UKC

Kingdom of heaven

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gone for good 23 Jan 2015
Orlando Blooms best film by some distance. Only my opinion!
 aln 23 Jan 2015
In reply to Gone for good:

Is he better in that film than he is in the Hobbit?
 The New NickB 23 Jan 2015

I think it is pretty guff, but I am struggling to think of anything else he is in other than Pirates of the Caribbean and Lord of the Rings.

We do share a birthday, although he is younger than me.
Gone for good 24 Jan 2015
In reply to aln:

> Is he better in that film than he is in the Hobbit?

He was fabulous as Legolas but his part in Kingdom of heaven was, in my humble opinion, far wider ranging with a greater depth of characterisation. As Legolas he was surrounded by the history of the trilogy. In KoH he wasn't afforded that luxury. Anyway, as a film the KoH was every bit as spectacular as LotR but didn't seem to get the credit it deserved.
 Gawyllie 24 Jan 2015

The Directors cut is well worth watching also. much improved on the original
 felt 24 Jan 2015
In reply to punj:

Why isn't the director's cut the cut given that the director is the director?
 Cú Chullain 26 Jan 2015

A great film let down by the woeful miscasting of Bloom, the man has no presence or gravity. The rest of the cast, Neeson, Siddig, Gleeson, Norton, Thewlis, Irons, Massoud and Green all pull their weight. His 'rousing' speech on the battlements of Jerusalem is just embarrassing. The Directors cut is much better then the cinema release, more time for Micheal Sheen to shine.
 mbh 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I've only seen the cinema release, but it grows on me with every viewing, and I liked it the first time. Scott makes some terrible films (Prometheus worst among them, that I have seen) and some great ones, and this is among the latter. Is there a better evocation of that era? I like Bloom in it too. For me, he does carry off the part. The regard for him from his lieutenants is believable, and his final making of terms with Saladin outside the walls of Jerusalem is very moving, although Saladin has the best line "I am not those men!" I haven't quite got to Singalonga KoH, as I have with Gladiator, but I am getting there.

That first skirmish in the woods is a wonderful piece of cinema, although when it starts I am always wondering how the father-son relationship would survive Neeson having given that big German guy the go-ahead, just before, to clash swords with Bloom. You wouldn't thank him for it, would you?

Cú Chullain 26 Jan 2015
In reply to mbh:

I enjoyed the initial release very much, great visuals and very atmospheric, just thought Bloom was miscast, while not completely terrible he is the definite weak link in the cast.

Always thought the German dude looked like Jerry Flannery the ex Irish international. Also, in that skirmish you will notice a future Jamie Lanister as the village sheriff sent to arrest Balian

Do get hold of that Directors cut, it is only about half an hour longer but gives flesh to a few more characters (Eve Green and Michael SHeen especially) but also covers a few plot holes i.e. how come Balian, a village blacksmith was such a skilled siege engineer and swordsman.
Removed User 26 Jan 2015
I thought Saladin and Imad ad-Din (Saladin's chancellor - the one who tells Balian "Your quality will be known among your enemies before ever you meet them, my friend") really made that movie. History says Saladin in particular was as honorable as depicted which was nice to see, especially since it was a hollywood creation. I figured it'd be more Americanized.

As I recall the director got a lot of shit because the Christians didn't come across as the good guys and the Muslims "won".

edit: spleling
Post edited at 14:10
 Cú Chullain 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Removed User:

It was filmed in a sympathetic context alright. That was Siddig chance to break out from his Star Trek typecasting and I thought he succeeded but he did not get many offers after that film which is a shame.

I am surprised that whole period has not been given the big budget HBO series treatment, it has it all, politics, scheming, clash of religions, dynastic feuds, big kick ass battles, flawed and brilliant generals, charismatic leaders and tyrants.
 mbh 26 Jan 2015
In reply to Cú Chullain:

I will get it. I thought of those plot holes as back story, that the film didn't have time to tell, but clearly Balian got those
skills from somewhere. He was also a good water engineer. It would be interesting to see that story filled in.

Alfred Duggan's novels of this era are the best I have read (Knight with Armour, Count Bohemund etc) for a believable evocation of the first crusade, that Balian refers to in that final meeting with Saladin, and the century or two of occupation that followed.
 Cú Chullain 26 Jan 2015
In reply to mbh:

Will look out for those. All my reading for that era has been factual rather then fiction!
 UKC Forums 26 Jan 2015
This thread was started in the OFF BELAY forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Culture Bunker
A forum dedicated to reviews and discussion of media and the arts. Just read a book? Why not share it by writing a review. Love music? Want to critique the latest releases? The Culture Bunker is the place. Seen a play or a film? Let's hear about it. This is the place to come if you are looking for a book, album or film recommendation.

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...