UKC

Watch out for this guy - Peak/Derbyshire area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
a concerned person 08 Apr 2004
Please see: http://ukcaving.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=520

He claims to be an expert climber/mountaineer as well.
 Wilbur 08 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person:

what a tool
OP Anonymous 08 Apr 2004

the criminal misuse of apostrophes on his website is grounds enough for him being locked up.
 Matthew B 08 Apr 2004

I can't read that guy's website without being reminded of this:

http://mytrailerpark.com/
 Wingnut 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Matthew B:
ROFL!

lcb
 TobyA 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Anonymous: And for forced jollyness with over use of exclamation marks!!!

Do you think his friends are real or not?
Alison Bond 08 Apr 2004

I don't really care whether he's authentic or not, his spelling, grammar and punctuation cause me physical pain!

On Owler Tor...
"The veiws from here are what I believe to be some of the best in the Peak district and some of the finest in the UK. It is popular with alot of people due to it's location and that it is easy to get to. Also it is due to the feeling of beig very remote yet only 800m's from the nearest road so is a safe place to visit to."

Alison Bond 08 Apr 2004

And this gem

"The next two Photo's are of one of the best Climbs in the Peak District"
psdatwork 08 Apr 2004

Is it me, or are all of those photos either a: taken in remarkably flat areas for an 'expert climber' or b: taken of non-flat areas, but strangely enough without 'expert climber' in shot or c: faked?
OP Thomas Tom-Thomas 08 Apr 2004

Add a headscarf and.....it's Tubbs, from the league of gentlemen. He does seem "Local"

Has he been foisting his (Lack of) skills on unsuspecting punters?
 malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person: I know this guy, he is also known to Humberside Police. I would treat his story with caution
 JimmAwelon 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond:
"As a mountaineer the pinnacle of my career will be climbing Mt Everest and K2. When I have(which I will) I can then safely say that I have climbed the ten Highest peaks in the world!!!! Then all I have to do is climb the other four."

Lacking in geographical knowledge, 10 highest plus the other 4 = 14 highest. What about the 15th highest, oh and then the 16th highest..... silly me and then the 17th highest, you can keep going.

This is one of those guys who just wants to talk about me (him) and probably has a nickname such as Andy-Lies or Burnt-Bum-Andy (like any liar, (liar) his pants are on fire)!
OP Kveddy 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond:

Do you think the US forces are aware that the two girls he takes climbing "terrorist anyone" who crosses their path?

His inability to distinguish between to and too is also annoying!

Anyone for abseiling?
rich 08 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person: oh lordy lordy

did anyone get this far?

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andrewmoorhouse/poetry.html

Wingnut 08 Apr 2004
In reply to rich:
Eeek!

Wonder if he's related to Steve Webb?
OP Kveddy 08 Apr 2004
In reply to rich: His gallery is a hoot. Not many photos of the highest mountains/search and rescue/Turkey/Alps/global travel type stuff....unless he does earchquake S&R in the Peak!

TobyA 08 Apr 2004
In reply to rich:
> (In reply to a concerned person) oh lordy lordy
>
> did anyone get this far?
>
> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andrewmoorhouse/poetry.html

No no NO NO NO!!!!

Make it stop! Make it stop!

this site is so wonderful, it has to be a lovingly created troll doesn't it?

FunkyNick 08 Apr 2004
Am quite amazed at his physical prowess.. can anyone else manage to carry a 60kg rucsac?
rich 08 Apr 2004
In reply to TobyA: its the internet - it never stops

actually i think there might be a bit more to it than first appears

You are Apart of Me.

interesting hmm?
FH 08 Apr 2004

You say he claims to be in the Harrogate Mountain Rescue team, which as far as I am aware does not exist. So does he have a Harrogate connection, I'm asking as I feel I've seen him before??

Alison Bond 08 Apr 2004
In reply to rich:

Oh good god! Will someone come and gouge out my eyes so i don't have to read his inane drivel any more.

There's no excuse for putting that much effort into something so horrible, troll or not!
rich 08 Apr 2004
In reply to TobyA:
> this site is so wonderful, it has to be a lovingly created troll doesn't it?

i fear you may be right . . .

