Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - My D Day story

aln - on 07 Jun 2014
Obviously I wasn't there.
My Granda, Michael Duffy, served in France during the 2nd World War. I think he was about 20 years old. He was a motorcycle courier, carrying messages, often under fire. Pretty cool. :)
Like most veterans he didn't speak about his experiences. In the 80's I was a typical loudmouth teenager, railing against them! I remember a day when I was blethering away about war and my Granda shut me up by opening up about his experiences. One story stood out. On an off day from the bike he was hunkered down guarding a road, another Brit on the other side. A German soldier comes wandering down the road, dishevelled, lost, probably from battle. My Granda and the other soldier realise they have to capture the German. My Granda starts getting emotional as he tells me this. The German gets down on his knees begging for mercy, crying for his mum etc. sure he's about to die. My Granda and his mate get him on his feet, take him to their base and give him a smoke. Granda's words "He was just like you and me son"
... not showing 54 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums