UKC

Aurora Tonight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Arkle 17 Mar 2015
Aurora alert for tonight.

"A coronal mass ejection (CME) arrived at Earth this morning (04:46 UT) sparking a geomagnetic storm. Shortly after auroral displays were seen across North America and New Zealand.

This storm is ongoing and if this continues for the next few hours there is an increased chance of seeing the aurora on the evening of the 17-18th March.

In the UK, those in Scotland, northern England and Northern Ireland will have the best chances - if skies are clear and the current level of activity continues."
 Blackmud 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Skies most certainly not clear in the Spey valley at the moment.

Damn and blast.
 coinneach 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Blackmud:

Or the North Pennines
 RyanOsborne 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Skies are forecast to clear later over Manchester, might head out for a drive to somewhere dark.
 Sl@te Head 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Just seen them on Anglesey
 ThunderCat 17 Mar 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> Skies are forecast to clear later over Manchester, might head out for a drive to somewhere dark.

Reckon the Goyt valley might be a good bet?
Lusk 17 Mar 2015
In reply to ThunderCat:

Cat & Fiddle surely, can have a couple as well!
 Dave 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:
Just been watching them from my back garden.... in Finland. Strongest display I've seen in over 20 years living here, from the northern horizon to right overhead and even in the southern sky and clearly visible even from under bright street lights. Luckily its completely cloudless and a nice clear atmosphere. Quietened down a bit now though.

Sl@te Head 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Sl@te Head:

cant see them here, because of keighley

interesting that it can ruin the view at night as well as during the day.

cheers
gregor
 wercat 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Cloudy to the North in the Eden Valley sadly - clear to the South. Difficult to make them out here anyway because of massive light pollution from Penrith, Center Parcs and Kirby Thore
 DaveHK 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Bloody haar in Inverness and cloud forecast for the day of the eclipse too.
 joan cooper 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Clear on Skye but not much show yet
 Bulls Crack 17 Mar 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Could be because they're not there anyway - you can't blame Keighley for everything!

I couldn't see them from Widdop just now -
 Colin Moody 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Watched them on Mull for a while. Nice night, plenty of stars and a couple of waders calling.
 Mike Lates 17 Mar 2015
In reply to joan cooper:

It peaked at about 8pm on Skye I believe. Cloudy in Broadford
 sbc_10 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Just returned from the moors above Pateley bridge. They were visible. An arc of light with occaisonal vertical strands. No colours to the eye, but the camera brought them out.
 BStar 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Thanks for the tip off, managed to see a very faint show at south stack on Anglesey. Not much colour to the naked eye but the vertical bands made it recognisable. It was quite early on when I watched, about 7.30 to 8.30.
 Bob 18 Mar 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

Looked out at 9pm and 10pm but couldn't see anything (we're just south of Skipton) but we are well down a south facing slope so they could have been closer to the horizon. There were clear skies to the north so that wasn't an issue.

We have seen the Aurora from here, about ten or eleven years ago there was a really spectacular display - strongly coloured and high in the sky.
 sbc_10 18 Mar 2015
 buffalo606 18 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Any idea where I can find a forecast for tonight for central Scotland? It's very clear at the mo.
 skog 18 Mar 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

Looks like there's a decent chance:

http://www.aurora-service.eu/aurora-forecast/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...