UKC

2015 - how was it for you?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alyson 22 Dec 2015
I've had a fairly difficult year for various reasons, but this does have the advantage of making last Christmas seem a long time ago. Sometimes when everything is just ticking along, time can fly past.

My grandma died suddenly, early in the year, then 6 months were dedicated to a ludicrously stressful house move saga and the remainder to the chaos of doing up the new place. However, I love my new home and it feels like progress to be here. I've only climbed sporadically, but I've done plenty of biking and I've started to learn carpentry as a new hobby.

How was the year for you?
 The New NickB 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Generally very good.

Relationship and home life couldn't be better, although we could have done without being burgled at the end of November.

Work has had its challenges, but I've survived the latest round of cuts and I still enjoy significant parts of the job.

I've not climbed much, but amongst other things, I've had a wonderful week in Skye. Holiday wise, we had a great few days in Barcelona and a very enjoyable few days in Anglesea with friends.

Running wise, I've not raced much, but managed 2nd place in my club championship and was made club captain, which was flattering. Seem to have been struggling for fitness and full of colds since then.

I also turned 40 in January and had a great celebration with friends and family.
 Axel Smeets 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:
Work: Fine
Relationship: Fine
Finances: Fine
Health: Fine
Climbing: Kili on 27th Dec with wife then Cho Oyu booked for the spring with my regular climbing buddy.
Holidays: Lots, and all great
Family Deaths: one (wife's uncle at 56)
Areas for concern: Drink a little too much and would like to see friends a little more often (they are all busy with kids)
Overall 9/10: another one like 2015 will do nicely for 2016. When it goes tits up, I'll look back and remember this period of my life with fond memories.
Post edited at 12:23
In reply to Alyson:

Great year! Managed to get out on climbing trips to Sudan and Yosemite, cycled all over the UK and recently marked a full year living with my wonderful lady!

Next year will be more reserved as we try and get the house fixed up and sold but feel like I got my fun in nicely in 2015
 1step2far 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Professionally amazing.

Personally abysmal.

I think the good out weights the bad... just.
 pog100 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Great first full year of retirement and a move to a lovely house in Sheffield. Loads of travel and a fair amount of climbing. One kid got engaged to a lovely girl, the other is writing his PhD. Getting on well with wife, bar a certain amount of bickering due to 24/7 proximity.

All in all, hard not to be a smug bastard...
 fmck 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

I lost 5 1/2 stone this year, got the old me back so climbing again as well as hill running.
 Babika 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Quite a lot of hopeless internet dating until I changed sites in October and hey presto! love is blossoming at last.
Not a climber, but you can't have everything

2015 has been good
 Mooncat 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

I think my life is becoming too much like my (civil service) job, wading through a pool of bland mediocrity, everything's ok but I don't put myself in a position for much excitement other than the odd blast on my motorbikes.
On the plus side, following my knee replacement I've managed to lose a stone and a half and I've started playing competitive table tennis again if that is a good thing.
 Jon Stewart 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Interesting year. I've achieved a lot on paper, becoming qualified to do the job I've spent years and tens of thousands training for, now I'm actually doing it for real and getting paid. But after all that, it's a total grind, and I hate going to work. I had intended to be working part-time, enjoying what I did. Instead, I'm working full-time, 10h shifts, totally exhausted, being treated like crap. Quite a spectacular failure, you could say. I'm not normally an optimistic person, but that'll teach me a lesson, won't it?

It was however worth it, because in mu old job I was staring into the abyss: there was no future. In this one, in time, I can work where I want, when I want, and the actual job (rather than the peripheral but very intrusive bullshit) is fun and meaningful.

It was also a year of not being on any internet dating sites, which has relieved me from another dreary, meaningless duty.

Climbing-wise: pathetic.

Merry Christmas!
 hokkyokusei 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

The start of the year, which thankfully seems to be a long time ago now, was pretty traumatic.

A five year romantic relationship ended.

