UKC

Good easy boulders that aren't slabby/highball in the peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SFrancis 10 Nov 2016
It may be wishful thinking but I'm looking for a few suggestions for easy boulders in the peak (v1-v3, 4-6A) that aren't highball or slabs, things like Mini-Prow (f5) at Curbar or Huggy (f5) at Burbage South boulders, with the caveat that there are some interesting boulders in the 6B-7B range (preferably a classic..) in the same area.

Girlfriend is quite picky but loves most things in Font, but as of yet isn't totally sold on grit. She was not impressed with the slabby offerings at Robin hoods stride and being relatively strong seems to have an aversion to slabs in general. I had a flick through the vertabrate bouldering guide, but nothing really stood out and at 6A I thought maybe most things will be slabby. I've told her she's either going to have to crank a bit harder or learn to love a good tenuous smear.
 Durbs 10 Nov 2016
In reply to SFrancis:
The Three Ships at Birchen Edge are a great spot for a day (or half-day) of easy bouldering. Even some easy juggy overhangs, a very fun/silly mantle, a couple of slabs, and traverse.
Easy landings, good views and a decent-ish pub at the bottom.

Harder stuff available on Birchen edge just below it too

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=94
Post edited at 09:09
OP SFrancis 10 Nov 2016
In reply to Durbs:

Cheers for the reply, probably one of the venues ive overlooked as it doesnt have any standout problems.

It looks like it ticks all the boxes, so definitely worth a look.
 JLS 10 Nov 2016
In reply to SFrancis:
Check out Apparent North Buttress.
I'd consider it one of the better venues for low grade boulders in the Peak.
Post edited at 14:22
 Adam Long 10 Nov 2016
In reply to SFrancis:

Try...
Newstones
Secret garden
Gardoms north
Bell hagg

All have some low roofs at easy-mid grades.
 Dave Garnett 10 Nov 2016
In reply to SFrancis:

I think there are quite a few easy, non-slabby boulders with sensible landings at Curbar, especially those boulders up behind Trackside boulders.
 LJH 10 Nov 2016
In reply to SFrancis:

If avoiding slabby is the main requirement then the main edges maybe better than boulders? A lot of the stuff on curbar main edge is vertical and had good landings. The bits below end of affair then working right spring to mind most..

Other than that just go to the churnet, guaranteed to enjoy it if she's strong. Not grit but not far off...
 Si dH 11 Nov 2016
In reply to SFrancis:

Second the Churnet. Anston Stones possibly too, but check the logbook first to be sure.
OP SFrancis 11 Nov 2016
In reply to All:

Cheers for all the replies. Looks like plenty to have a look at, never been to the churnet. Might put that one top of the list.
 Offwidth 11 Nov 2016
In reply to SFrancis:

A few more from the SE peak:

http://peakbouldering.info is your friend alongside the Froggatt guide and http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/guides.html

Matlock Bank....urban quarry but alongside New Mills Tor sometimes one of the few place climbable in the Peak in a dismal winter as its sheltered south facing sun trap.

Stanton Moor and Rowtor (for Stanton there is loads of stuff not in the guides), great pub for afters.

Rabbit Warren and Harland Edge.. good wild edge bouldering combo day

Quick, reliable bits and bobs...Clifftop, Cocking Tor, Alport Stone, Shining Cliff (and Eastwood... banned but OK if you are quiet)

And more conventionally Gardoms (esp. north and south ends), Baslow (Squarestone, Walnut, Eagle Stone Froggatt Edge (esp Pinnacle Boulders, Todys Playground, Hairpin) and Curbar Edge (Moon area, Little Quarry)

And famously Robin Hood Stride and Cratcliffe.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...