UKC

Deep Water Solo Advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Theo22 07 May 2014
Hello Fellow climbers,

I have been climbing for years and hold the SPA award, averaging S/VS. I am really keen to go deep water soloing. I have the ROCKFAX Guide book to deep water, but am calling on your help for specific climbs that match what I am searching for, as I am a newbie to DWS and many of you have a wealth of experience on personal climbs.

I am looking for a route in England (pref south not scotland)which is;

1. extremely juggy, lots of big holds for the hands, so that I can get a good practice before going for harder grades.
2. that is an easy -ish grade, for the above reason.
3. that is slightly overhanging, so that if I mess up i am unlikely to slide down the face/ hit rocks.

4. As my friend is a filmmaker, and wants to make a video about DWS and film me climbing, any locations that are really visually impressive is also really important, I would be happy to go for harder stuff and get wet a few times provided it is a bit juggy if the location looks incredible.

5. Additionally for this reason are there any sites you can think off where a cameraman can stand close by and film without having to climb?

A lot to ask for I know but I realize this is a community with a wealth of knowledge and I value immensely any suggestions.

Thanks!
 jt232 08 May 2014
In reply to Theo22:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/c.php?i=35091

I haven't climbed this myself but it sounds awesome and kind of what you are after!
In reply to jt232:

Pretty tricky to film, that one. I'd go with Mick's suggestion. There aren't a lot of S/VS DWS routes which are both safe and photogenic, for obvious reasons.

jcm
 Kevster 08 May 2014
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I'd go with magical mystery, but keep in mind easy=easy angle=things to hit on the way down. We took a non climbing friend on it, he swam a few sections but did fine with some common sense.
Often what you see above the water isn't far off what's below.

There is also some stuff around Torquay (Hopes nose/meadfoot I believe), there's a few easier and accessible ones towards Portland bill on Portland, and more at dorset.

Some knowledge of tides will help at all these areas.

In reply to Kevster:

Really? I’d have thought anyone who climbs S/VS is going to get wet, probably before actually reaching the start, and definitely at that bit later on where they used to swim. It's one thing being taken along it, but I have the impression the OP plans to be alone.

Plus, while I don’t know much about filming, a lot of it’s out of sight of land. You’d need to hire a boat of some kind to film. Seems like a lot of trouble. Having said that, the location is spectacular, but then the climber isn’t actually very far up. These sea-level traverses are a different genre from true DWS.

Barrel Zawn in Pembroke would be another possibility of course. The setting’s lovely rather than spectacular, perhaps, but there’s some easy routes there and easy to film.
jcm
 Ramblin dave 08 May 2014
In reply to Theo22:

I've not done it, but would Avoid Meeting the Portuguese Man of War at Rhossili be any good? Climb, jump, swim, climb...

Btw, are you the Theo I know from Cambridge?
 Reach>Talent 08 May 2014
In reply to Theo22:

The Maypole at Lulworth:

Depending on how much footage you need I'd have thought there was scope for some nice shots through the cave taken from the beach. The tricky bit will probably give you a few soakings before you work it out
 The Ivanator 08 May 2014

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...