My actual wife (who I haven't lived with for years) turned back to drink, wrote off her car (again) and had a complete melt down during a week long binge. She finally used up all the patience of everyone around her and turned to me for help having, at one point, forgotten that we have been seperated for years and I ended up sitting with her for three days while she sobered up, which was not pleasant. But, it turned out to have been a blessing, she got on the wagon and decided that I wasn't the devil incarnate after all, agreed to sell the house where we had lived together, which was about to be repossesed anyway, and to get divorced. Phew.

Since then, I've met someone new, am on friendly terms with the soon-to-be-ex-mrs and finally feel financially secure for the first time in years.

I didn't get to go climbing at all, and didn't do much hiking or camping, but I ran further than I ever have before, got new 10k & half marathon PBs and stayed largely injury free.
 Hat Dude 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Pretty ordinary year in most respects, except that in November 2014 my daughter had her first child & our first grandchild so we've had a fascinating year seeing him grow from a tiny baby into great little toddler.
 cfer 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Really good year for me.

Passed all the climbing qualifications I sat, plus some other outdoor related ones.
Became ADC activities for my scout district.
Chosen to lead an expedition to Nepal next year
Have my daughter moving in
Relationship going great
New job which I love
Signed up for a MSc in mathematics for next year

Hope 2016 is as good as this
 Dax H 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

On balance pretty crap to be honest.
Started with me having a low speed off on my bike over Christmas 2014 that is still causing pain in my shoulder.
My business partner has parkinsons and we spent 3 years training his replacement (finishing in April 2016) who then decide our industry wasn't for him and changed careers in July thus year.
August my wife fell ill and spent all September in hospital and only got the drains removed a few weeks back. Because she got so rundown and apparently she was knocking on deaths door she went from being pre diabetic to type one insulin dependent in a few days.
September my closest friend was wiped out going to work by a guy in a car on the wrong side of the road.
November my other Co Director had a mental breakdown due to a combination of work stress and his father is terminal so I'm working silly hours to take as much off him as I can but I'm getting close to breaking.
Finally to cap it all off the last week in November my wife took our cat to the vet and £740 later we had a diagnosis of terminal cancer with a max of 3 months to live. Seeing him run round the house and jump up for a fuss is heart breaking but no matter how hard it is on us I won't have him put down until he starts to suffer.

All in all one of the worse years of our lives.
On the plus side though the wife is alive and well and has full kidney function back and it's things like that you need to cling to.

Oh and we got a bunny rabbit today as well. Anyday that involves a bunny rabbit is a good day.
Removed User 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

All tickety-boo here.
 ianstevens 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:
Excellent, sorry.

"Work": published my first proper paper, and can actually see the end of my PhD. Went to Switzerland twice and finally made it to the Arctic under the ruse that is fieldwork.
Climbing: Pushed into E5 and V, had great trips to Scotland and the Alps.
Running: Smashed my PBs at every distance from 5k-HM, and training is looking good for my first ultra next year.
Relationship: still non-existent, couldn't care less.
Plus no injuries or deaths.
Post edited at 17:26
In reply to Alyson:

Feels pretty shit to me, but other stories here put it into perspective...
OP Alyson 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Dax H:

Your 2015 sounds a similar magnitude of awfulness to my 2011. Jeez, that year could just do one as far as I was concerned. This year's had its trials but nothing in comparison to that heap of womblepoo.
 wbo 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson: Absolutely fantastic , and one of the best years of my life. And that's despite several months of effective unemployment at the start of the year and a lot of grief separating house ownership from my ex-wife.