> This photograph is taken on Stanage Edge near the Plantation area(24/02/02) in the Peak district. It graphically shows how Ice can form on rock even when there is little water in the area. It also show's how inhospitable but yet beautiful it can look. BUT Imagine if you can the same scene with heavy snow!! That then is a typical winters Search and Rescue scene of which myself and my team have spent alot of time in..
 malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond: He is originally from a steel town in North Lincolnshire. I have known him since he was as school. He used to tell us all about his army action being flown all over the world at the drop of a hat. He would walk the local high street in uniform doin special undercover work ( but he always took the bus home). MOD and Police were interested in him.
FH 08 Apr 2004
In reply to malc:

I assume it's safe to say he's quite mad!!

The worrying asspect though are the girls in the photos, I wouldnt like to think of my daughter with a man like this.
Alison Bond 08 Apr 2004
In reply to FH:
I wouldn't want to be near a man like that, i'm quite scared!
rich 08 Apr 2004
In reply to FH: someone with the same names has a profile here albeit a limited one . . .
 malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to FH: i certainly would!!
OP nim not logged in 08 Apr 2004
In reply to malc: Cue the James Bond theme music

dan dadallan daaan dan dan dan dan dadallaaaaaan dan dan dan......
OP a concerned person 08 Apr 2004
Apparantly the police in Sheffield know him after he tryied to steal a camcorder from a shop.

When challenged (and he was dressed in full climbing gear + harness in the town centre!), he claimed he was on a rescue with the fictional Harrogate MRT.

The guy is obviously a dreamer, but can also apparantly be quite convincing and is the sort of person who could easily con beginners into thinking he's an expert.
 malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person: Once saw his business card in Grindleford cafe. It was qickly removed
 malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person: similar thing happened in Hull and a knife was produced.....shortly afterward he went away for a spell.....
Profanisaurus Rex 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond:
> (In reply to rich)
>
> Oh good god! Will someone come and gouge out my eyes so i don't have to read his inane drivel any more.
>
Ah, come on, he does say there are two meanings to all his work - maybe you're not seeing the deep, meaningful side to his work?

Alison Bond 08 Apr 2004
In reply to MaxB:

No, I just see dull dull words, banal rhyming structure and little comprehension of even basic punctuation. My 11 yr old Guides could do better.
rich 08 Apr 2004
In reply to MaxB: indeed - where's JCT when you need her?
OP Anonymous 08 Apr 2004
In reply to malc:

And apparantly even though he doesn't work, his house is packed full of kit....make of that what you will.

A mate of mine who used to work in a climbing shop has seen his bogus business cards too when he tried to get discount. He's even made (quite convincing apparantly) badges for his jacket purporting to be from his mythical rescue team.
Alison Bond 08 Apr 2004

And I'm sorry, but i think his girlfriend is a bit of a minger too. I mean, who poses like that in walking boots?
 malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond: i think that is quite an old photo
rich 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond: so much for sisterhood ;¬)
FH 08 Apr 2004
In reply to malc:

You obviously know her too.

Is she mad as well?
Profanisaurus Rex 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond:
> (In reply to MaxB)
>
> No, I just see dull dull words, banal rhyming structure and little comprehension of even basic punctuation. My 11 yr old Guides could do better.

No, no, look deeper. Read it with your soul, not your mind...

malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to FH: There were quite a few issues relating to his girlfriend very similar to the comments you made earlier!
Fran Britain 08 Apr 2004

This is truely dire. And that is without adding on the police implications. Ditto a lot of what everyone else has said really, but am truly amazed at the amount of drivel and trash on the site, and as for the spelling (even allowing for the fact that spelling and grammar are not everyones cup of tea!). Did he really need to go to Canada to find challenging winter conditions? I seem to recall plenty of hideous winter conditions in Scotland.
psdatwork 08 Apr 2004
In reply to rich:

Yet again no sign of our 'expert climber' with the picture of the 'girlfriend' - is the photo being 'borrowed' from somewhere else?
 malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Anonymous: He supplied brand new gear and rock bottom prices which he claimed was old army issue
Alison Bond 08 Apr 2004
In reply to MaxB:

Oh THAT'S what I was doing wrong, I was reading with the wrong part of my anatomy! Should have known it was my fault all along.
Alison Bond 08 Apr 2004
In reply to malc:
> (In reply to Alison Bond) i think that is quite an old photo

Oh, so she's pretty now?

