UKC

audi a4 tdi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 buzby 28 Oct 2014
going to change out the old banger and I've been looking around for a while for a decent estate car with a view to getting an Octavia.
However I've got an option of getting an Audi A4 tdi estate from my mates dad, its been a one owner and really low miles for the year and just had a cam belt change and has a full audi service history from new. it kind of ticks all the boxes apart from the rear seats not folding totally flat which might be a pain for the overnight sleeping in the back in the winter.
the online reviews seem not to bad but not super either with the running costs being the biggest failing.( im assuming parts are pricey)
it probably wouldn't be the first choice id normally take but its minted and I could get it at a really decent price so im kind of swaying towards it.
Anyone on here got one and could offer some thoughts on it.
 elliptic 28 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

An Audi is an expensive way of buying a VW, whilst a Skoda is a cheap way of buying a VW

Bearing that in mind... which version is it? I have a B6 (52 plate) and the seats do fold flat but it's not as roomy as a Passat or Mondeo say. I also carry bikes a lot and it takes significantly more faffing to get them in than with my old Peugeot estate.

I've put ~80,000 miles on it with no major mechanical disasters but the usual stuff along the way. I don't go to the main dealer though, got a local independent I trust for servicing etc. Main irritations are the electrics are a bit flaky (not helped by leaky sunroof) and an incomprehensible climate control system.

Drives well although the ride is on the harsh side compared with eg. a Mondeo again. The engine is its best feature, flexible and torquey and does 55-60mpg on long trips if you're careful.

sbattams 28 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

Ive got an 03 plate (B6) version. I love it ive done 30k in it and it hasnt missed a beat. ive not tried sleeping in it yet but i load it with canoeing kit and boats and travel all over. costs me around £15 per 100 miles when full of kit.

There is a huge list of common problems and mines had them all but they are only minor. Its passed every MOT apprt from the usual wipers + tyres.

My next car will be either the A6 or A4 for sure.

Steve
 Stroppy 28 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

What year is it? You might be able to get back seats to fold down flat if you take the bench out???

I've recently bought the same, absolutely love it, good reliable car and even better if you can get it at a decent price. Great for weekend (or longer) trips with enough room for 4 people + kit. If you really want something you can sleep in and get loads of kit in then maybe you should think about a van conversion?
Ferret 28 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

Can't comment on the car per se but personally I would put a pretty big premium on a known car with known history vs. anything unknown. Good price and mint from a known respectable source over rule a lot of 'is it as good as' type stuff in my opinion. Better a less than ideal but good value good history car than a 'ticks all boxes but unfortunately last owner seems to have ragged it to death, polished it up and sold it on just ahead of 10 major things all giving their last gasp' type of thing......

Not sure what age you are talking but I've always been worst at buying mid price mid age cars... 4 to 7 or 8ish years old... the ones that are good enough to cost a bit but can have lots about to go wrong, but which are not so worn out that the faults are obvious. The properly old stuff, oddly is easier as for the uninitiated (me) its a bit easier to spot a mint one vs a duffer. So if yours is mid age, provenance is all.

I used to scour the small adds looking for one owner (or one for last umpteen years), old cars with a metal AA or RAC badge on the grill... sure sign of a careful, gentleman owner....
OP buzby 28 Oct 2014
In reply to Ferret:

Hi, thanks for the replies, its an 07 so not exactly new and a bit older than I was looking for, I usually buy about 5 years old and run them till they are dead but the low miles are swaying me a bit as its well below average and any of these cars I can see for sale are high mileage or serious money.
 Mike Conlon 28 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

Low mileage, one owner, Audi serviced, new cam belt - as you say it ticks all of the boxes. I have had an 02 A4 Tdi estate for seven years. It's approaching 250,000 miles from the 100,000 when I bought it. In that time it has had one service, a couple of oil changes and no belts but a new clutch ! Perhaps I have been lucky but I like to think I am a steady driver. I am looking to replace mine and I would love to come across one like the one you are offered except I am looking for one a couple of years younger.
As for sleeping in, I am only 5' 8" but have no trouble at all. There is a slght rise towrds the front seats but that seems to suit my sleeping position. Its a bit of a stoop to get out of the side doors to water the horse, but that is probably true of most estates. The estate door only opens with a key, apparantly faulty servos for the rear door lock is not unusual.
 Y Gribin 28 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

I had an 08 A4 tdi and hated it for two reasons: the ride was far too harsh (a regular Audi complaint). You should really make sure you are happy with it - drive it over some potholes to check! I founding it really 'crashing'.

I also find that the pedals were far more offset than my previous VW, which gave me back ache (made worse by the sculptured seats I had to twist my thighs over). Again, check you're happy with this as it could be 1000miles before you find out.

Eventually I traded it for a Golf which I preferred in almost every way.
OP buzby 28 Oct 2014
In reply to Y Gribin:

cheers , yep the hard ride and offset pedals came up a few times in the online reviews I looked at. going to try it out on a test drive but I doubt he would le me knock a 1000 miles up before I committed. :>)
 Dave Williams 28 Oct 2014
In reply to buzby:

> ... the hard ride and offset pedals ...

The ride is unacceptably rock hard on all S-Line Audi models; ok on smooth roads but truly awful on broken or badly patched/ poorly surfaced roads. SE spec suspension is still very firm, with little roll but is the height of comfort in comparison to S-Line. I used to own an SE A4 Avant but have driven no end of S-Lines. I would never ever choose an S-Line as most of my driving is on Welsh roads with crap surfaces. (Currently own an A6 SE Avant.)

The offset pedals aren't a significant issue IMHO. Noticeable when you first drive, but you quickly adapt.

As others have said, the A4 is more cramped than you expect for its apparent size, particularly for back seat passengers/ boot space. However, it is based on a stretched Golf platform, so we shouldn't be surprised.

Despite expectations/ image, VAG reliability isn't a given in my experience. Our A4 (bought new) never actually broke down, but we had lots of major warranty issues - brakes (continuous issues) and various electronic systems - so much so that we chopped it in after 3 years and bought a new VW. Any better? Not really, we still had some major warranty issues with that as well (ABS, EBD, fuel injectors, springs). So far, so good with the A6 though.

From what you say, the A4 you've got your eye on could well be a very sensible purchase. Good luck!

Dave

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...