Lots of mountaineering with the right person helps

FactorXXX 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Still living in Yate...
 SenzuBean 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

I've had a good year.
Work has been really good, and with a frankly astonishing amount of freedom, although I suspect my current job will be gone in 1-2 months (so it's a 2016 problem ). I've managed to get some really cool stuff done, and am really happy with my performance (although my ability to focus could be improved...).
Love life has been good - been living with my partner for our first year together in a lovely little cottage, and have really been enjoying it. We've had some ups and downs, and I'm not really what our future will be - so I'm just trying to enjoy our relationship for what it is.
Managed to get a load of trad climbing and hill walking in, take my SPA and ML training, and am very proud of myself for just getting out there and getting the experience. I've had 2 injuries which I seem to have almost recovered from both of - really amazing how an injury can make such a change to your mood, lots of new found respect for all people with injuries more severe than my pansy ones.
I quit eating chicken meat earlier in the year (quit pork the year before), and have now quit milk chocolate (for the milk), and am making plans to be dairy free by early next year (need to empty the fridge of existing dairy products) - well on the way to becoming mostly vegan.
I have been learning Spanish for a few weeks as well in preparation for a yearlong trip of a lifetime in a few years time to Chile/Argentina - so I'm very happy I finally started learning Spanish and can hopefully be fluent by the time I try to get the trip started.
I didn't manage to do anything significant with my big ideas however, so hopefully next year I'll manage to make a start.
andymac 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:
It went past in a flash.indeed ,every year seems to get consecutively quicker.

I was working in the same room ,in the same house ,today (hanging paintings) as I was a few days before Christmas last year.when I was plasterboarding it.

I'm not that slow a joiner. Job happens in fits and starts.

I didn't get round to becoming an all singing ,all dancing, fell runner in 2015. Hopefully maybe in 2016.

Onwards.
Post edited at 19:00
 Flinticus 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

An average year (which is a good year).

Got some walking & scrambling goals: Forcan Ridge, South Glen Shiel ridge (both with perfect wild camps). A great bothy & walking trip to Coire Fionnaraich and another in the Cairngorm.

First outdoor sport climbing (though not much at all thanks to weather and life)

A few excellent gigs: Low, Blanck Mass, Sleaford Mods, Mogwai, Swans, Pallbearer, Hookworms and Godspeed.

Learned how to sharpen an ace.

Carried my aunt's coffin and lowered her into the ground. She had stepped in to help when we were kids after my mother died. Lost another uncle, a mythical figure who lived in New Zealand.

Have gained 9 lb weight but not around the waist. Getting slowly stronger. But got a rotator cuff injury in August and it's only recently 98% healed, but didn't stop me climbing for too long.

My dog is still alive though I think this is his last Christmas. Not actually looking forward.
 Dave the Rave 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

It's not over until the fat lady comes in for a snog at 00.00 1st jan 2016.
OP Alyson 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

It is if your only plans between now and then involve eating.
 Dave the Rave 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

> It is if your only plans between now and then involve eating.

Nope. You could win a lot of money and be able to plan the trip of a lifetime, or save a life.
Or, someone might die in your circle ?
 Bulls Crack 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Got married
Climbed better than I've done for 25 years
Mother in law has been ill and has dementia but is still with us
And a Kurdish man set fire to my ears
 Alan M 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

> How was the year for you?

For me a year of regression not progression.
 Jim Fraser 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:
Nearly every wave energy company in the country is shut, the oil price is about two and tanner, the Tories are in power at Westminster, the SNP are have completely run out of ideas at Holyrood, the banking industry is still useless, ARCC is moving to Fareham, ISIS has given domestic abuse a new popularity across the world, Nigel Farage is still alive, and Bristow still haven't got their AW189 SAR sorted.

To cheer myself up I have new ski boots, a bottle of Talisker and two boxes of grenades. Calm down, calm down: they are smoke grenades. (Possibly coming to a Helicopter Landing Site near you in months to come.)

## "Who needs friends when you can have snow."##

No, that's about something else isn't it.
Post edited at 22:35
 olddirtydoggy 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Amazing. My body is performing well, my climbing has jumped a grade and we got out a lot this year, even night cragging. Lighting up the crags with a bright lantern hanging from a tent pole with a bbq at the bottom was a highlight, especially just after the sky turned red at golden hour.
A week scrambling and climbing in Skye and a failed Cuillin attempt was wonderful.
A trip to the Cairngorms was not bad but the hike in the lakes on the way home was better.

