UKC

Unknown quarry in Lancashire (Ottergear quarry?)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 radddogg 02 Sep 2015
I stumbled on this Ottergear quarry today. It was apparently quarried to provide stone for the adjacent extravagant aquaduct - Ottergear bridge which was built to carry water pipe over the stream below.

It's a bit chossy at the top but there seem to be a handful of decent routes. I can't find any details of any ascents but there are two belay stakes, evidence of climbing, dry tooling and a (very old) red painted arrow pointing out the most obvious route.

Anyone have any details on this quarry? Route list? What if a route list has never been created and the routes never been claimed? I soloed a D graded arête, do I get to bag it as a first ascent?
 steveriley 02 Sep 2015
In reply to radddogg:

I don't even know what prompted me to click on your link, but I've climbed there back when I was in school in the 80s! I seem to remember a feisty steep wall about 5c? We did a bit on the bridge too. Some bits and pieces of bouldering up the hill at Baines Crag off the Littledale Rd and Windy Clough.
OP radddogg 02 Sep 2015
In reply to SteveRi:
Yeah that's the main route on the slightly overhanging wall. At a glance I put it about HVS or E1.

So what is the route called? First ascencionist? How do you even go about officially registering a first ascent and with whom?
Post edited at 22:54
 Lankyman 03 Sep 2015
In reply to radddogg:

This is the place http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1024179

I'm pretty sure someone asked about this on UKC a few years ago but I can't find the thread. I can't recall anything being recorded but stuff has been climbed before. Perhaps you ought to garden it up and record the details - a new Lancashire guide will appear one day.
 Matt_b 03 Sep 2015
In reply to radddogg:

I think it is safe to say you would be doing first *recorded* ascents here, with previous ascensionists not deeming it worthy of note. Have you checked out Millhead Quarry in Carnforth? This might be right up your street....
 Bulls Crack 03 Sep 2015
In reply to radddogg:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1024179

Ahh Lancashire.....enjoy!
OP radddogg 03 Sep 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

Yesterday the sun was out and the rock was in very good condition, not much in the way of vegetation at all really

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...