I'm sorry, that was mean. I am a horrible person and a bad sister. But she does have rubbish taste in men... If she really IS his Grilfriend. (I love that typo)
 malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond:
> (If she really IS his Grilfriend. (I love that typo)
She certainly was a while back....were talking bearly 90's
FH 08 Apr 2004
In reply to malc:

So what is his Harrogate connection, if at all there is one?
 malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to FH: Not sure about that connection. When I knew him he was based in North Lincolnshire. I know of one person who was injured by his actions, two know if you count the original post. Unsuspecting punters should be aware that he cliams to be an instructor
 Simon Caldwell 08 Apr 2004
In reply to malc:
For some reason the phrase "care in the community" springs to mind
OP daven 08 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person: Talking about his daughters...
"So beware if you see them then you best go another way. But if you should go to near them offer chocolate(as I do) as this seems to quell the beast inside them "

Does anyone else see something wrong here?
OP The Joker 08 Apr 2004
In reply to malc: Someone want to send him an e-mail asking him to check out:-

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/r.php?id=1084150

Come on it would be a laugh if nothing else.

OP gv 08 Apr 2004
In reply to malc: What a web page, what a guy! Please let this be for real and not a troll.

My diagnosis is NUTTER

Sloper
OP The Joker 08 Apr 2004
OP slimmo 08 Apr 2004
In reply to The Joker: talk about a witch hunt, better watch out andrews about hahahahahahahaha
OP Anonymous 08 Apr 2004

No one noticed that all the pictures in the 'Canadian Pages' are Scottish hills.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andrewmoorhouse/canada.html

Mt. Rose or 'this mountains a rose' is Ben Nevis from the Carn Dearg Arete.

keith @ work 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Anonymous:
I thought they looked familiar!! Didn't have time to check them out though (answering one of the 2 calls that I've had all afternoon, yawn...)
OP Anonymous 08 Apr 2004
In reply to daven:
> Does anyone else see something wrong here?

Offering sweeties to little girls....?
Nah, nothing wrong at all!
 Rubbishy 08 Apr 2004

fanf*ckintastic.

I like his Everest page, the hardest moutnain in the world, so no mention of K2 or the Rupal Face on Nanage Parbat.

He reminds me ofthat pathological liar of Pheonix nights, or FH.
OP Anonymous 08 Apr 2004
In reply to John Rushby: Nanage Parbat - Are you him?
OP Nim again 08 Apr 2004
In reply to John Rushby: I particularly liked this line:

"There are many problems in climbing Mt. Everest. Such as weather, temperature, etc, but the worst is rubbish."

And you know, it's so true! How many stories have you seen of people slipping over on a crisp packet and twisting their ankle? It's rife on Everest. Hypothermia and death pale into insignificance...

Or should that be: Hypothermia and Death pail in two Insignifficunse.
 Rubbishy 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

and I am right behindd yoo

The Everest Pages, I just keep reading them and reading them - like rubbernecking a car crash.

The last time I read anything like it was when i translated Tibetan using google.
Tim Aucott 08 Apr 2004
In reply to FH:
The choice of pic's dose seam a little strange from someone who has been "mountineering" all around the world, was a little more worried about this guy, when I saw the pics at the end of the gallery through.
Craig_M 08 Apr 2004
In reply to John Rushby:

I particularly liked his list of favourite mountains:

Lhotse, Ben Nevis and Kinder Scout.
 Rubbishy 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Craig_M:

London, Paris and Peckham spring to mind
OP Anonymous 08 Apr 2004
In reply to John Rushby: Believe me, I turned around to look.

All I keep thinking is 'Don't have nightmares please sleep well'.

Imagine turning up at a remote crag for a bit of nighttime soloing and having this crackpot trying to befriend you.