Not happy about my van getting stolen but the insurance paying out a stupidly high amount of money for it left me confused and very happy. Using the money to get a better van for less than I paid for the previous one left me very up, lets hope they nick it again in a couple of years (no, I didn't arrange the theft). Business has boomed this year opening doors to bigger ideas. Next year has 2 holidays booked and a week at the Glenmore Lodge winter climbing. Life is an epic!
 gethin_allen 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

A bit rubbish really.
Finished one job when the promised contract renewal didn't appear and spent 3 months looking for jobs before ending up with a 12 month contract and a significant pay cut.
Split up with the girlfriend of 18 months at a friend's wedding in June.
Still nowhere near finishing the renovations on the house so no closer to being able to let it out or sell it for a reasonable price if I need to move with work when my contract expires.
I've climbed about 10 routes all year and my only half respectable athletic performance/target achieved for the year was a 107 mile bike ride.
I've done so little climbing that the T-shirt my sister bought me last year from australia which was too small around the chest and shoulders at the time now fits me.
On a more optimistic note for the new year; my new job, although relatively poorly paid and short term is with a friendly and productive team and my boss is very enthusiastic about my project. This is very different from my old job.
 birdie num num 22 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

I don't want to speak too soon, but 2015 has been bittersweet. I'm still alive, but I haven't yet won big on the lotto. Petrol has come down, but the price of a Big Mac has remained steady.

caradoc 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson: Climbingwise not bad, finally ticked the Grand Combin. Otherwise the worst year of my life, wife of 27 years, 35 years together left and started a traumatic divorce.

Welsh Kate 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

I hit my half century, was diagnosed with serious arthritis in my neck, am watching my mother deteriorate in a horrible way from dementia.

Both my jobs (the paid one and the voluntary one) are going amazingly well and I'm enjoying the paid one more than I have for years. I've discovered sea kayaking - this is better for me than for my bank account. I haven't really climbed this year.
OP Alyson 23 Dec 2015
In reply to fmck:

> I lost 5 1/2 stone this year, got the old me back so climbing again as well as hill running.

Well done! A huge achievement and one with so many benefits. It must have taken some real commitment.
In reply to Alyson:

Hit 55 this year, still climbing with Mrs Paul_in_Sheffield 4 or 5 times a week. Quit alcohol and meat and dropped a stone and a half, got back into reasonable bouldering and sports grades again.
I decided to step off climbing the greasy pole of University Exec and took a research chair. Pulled in some big research grants in low carbon technology, and best of all a collaboration with some medics from Nottingham to improve outcomes for long term Dialysis patients. Took a 40k drop in salary but couldn't be happier.
 Hat Dude 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> It's not over until the fat lady comes in for a snog at 00.00 1st jan 2016.

Well if you will keep inviting the Num Nums round for New Years Eve!!!!
 Timmd 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:
Started a Forest School course in the spring, went to the funeral of a surrogate relative in the summer who knew my mum, then had a wobble and got an extension, have nearly finished my work & should be done by New Year. That's it pretty much, other than doing work on my house.

Has been a year where I've had to find resilience, but that's no bad thing in the long term (it will likely be needed again), am hoping next year can be the start of a 'phase of fun', where I've more time to do stuff and can find work doing something cool.
Post edited at 10:07
 Trevers 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Life has been more interesting and positive than it has been for many years. I'm ending the year feeling way more confident.

Had some amazing climbing adventures although being scuppered by the weather has been a recurring theme. I can think of 2 trips where the weather didn't screw us over.

Worried about how society and the world seems to be becoming a more dangerous and less understanding place.
 JohnnyW 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

After second redundancy in 8 years, decided to finally go it alone as a freelance ML.

The objective was to earn enough to break even on our family lifestyle, never easy working in the outdoors.

