal grit line with low runners and a high crux.

18. Supposedly the first ascensionist takes a unique form of transport to the Lake District.

19. If the crag had a gully, would it not be in Scotland?

20. Someone found it better in Winter. What road did they take to crowning glory?
 mav 26 Mar 2014
In reply to The Ex-Engineer:
> 8. Another one climbed this remote and hard aid line in 1969.
That would be The Scoop, Sron Ulladale
>
> 9. A notorious pitch on this Scottish HVS slab climb.
Making this the Hammer, Etive Slabs
>
In reply to mav: Well done, 8&9 correct!

Peter Walker 26 Mar 2014
7) Doug ?
In reply to Peter Walker: Yes, spot on for 7. Doug E8 6c, Roaches Lower Tier.
 Ian Parsons 26 Mar 2014
6) - Carnivore? (Creag A'Bhancair)
Post edited at 11:32
 Ian Parsons 26 Mar 2014

4) - Sole Survivor, E6; Stony Dale Quarry.
5) - Eye or the Tiger; Ilam Rock.
 GeoffRadcliffe 26 Mar 2014

17. End of the Affair

and I think Ian means Eye of the Tiger

18. Dawes rides a shovelhead
 Ramblin dave 26 Mar 2014
In reply to Bulls Crack:

19 Raven's Gully.
In reply to Ian Parsons:
Superb. 4,5 & 6 all correct.

In reply to GeoffRadcliffe: Good call on 17 (and it is 'of' in 5).

edit - and 18!
Post edited at 11:49
In reply to Ramblin dave: 19 correct as well.
 Ramblin dave 26 Mar 2014

10 - Piton Route?
 Ian Parsons 26 Mar 2014
In reply to GeoffRadcliffe:

> and I think Ian means Eye of the Tiger

Indeed I do!
 Tom Last 26 Mar 2014

20 - Coronation Street
In reply to Ramblin dave:
Correct.

Update so far:

2. A Yorkshire Extreme Rock tick in the author’s last completed novel.

3. Another one, more PC, wrote about a bold grit adventure in 1924.

> 4. Sole Survivor E6, Stony Dale Quarry - Doubtless surpassed in 2000, if you listen, it may still help you find if an alternative to ‘Masters Edge’ survives in the Churnet valley.
> 5. Eye of the Tiger E6, Ilam Rock (Dovedale) - If not alone they might be singing about this Peak Limestone E6.
> 6. Carnivore E2, Creag a' Bhancair, Glencoe - A dietary description of the mammal or just a hard Scottish E2?
> 7. Doug E8, Roaches Lower Tier - A high end grit line named after a resident of a location, now named after the first ascensionist of the previous route’s direct finish.
> 8. The Scoop A3, Sron Ulladale - Another one climbed this remote and hard aid line in 1969.
> 9. Hammer HVS, Etive Slabs - A notorious pitch on this Scottish HVS slab climb.
> 10. Piton Route VS, Main Area Avon Gorge - Essential equipment for the first ascent of this Classic English line?

11. A description of this Scottish Extreme rock tick?

12. This Cairngorm test piece is no walk in the park and would seem to require that the previous route’s similar neighbour is not correct.

13. Is this the Winter grade VI gully to be climbed by those who have climbed the neighbouring E6?

14. The man behind the famous neighbouring grade VIII would also go to war now for a Peak E4.

16. The first ascensionist apparently has an eponymous grit slab, although in this case due to a namesake who also climbed a fine groove on the same crag three years earlier.

> 17. End of the Affair E8, Curbar Edge - A similarly colourful author’s 1951 wartime story is an archetypal grit line with low runners and a high crux.
> 18. Dawes Rides a Shovelhead E8, Raven Crag(Langdale) - Supposedly the first ascensionist takes a unique form of transport to the Lake District.
> 19. Raven's Gully VS/Grade V, Buachaille Etive Mor - If the crag had a gully, would it not be in Scotland?
> 20. Coronation Street E1, Cheddar Gorge - Someone found it better in Winter. What road did they take to crowning glory?
Post edited at 12:08

11. Chemin de Fer?
In reply to Tom Last: Correct!

> 11. Chemin de Fer?
Sorry no.

