UKC

Cheddar Gorge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Danm79 26 Sep 2015
Hi folks

Looking for a bit of info on the above please. I've been taking my 5 year old lad to the Roaches and Stanage to do give him a taste of climbing and the outdoors. We've been doing some pleasant little scrambles up descent routes and what have you, using the ropes. He absolutely loves it and so I thought I'd take him somewhere new.

Is Cheddar Gorge suitable for this kind of thing? I gather the access arrangements aren't quite as straight forward as in the Peak?

Thanks for any advice.
 Bobling 27 Sep 2015
In reply to Danm79:

See you've not had a reply to this so I'll bite. I've been to Cheddar a few times and I would say it's not the best place to go for the following reasons:

1) Reputation for looseness and vegetation
2) Always cold!
3) Steep approaches for the most part
4) Polish and general steepness of the rock
5) Most easy routes are multipitch
6) It's a big place and with the complex access issues you'd need to take a trip by yourself to suss it out else you'll end up spending a good amount of time trying to work out what's where while an excited five year old does a tigger impression beside you.

Perhaps this post will prompt someone who knows it better than me to come along and tell me this is rubbish and actually routes/areas XYZ would be perfect for you in which case result!

These threads may have some useful suggestions for you though? http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=619710 & http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=590858

In reply to Danm79: Why not try Wintour's Leap? Walking in via the quarry and out up the usual descent route would give you an adventurous day for a 5-year old with a big cliff feel.

T.

OP Danm79 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Danm79:

Thanks very much both - just the kind of info I was looking for.
 The Ivanator 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Danm79:
Cheddar Gorge itself is not the most kid friendly climbing venue.
However, nearby Ubley Warren Rocks (mentioned in one of the threads linked above) is a good choice with kids - it is shady though, so best on a warm day. There are now more than the 5 lines with bolts at the top mentioned in the UKC crag notes (at least 10 now in the Trench and Pit sections), bolts easily soloed up to or can be reached from over the top in most places to set top ropes, short routes mostly 5 - 6m, the bolted lines probably vary between Mod and HS in standard. I took my 3 year old there this summer and he managed a couple of the easiest routes OK.
It gets occasional use by outdoor groups (hence the bolted Lower Offs) but usually you'll find it deserted, very pretty area close to Cheddar Gorge, outside the limestone trench are good picnic spots and room to run about for kids.
Would also second the "Easy Way Down" at Wintour's Leap for a larger scale adventure (best done up rather than down, having some previous familiarity with the Crag helps with locating the start), a good stepping stone to bigger adventures in North Wales or the Lakes.
 andrewmc 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Danm79:
I reckon there might be some easy scrambling stuff, albeit pretty vegetated-ledge based, on the North side (the side with the single pitch sport climbs). This is based on my recollection of trying to find somewhere to go for a wee and just slowly ascending that side of the gorge...
Post edited at 21:27
 Mark Kemball 28 Sep 2015
In reply to Danm79:

Another point, for Cheddar, you need 3rd party insurance (comes with BMC membership) to climb. (At least on the part not owned by the national trust.)
OP Danm79 29 Sep 2015
In reply to Mark Kemball:

Cheers gents, plenty for us to be getting on with there.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
 The Ivanator 20 Oct 2015
OP Danm79 21 Oct 2015
In reply to The Ivanator:

Cheers Ivan - looks desirable.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...