So far have achieved it, so very pleased, and 2016 is looking nicely booked up, (as long as we get some snow!).

At 52, probably as fit as I have ever been, and definitely more healthy due to lack of stress from management roles of the past.

Still drink too much, but hey ho
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 23 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Became a pensioner which is really depressing but other than that, a very pleasant and successful year.

Climbed 500+ routes, spent time in some great places (Kalymnos/Ireland/Ariege/Lofoten/Sweden) - in fact only spent 5 weeks in the UK! Stayed healthy and fairly fit (for me), saw Eastern Grit published.

Drank too much - hey ho!

Chris
 Liamhutch89 24 Dec 2015
Had a healthy baby girl, Hallie one month ago.

Took up climbing at the beginning of the year and have progressed from V1 to V5/6 (and similar for sport and trad)

Climbing filled something that was lacking in my life, it gave me focus and drive on something outside of work and solved mild depression.

Completed the second year of my geophysics degree with a 2.1 after returning to university as a mature student (i'm 26).

Took a holiday in Thailand and Vietnam for 3 months in the summer.

Bought a triumph street triple motorcycle.

Very good year for which I am very grateful!
Rigid Raider 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:
Fairly routine year really, emotionally and physically unfulfilling thanks to a stable but unexciting marrige to the woman with whom I happen to share the house. I seem to have come through a period of introspective depression that affected me during the later part of 2014 and early this year. Some great road cycling with my regular buddy, an interesting and characterful chap my own age and my son aged 16 who is becoming a pretty fast climber and sprinter but lacks stamina. Good at work with some great business trips to Africa including Cameroon for the first time. I'm lucky to work for a profitable, well-managed and successful company with a boss who leaves me to get on with running my sales territory and agents with zero interference. Got a new company car in June with DSG, which I'm still enjoying. No major disasters except that the MIL is staying while she undergoes chemo but years of export travel have taught me the patience of a saint.
Post edited at 10:35
 BStar 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Trevers:

Only 2 trips where the weather didn't screw us over?! Here's a list of all your good weather trips this year

- Winter Weekend in North Wales x 2
- Peak District weekend (Froggart)
- Tryfan East face weekend
- Gower Weekend
- Alps outside of Switzerland
- All the day trips to Symonds Yat / Avon Gorge / Wintours Leap / Shorn Cliff/ Winterbourne Down :P

I think you've had a pretty good year for climbing mate, be more positive
 marsbar 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:
Up and down. Better at the moment. Too many times told off at work. Death of a stranger at the side of the road was unpleasant. Some great kayaking
and got to meet and paddle with a hero of mine
Http://www.cackletv.com/about/the-cackle-team/justine-curgenven/

Finally got a little camper van, only for it to be written off when some @#$* accelerated into me. However survived the experience with only minor injury so feel pleased to be alive. Shoulder much better than 2014.

Could be worse. Hope 2016 is better.
Post edited at 13:22
 hokkyokusei 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Dax H:

To clarify, the like is for the fact that your wife is alive, and for the bunny rabbit
 Skyfall 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Some similarities to your own. My dad died a bit over a year ago and then moved house after an 8 month buying process which was quite stressful, followed by yet more stress with the house, but it's finally feeling like home and is in a lovely (if temporarily muddy) spot. The business has been going pretty well but too busy at times really. Spend a little too much time juggling between various relatives at weekends. Started off quite well climbing wise and had a rare great week in the Lakes, finally ticking eliminate A plus other great classics, before tearing ligaments in my knee which put me out for most of the rest of the year. Then rain...
Post edited at 13:57
 doz 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Winter wasnae great...three months seriously depressed...mainly spent hiding under the duvet running from my demons...forced myself back into climbing...did a lot of soloing, contemplated jumping off things, fortunately didn't...
Spring...began picking up the pieces from my business, worked like a dog
Summer...started falling in love with life all over...two brilliant weeks with my kids...worked like a dog
Late Summer...finally pulled off the Old Man of Hoy....big daytrip for an ageing technically challenged climber!
Autumn..worked like a dog
Early winter...worked like a dog...got it all back on track...work sorted for next year so having two months Winter sabbatical to make up for the last one
Love this crazy life and all you crazy people in it....enjoy 2016 whatever shape it takes
Peace and happiness!
 didntcomelast 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:
Year started out rather well. Turned 50 and went skiing for the first time and enjoyed the experience. Looked forward to retirement at the end of the year...
Then it all went rapidly downhill. My gorgeous wife was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time and summer holidays were cancelled to allow surgery and recovery. Thankfully she is doing well now.
My eldest daughter came back from a years world travels also with a lump in her breast so had to endure a stressful wait for results of tests which fortunately was negative.
My youngest daughter then had to go into hospital to have her tonsils removed to prevent her choking on them ever time she lay down. Having tonsils out at 19 is not pleasant.
One of my best mates, who is a fit as a loopy dog suffered a heart attack and now can hardly break into a sweat without chest pains. He's had one stent fitted but needs another two. Trouble is we were supposed to be going to Nepal in spring, he has been told that's not going to happen.
I personally had to go sick from work to cope with looking after my family and stop myself from cracking up under the strain. The thought of being out of work for the first time in 30yrs very quickly went from exciting to worrying especially as every CV I have submitted so far has met with no response.
Climbing wise I have only managed to get outside a couple of times this year but both have been good. Indoors I'm fairly happy with being a solid 6a lead climber.
I will be happy to put 2015 behind me.
 Rob Exile Ward 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson: Work has been a total PITA for reasons completely out of my control. Left quite a few things a bit frazzled TBH; here's hoping for less work and rather more fun next year.

On the other hand, I became a grandad and that's pretty much an unalloyed joy.

Timmd 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:
My year's been a frazzled one, didn't manage to buy the Rataffia (sp) biscuits for the Xmas trifle or buy a tree for my home, have been either busy or knackered. It's all towards a good aim though, so I'm stoical about it, and can make it a New Year trifle instead which will help brighten January.

Am starting to understand what life was like for my parents when they had to juggle a lot in life.
Post edited at 18:39
In reply to Alyson:

Became a grandad, though sadly being 200 miles away dont get to see her as often as we'd like. Bought a Time Trial bike, Beat my 'vets' standard for 10 and 25 miles. Still working 3 years past official retirement age - got a better bonus this year than last year ( I work in engineering not banking before anyone gets any ideas).
In reply to Alyson:

Up and down but ended better than I can describe.
 Graham 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Pretty shitty for me - first half was okay, then I broke my knee (waiting for surgery in the new year), my woman's threatening to leave and work's not going well. Here's to a better 2016!
 Yanis Nayu 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Sorry to hear about your grandma.
OP Alyson 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Thank you. It was one of those which was shocking for us, but swift and painless for her - with no ill health leading up to it. In retrospect you can appreciate those things but at the time I was reeling.

How would you sum up your year? Any goals for 2016?
 squarepeg 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Lousy up till November, then got a job, albeit low pay. Could be worse I suppose!
 Yanis Nayu 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

A loved one passing away is hard however it happens I reckon.

Family have all been well, daughter's doing ok at school and is really happy with great friends who, much to my and her surprise, think I'm cool.

Work has been pretty good, still got a job and I've had two occasions this year to do the hardest aspect of my job and acquitted myself well, which was satisfying. We had a new girl start in June and we've had a really good laugh, which for me is very important.

Didn't climb much, but had a couple of nice days out with a good mate. I started running again, which has been in equal measure fantastic and depressingly frustrating. I was inspired by the BBC art programme to have a go at painting, and have surprised myself at how not completely shit I am. Currently trying to get good at drawing portraits, which is hard but oddly addictive. I haven't progressed my Russian much, but I had an awesome trip to Moscow and Minsk and had great experiences and met some incredible people. I did a load of yoga early in the year and that has helped me loads with other things.