Ramblin dave 26 Mar 2014

Wild Country?
 mav 26 Mar 2014

King pin for 11? seems to fit piton route...
In reply to mav:
> King pin for 11? seems to fit piton route...

That's the one!
 Tom Last 26 Mar 2014

Great quiz & well compiled. A little like Round Britain Quiz I thought.

Might I suggest that since you've set the UKC hive mind to the test, if you do another it might be best to stipulate that the questions are answered in number order. Since correct answers only require an individual's familiarity with two consecutive routes, Johnny-come-latelys like myself are able to jump straight in at 20 to steal the glory! Might make the quiz last a little longer and set us all working a bit harder, that's all. Great stuff anyway.

I'm guessing that 16 is a route climbed by Lew Brown, perhaps on whatever crag Joe B's Dovedale Grooves is on?

jcm

2. Jenny Wren

2 Jenny Wren
3 Beau Geste

jcm

12 Run of the Arrow?

jcm

How is Doug named after the FA of Carnivore's direct finish, btw? Wasn't that Don W?

jcm

In reply to Tom Last: Forums are not the best medium for quizzes. From the previous thread it was clear that posting one question at a time wasn't ideal as it resulted in hours/days of delay between posts. I decided to post the whole list at once so people had plenty to get their teeth into but I'd appreciate any feedback after all the questions are answered.
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
> 2 Jenny Wren
> 3 Beau Geste

They're right.
 Tom Last 26 Mar 2014

Ah fair enough. Hadn't realised you'd tried that format before.
> How is Doug named after the FA of Carnivore's direct finish, btw? Wasn't that Don W?

Rockhall Cottage at the Roaches is the 'Don Whillans Memorial Hut'. That was where Doug Moller stayed, after which the route was named.

> 12 Run of the Arrow?

Also correct.

Tyler 26 Mar 2014

13. Central Icefall Direct, Rhydaer?

Only 5 left...

> 2. Jenny Wren E5, Gordale Scar - A Yorkshire Extreme Rock tick in the author’s last completed novel.
> 3. Beau Geste E7, Froggatt Edge - Another one, more PC, wrote about a bold grit adventure in 1924.
> 4. Sole Survivor E6, Stony Dale Quarry - Doubtless surpassed in 2000, if you listen, it may still help you find if an alternative to ‘Masters Edge’ survives in the Churnet valley.
> 5. Eye of the Tiger E6, Ilam Rock (Dovedale) - If not alone they might be singing about this Peak Limestone E6.
> 6. Carnivore E2, Creag a' Bhancair, Glencoe - A dietary description of the mammal or just a hard Scottish E2?
> 7. Doug E8, Roaches Lower Tier - A high end grit line named after a resident of a location, now named after the first ascensionist of the previous route’s direct finish.
> 8. The Scoop A3, Sron Ulladale - Another one climbed this remote and hard aid line in 1969.
> 9. Hammer HVS, Etive Slabs - A notorious pitch on this Scottish HVS slab climb.
> 10. Piton Route VS, Main Area Avon Gorge - Essential equipment for the first ascent of this Classic English line?
> 11. Kingpin E4, Church Door Buttress, Bidean Nam Ban - A description of this Scottish Extreme rock tick?
> 12. Run of the Arrow E6, Shelter Stone - This Cairngorm test piece is no walk in the park and would seem to require that the previous route’s similar neighbour is not correct.

Corrected - should read E5 not E6! Very sorry.
13. Is this the Winter grade VI gully to be climbed by those who have climbed a neighbouring E5?

