UKC

Christmas crack - Christmas day - still done?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wilkie14c 15 Dec 2023

Is this still a thing? (Stanage) 

Always used to be and we had a wander over about ten years ago and joined the party, took our Christmas ‘dinner’ (A ‘festive’ meal deal sandwich) and had a blast, ascended the route in strange and tipsy style wearing a santa hat while wedging whiskey miniatures and quality streets into various cracks for other nutters to find. It was a surprisingly surreal and alternative Christmas day, highly recommended if the weather holds and there are a few going up.

deacondeacon 15 Dec 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

You defo won't be the only person on it if you turn up 🙂

profitofdoom 15 Dec 2023
In reply to deacondeacon:

> You defo won't be the only person on it if you turn up 🙂

It is good to hear there are still lots of loonies around

I might wander up there myself 

GrahamD 15 Dec 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

I proposed to MrsD the Christmas Day we climbed Christmas Crack.  I'd even smuggled a bottle of champers up to the crag but we were way too cold to drink it and stuck with the flask of coffee instead.

Back on topic, there was a pretty steady stream of people doing the route. 1997.

Sam Beaton 15 Dec 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

My ex wife went climbing with me about 3 times in 15 years. One of those times was Xmas Crack on Xmas Day 2005ish. Somehow she ended up in a guidebook before I did, it's her in red half way up Xmas Crack in the pic in the current definitive guide, I'm just out of shot at the top of the crag

DizzyT 16 Dec 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

Was really busy in 2000. And a lot of fun!

Misha 16 Dec 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

The logbook suggests that it’s still very much a tradition. 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/stanage_popular-104/christmas_crac...

TechnoJim 17 Dec 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

After a weekend with my family I will absolutely be doing some Christmas crack.

mark20 17 Dec 2023

Me and my partner were the second team on it on the morning of Christmas 2019. You'll want to be there early if you don't want to queue. The last couple of years we've had more of a lie it and just taken the dog for a walk, with a flask of mulled wine and some mince pies, to watch everyone else get colds hands!

Alkis 18 Dec 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

I do it every year.

PaulJepson 18 Dec 2023
In reply to wilkie14c:

Get on Cold Turkey (HVS 5a) if the queue is too long.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...