As for 2016, I'm not much of a target sort of person, but if pushed, as I sit here now, I would say I want to get proficient at drawing portraits, run as close as I can to a 5 minute mile (but to run regularly without injury would do tbh), keep my job and maintain the good friendships I have. And have tea and hobnobs with UKC's finest contributor.

Have a lovely Christmas and New Year. Love and best wishes to you and yours.

TobyA 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

First full year living in the UK since 2000. Qualified as a teacher in June, having got a job (to start in September) in May - all a relief. Enjoyable long summer, lots of climbing, exploring the Peak District, quick visit back to Finland to see friends and family there. Started teaching in September, completely exhausted now after the first term! Too much working until 12 or 1 am, too many weekends working. But c'est la vie, people say if you make through the first year it gets a bit easier in the second. Kids seem quite happy in their schools, missus got a job in the same profession here as she did in Finland, in the spring so that's all OK. Need to achieve more at the weekends, both me climbing or similar, and family activities come 2016!

Merry Christmas everyone.
 BusyLizzie 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

An interesting year, now I look back on it, with a lot of blessings but not entirely easy. New job: much-wanted and just right for me, but in many ways a difficult transition. My mother moved into residential care, we sold her house, she has gone a long way downhill mentally and physically.

I think climbing has kept me sane. Indoors, I've got better. I was introduced to winter climbing last winter, which was amazing. Outdoors about once a month; Tower Ridge was perhaps the highlight, with Commando Ridge a close second. I have climbed with more people this year, which has been a very happy experience.

2016 plans? Not enough mountains in 2015, so next year's wish is simple: more mountains
 Tom Last 24 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Started well. Semi-successful climbing trip to trip to Patagonia and 100 routes in a day on grit.

Progressed badly. Too much illness though this year, variously aneurysms, lung cancer, coeliac disease and OCD all been diagnosed in close family members.

Got worse. One of my best and oldest friends killed himself in the autumn after a long battle with mental illness and drug addiction.

Finished on the up. Bought a house and climbed The Toy - f*ck yeah!

Merry Christmas all x
llechwedd 25 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Lived through it.
Wife distraught with her mother touch and go for the first months of the year. Son's half -brother died in a waterfall accident in the summer. In late Autumn I got a diagnosis of prostate cancer. All this overlain with insomnia from chronic neck pain, increased workplace stress, and also with the crap from the latest episode in a vendetta being waged against me by the neighbouring family.
At the time, I felt I was being stoical about the blows, mouthing platitudes- but now see I was trying to wall it all off, and so sleepwalked through much of the year with little energy or positivity. I did get out in the hills here and there, but the feeling of wellbeing didn't carry over to the following day.
I think I should keep a diary to record and celebrate the positives this coming year..

Clauso 25 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

It was going okay, and I was on the verge of completing my AdventRunning challenge of 25 consecutive days of running, until I heavily sprained my ankle on tonight's run. Buggerment.
 John Kelly 25 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Got up 260 routes this year so far, loads of easy stuff and repeats included, but apart from being scared and defeated by vs chimney on Gable loved ever minute. Occasionally climbing with my son has also been a real joy.
 Yanis Nayu 25 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

Bloody hell that's a rough trot. I hope next year is better for you.
 marsbar 25 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

Hope next year is easier.
OP Alyson 25 Dec 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:
> Have a lovely Christmas and New Year. Love and best wishes to you and yours.

Same to you!

Sutok 25 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Discovered climbing and dragged other half down with me.

Resigned to spending the majority of 2016 either on the UKC forums, up a crag or at a climbing wall.

Probably one of the best years ever!
 spearing05 25 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Not been a bad year really. Work has been insanely busy but has it's rewards. Struggled through my third year of OU degree so now over half way. Climbing started well though has died of a lot since the summer, managed a 6c which is a personal highlight and had a great two weeks touring Scotland with my wife in our camper which resulted in a spur of the moment early morning AE ridge crossing in stunning conditions.