> 17. End of the Affair E8, Curbar Edge - A similarly colourful author’s 1951 wartime story is an archetypal grit line with low runners and a high crux.
> 18. Dawes Rides a Shovelhead E8, Raven Crag(Langdale) - Supposedly the first ascensionist takes a unique form of transport to the Lake District.
> 19. Raven's Gully VS/Grade V, Buachaille Etive Mor - If the crag had a gully, would it not be in Scotland?
> 20. Coronation Street E1, Cheddar Gorge - Someone found it better in Winter. What road did they take to crowning glory?
Post edited at 13:15
In reply to Tyler:
> 13. Central Icefall Direct, Rhydaer?

Sorry no. However I have double checked and the question was slightly incorrect.
16. Just fishing here... I am thinking of Allen's Slab (climbed by Nat Allen) in 1951. Nat Allen also climbed Green Gut 3 years earlier. His namesake would be John Allen. John Allen climbed several E4s Profit of Doom (E5 now), Moonwalk, Forbidden Planet, ...
Post edited at 13:52

Good thinking, though what about 'similarly colourful'. Any JA colourful routes on Froggatt?

jcm
 Ramblin dave 26 Mar 2014

It's the Green Gut / Graham Greene connection isn't it? Good thinking Geoff.

Hmm. Maybe. But what's the route - there's no clue to it other than it being a JA route at Froggatt. Hairless Heart?

jcm
 Ian Parsons 26 Mar 2014

1) isn't by any chance Great Expectations at Hobson Moor Quarry (which is, of course, grit)? It obviously has the Dickens connection.
In reply to Ian Parsons:

If you want Dickens and lime E3, Welcome to Hard Times? With the direct finish. Struggling on Hobson, though.

jcm
> 16. Just fishing here... I am thinking of Allen's Slab (climbed by Nat Allen) in 1951. Nat Allen also climbed Green Gut 3 years earlier. His namesake would be John Allen. John Allen climbed several E4s Profit of Doom (E5 now), Moonwalk, Forbidden Planet, ...

Yes, 16 is Green Gut at Froggatt. As Dave says, that links to Graham Greene and his novel 'End of the Affair'.

Also you are correct in the 15 is a classic John Allen route, however you'll need to pick one, before I'll let you know if it's correct.

Oh I see. 'The first ascensionist' in clue 16 is the FA of route 15 not route 16. Serve us right for trying to solve out of order.

Most of JA's grit routes are harder than E4! The Strangler? Pretty apt description of Centaur to its left.

jcm
 Bulls Crack 26 Mar 2014

Valerie Hobson was Estella in the 1946 film of Great Expetations.....so Google says
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Golly. Still, the route GE is still at Hobson Moor and this grit, isn't it?

jcm
In reply to Ian Parsons and JohnCoxMysteriously: My bad

I was writing most of the questions in reverse order so the links worked and that was pretty much the last one and it was originally going to be:
An introduction to a troubled limestone E2. A joint effort will help.
which would obviously have been 'Welcome to Hard Times' at Staden Main (next to the classic HVS Joint Effot) however just before posting I decide to change the question. As Ian said, it should have been 'gritstone' rather than limestone to leading to 'Great Expectations' at Hobson Moor.

If I do another of these, I really need someone to proof read it!

Anyway only 3 left...

12 is Run of the Arrow E6, Shelter Stone

> 13. Is this the Winter grade VI gully to be climbed by those who have climbed a neighbouring E5?

> 14. The man behind the famous neighbouring grade VIII would also go to war now for a Peak E4.

> 15. A John Allen Peak gritstone E4, it is perhaps an apt description of an E1 to the left.
Post edited at 18:39
 Ian Parsons 26 Mar 2014

"John's Arete" (E1, and a bit to the left) could certainly be a description of Moon Walk, but sadly not the other way round!
In reply to Ian Parsons: It refers to the E1 to the left of Route 14. These ones will be fairly hard to answer out of order.