I was supposed to run my first marathon in early May but after months of prep the final week was horrific in work with my 1.30 finish on Friday becoming 7.30 meaning a late night drive, 4 hours sleep and cramp at mile 17. Dropped out on the verge of hypothermia at mile 19. A second marathon attempt ended in September with two months to go racing a 16 mile course with a niggling hip and limping for the next month. Literally this last week started running again and making plans for 2016

P
 Kimono 26 Dec 2015
In reply to spearing05:
A pretty full year and it's not over yet....
A lot of cycling....maybe over 10,000kms on road and MTB.
Rode Alpe d'Huez (twice) and the 57km long Cerro de la Muerte in Costa Rica
My kitesurfing really took off (literally!) and feel like I am now a pretty good kiter after 6 years of it
Walked part of the Camino de Santiago (northern route)
Attended and helped with 8 meditation retreats over the summer.
Discovered DMT and rediscovered ayahuasca at a ceremony last weekend
Had very little sex
Am currently living in and thoroughly enjoying Colombia so a reasonable winter so far
Post edited at 01:05
 Baron Weasel 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

On the whole good, moved house in Jan, lost job in March, got old job back in May - but went part time to get better work life balance and more time with toddler. Not done much climbing or biking or caving, but will get back on it next year!
 broken spectre 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Decades of self-abuse culminated in a bizarre and undiagnosed illness at the start of July that I am continuing to recover from. There's alot of lost time to make up for and I intend to head for the hills in spring! Season's Greetings to everyone. Merry Everything and a Happy Always
Gone for good 26 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:
A tough year for me but finishing on a better note. Didn't get much done in the hills but finally managed to get into Glen Affric and bagged some long yearned for munro 's and spent 2 nights in the Youth Hostel which was most enjoyable. Followed that up with a cracking day on the Skye ridge bagging another 3 munro 's. Still 90 odd to go to finish the round.
On the domestic front it was a very difficult time resulting in a very acrimonious divorce. Decree nisi has been awarded and am now waiting for the decree absolute which is due anytime now. Having said all that I have shared access with my kids which for me was the most important outcome. Its amazing how rapidly you can lose trust and respect for someone after having lived with them for 10 years. On a positive note I managed to buy a new house in September after some very generous help from friends and family and have spent the past 3 months turning it into a home. I finally took the plunge and booked a 4 week climb in the himalaya for October /November 2016. I'm back in the gym and on the road getting my fitness together and am looking forward to the new year with a lot of excitement. Happy new year to you all!
In reply to Alyson:

Well 2015 has been pretty unremarkable compared to the previous three (2012 got married, 2013 was retired on medical grounds, 2014 moved from Warrington to Somerset), but a bit of consolidation is no bad thing.

I've done as much as I've been able, we had two holidays abroad (first since 2009) one of which was in the Pacific Northwest, which I've wanted to visit for years, and (small beer though this is in the grand scheme of things) I had a photo in the explore section of Flickr.

Healthwise I remain disgustingly healthy in all aspects except the neurological, where things are becoming tedious. I was almost reduced to tears by my inability to write legibily in the Christmas card I gave to my wife and slow though it may be to make progress, I am going to try and learn to write left-handed next year.

So on the whole; mustn't grumble. Just don't ask me to write.

T.

Hillseeker 27 Dec 2015
In reply to Alyson:

Spent the first half of the year in a mess after having broken up with girlfriend at the end of 2014.
Thought I'd made some progress in trying to improve my career/work situation but that seems to have gone to pot now.
Also been having counselling for the last 10 months - this has helped in areas but might be time to give up now.
Last few months have been in a confusing semi-relationship that has taken up a lot of time due to travelling 40 odd miles to see her.
Climbing has been sporadic. Strength fluctuating and ability on grit has disappeared - thought I used to feel ok on that stuff. Want to do more in the mountains in 2016.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...