I've double checked the three clues for mistakes/typos. I don't think they are much harder than the rest.
 Michael Gordon 26 Mar 2014

14. Kenny Spence? (the VIII being Centurion)
In reply to Michael Gordon:
> 14. Kenny Spence? (the VIII being Centurion)
Sorry, no.
 mav 27 Mar 2014

The neighbouring E5 would be Thor, Cupids Bow or Hard Lines. Struggling to tie any of them to a grade VI gully. Don't know my winter routes.
 Ramblin dave 27 Mar 2014
In reply to mav:

Gully of the Gods?

Is this the Winter grade VI gully to be climbed by those who have climbed a neighbouring E5?

Does the E5 neighbor the Gully or Run of the Arrow?

Does the VIII neighbor the Gully or E5 (or both)?
 mav 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
> (In reply to The Ex-Engineer)
>
> Is this the Winter grade VI gully to be climbed by those who have climbed a neighbouring E5?
Yes - it's linked.
>
> Does the E5 neighboUr the Gully or Run of the Arrow?
Run of the Arrow
>
> Does the VIII neighbour the Gully or E5 (or both)?
The Gully

In reply to mav:
So Thor (The E5) is a Norse god. There is a Gully of the Gods on Beinn Bhan. Next to Gully of the God's is the Godfather. First climbed by Martin Moran and Paul Tattersall.

Anyone know a Peak E4 to do with Martin, Paul, or the Godfather and war?
Post edited at 12:09

> 12. This Cairngorm test piece is no walk in the park and would seem to require that the previous route’s similar neighbour is not correct.

Run of the Arrow

> 13. Is this the Winter grade VI gully to be climbed by those who have climbed the neighbouring E6?

The E5 is Thor and the VI is Gully of the Gods.

> 14. The man behind the famous neighbouring grade VIII would also go to war now for a Peak E4.

The VIII is the Godfather. The E4 is Don.

> 15. A Peak gritstone E4, it is perhaps an apt description of an E1 to the left.

I like it, but the E1 L of Don is Death and Night and Blood. Or perhaps 'I Never Said It Was Any Good'. Hmm.

jcm
 Ramblin dave 27 Mar 2014

Could INSIWAG be a Profit of Doom? Or is that stretching it a bit?
 mav 27 Mar 2014

let's not forget the answer to 15 has to act as a clue for 'Green Gut'.

I like this though. Given the discussion higher up about how the quiz should work, part of the answer is less frequent interventions from the quiz master. We're working on the assumption that the E5 i Thor. It fits, and leads to Gully of the Gods well. But it could be possible to find an answer that fits with Cupids Bow. Left alone, we could end up with several trails, spinning off the incorrect answers above...
In reply to mav:

Doesn't 15 lead to Green Gut just by being put up by John Allen?

jcm
 GeoffRadcliffe 27 Mar 2014

Some observations...
Constipation is a JA E4 that has links to Green Gut.

High Plains Drifter (E4) was ready to go to war and has an E1 to its left: Crystal Clear.

Other war-related E4s: Gladiator, Colonel Bogey, Guns and Drums, Warriors of the Mind.

Other JA E4s that could describe others:
Good Clean Fun, Traverse of the Gritstone Gods, Nectar, Body Popp, Moon Walk, A day the Prom, Scuppered
> Gully of the Gods?

Well done again Dave. Spot on.

> The VIII is the Godfather. The E4 is Don.

Halfway there.

I can't help but think these last few clues have something to do with the Knights Templar and the Holy Grail. The Knights Templar were a non profit organisation who were doomed. Profit of Doom (JA E4).

Holy Grail (Lawrencefield) is an E4 in the peak. There is an E1 to the left: Crystal Clear.

Also Holy Grail is an E5 on Bidean nam Bian where there is a linked VI - Redemption.

Probably just incoherent ramblings, but just in case ...

Anyone?

We're looking for a JA grit E4 which is linked to an E1 to the left of Don, is that right? I can't keep up.

jcm
> Anyone know a Peak E4 to do with Martin, Paul, or the Godfather and war?

You're on the right track. I'm sure someone will make the connection.
The Godfather has a neighbouring VI called Gully of the Gods.
The connection has to be do with God so the JA E4 would be Profit of Doom (except it is now E5, but E4 when it was first done)
Post edited at 17:15

Eh? So Don wasn't right?

jcm
 Ian Parsons 27 Mar 2014

Apocalypse? Nostradamus is to its left, and could be considered a prophet of doom (and other things). But Profit's now generally given E5.
In reply to Ian Parsons: Superb! All done!

In reply to Ian Parsons:

The Godfather was directed by Francis Ford Coppola who also directed Apocalypse Now, hence the limestone E4 Apocalypse at Chee Dale.

The E1 Nostradamus is indeed left of it, giving the JA classic Profit of Doom (IIRC given E4 on the UKC database).
 Ian Parsons 27 Mar 2014
Just to explain, both The Godfather and Apocalypse Now were directed by Francis Ford Coppola - "the man behind".

Edit - beat me to it!
Post edited at 17:23
In reply to Ian Parsons:
I'm lost - what did Apocalypse have to do with Gully of the Gods? And when did we do the limestone E3 at number 1?

jcm

Ah, sorry, missed it - I see that was Great Expectations after all.

I thought Apocalypse was E5 too. Is that not the Allen/Bancroft Chee Tor thing whose top fake has probably flown more people than British Airways?

jcm
Post edited at 17:24
Thank you for playing.

There has been some feedback but any additional thoughts are welcome.

Most pertinently, should I post another set at some point?

Do people like the sequential questions or prefer ones you can guess without the previous answers? Too hard, too easy, about right? Should I confirm answers as they are posted or just once/twice daily?
 Ian Parsons 27 Mar 2014

Hi John

It is - originally given E6 5c,6a if I recall. That was way OTT; the top pitch isn't too bad and the grades are now the other way round. It has no connection with Gully of the Gods, other than via The Godfather.
 Ian Parsons 27 Mar 2014

> Thank you for playing.

No - thank you.

> Most pertinently, should I post another set at some point?

Definitely; this one was a brilliant effort!

As it is Profit not Prophet

Perhaps 15 should have read
15. A Peak gritstone E4 sounds like an apt description of an E1 to the left.
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Well done Ian. The Godfather revelation rekindled the fire!
 jon 27 Mar 2014
In reply to Ian Parsons:

It's alright for you, Ian. Spare a thought for those of us who have to go out climbing day after day...
In reply to Ian Parsons:

I don't even get that connection - they're both films, right? Do they have the same director or something?!

Ex-E; t'was fun, thank you. Since you ask; about the right difficulty, prefer answers confirmed as soon as possible.

Generally think if we're going to have sequential clues (not a bad idea at all) then it's better not to have too-obviously-telegraphed ones in the middle people can guess. But not easy, obviously.

jcm
 Ian Parsons 27 Mar 2014
> I don't even get that connection - they're both films, right? Do they have the same director or something?!

13) Gully of the Gods is a winter VI that might have been climbed by Thor (a god, and an E5 on Shelter Stone).

14) The Godfather is an VIII close to Gully of the Gods; it's also a film, the man behind it being its director, Coppola. Apocalypse Now is also a Coppola film.

My brain doesn't know whether it's coming or going!
Post edited at 18:10
 Ian Parsons 27 Mar 2014

I think it was Tom who made the crucial connections.
 Ian Parsons 27 Mar 2014
In reply to jon:

My sympathy is, of course, boundless. Speaking of boundless - how's the foot?
 Ian Parsons 27 Mar 2014

> I thought Apocalypse was E5 too. Is that not the Allen/Bancroft Chee Tor thing whose top fake has probably flown more people than British Airways?

By my earlier reply I meant that it is indeed that route, not the E5 bit; as far as I remember it dropped straight from E6 to E4, very early in its existence.

Thank you for the feedback. The next set are now up - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=582723

Good luck.
Post edited at 21:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...