Probably a gun nut as well. It may be worth checking with local gun clubs to see if they have any knowledge of him.
Alison Bond 08 Apr 2004

"It has been said that someone once climbed Mt. Everest without any pants! We don't know if that one is true but it is certainly strange!"

I have emailed him and asked him to cite his references.
I shall await his response with baited breath.
 malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond:
> (In reply to a concerned person)
>
> "It has been said that someone once climbed Mt. Everest without any pants!

I think he may have taken that line from me. I once put it on an application to a climbing wall.
OP Nim still not logged on 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond: I'm a bit worried by any man that refers to his girlfriends, sorry, grilfriends as MISS Posey Modelbird and MISS Why Am-I-Mates With-This-Lunatic. All a bit formal and victorian for my liking. I bet he's got all sorts of weird things at home....
Alison Bond 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Nim still not logged on:

I bet he makes her call him SIR
OP Anonymous 08 Apr 2004
In reply to gv:

> My diagnosis is NUTTER
>
> Sloper

Coming from Mr Sloper, priceless.

To the rest of you: 'Calm down Dear! It's only a commercial!'

Now GO OUT CLIMBING!
psdatwork 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond:
> (In reply to Nim still not logged on)
>
> I bet he makes her call him SIR

"Daddy", surely?

OP The Joker 08 Apr 2004
> Please see: http://ukcaving.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=520
>
> He claims to be an expert climber/mountaineer as well.

Okay I couldn't resist!

"They brought only minimal foods and they did not use any fixed ropes which are usually used for easy climbing to carry luggage"

"For example, reaching the summit from sea level, which is 0 metres high"

"The team survived (only one death) But they left the helicopter on the mountain."

"For example, Messner (mentioned earlier) has never left anything on the mountain. He had never used bolts during climbing"

"It is difficult to climb Himalayas mountain without bolts"

"Mt. Everest is the tallest mountain in the world"

and the cracker....

"George Mallory and Andrew Irvine might have climbed Mt. Everest first! They have found George Mallory's body. They think he was climbing at night because he didn't have his sunglasses on!"
Alison Bond 08 Apr 2004
In reply to psdatwork:

As in "Who's your daddy!"?
OP nim again 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond:
> (In reply to psdatwork)
>
> As in "Who's your daddy!"?

More like "Daddy, what are you doing?" I would guess.
:S

sandyman 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond: PMSL PMSL, this has to be the real alan partridge, lol lol.

'First there was climbing in the Peak District, then the UK. So here's the next logical step: Climbing in the World!'

pmsl pmsl

Rubbishy 08 Apr 2004
In reply to The Joker:

I wonder who is on the Mount Everest Bolt committee, do they have a bolt fund, can you top rope it?
sandyman 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Alison Bond: Why Shanghai?
Well read the description below for the answer. As this may have been how we have built up our club Membership!!!!!

Shanghai: kidnap, abduct, carry away, grab, seize, take, annex, repossess, conscript, induct, call, enrol, force, impress, select.

OH F! be afraid!!!!! lol lol lol lol and this is just simply class...........

'We went to gardens buttress area of Gardoms edge. There was a group of walkers and climbers. The people who went walking were Emma, Carol, Noel, Steve and Tim. The others who were Andrew, Mick, Ian Natasha,Taren, David, Garth and us two (Sarah & Holly) who went climbing with Lady the hunter (dog). The first thing we did is set a top rope which we did throughout the day (with Andrews supervision) We were climbing independently on the first climb that we did. Holly got to the top but I (Sarah) didn't make it and on failing my first climb there was a near death situation (ha ha ha!) where I got a deep graze on my two of my fingers on my right hand next to my little finger. The other near death situation was when Holly banged her already badly bruised leg against a rock when she slipped. In the little spare time that we had Holly practised doing her Poi (a sort of juggling thing with balls on a string) It was really funny because nearly hit the hunter Lady and nearly gave Mick a heart attack and when me and Natasha had a go we hit ourselves and that can hurt because it's a solid ball inside of it. When we were waiting for the walkers to come back we tried to lift Andrew's rucsack and the two of us and Nat all fell over. Andrew said to Holly put it on and try to stand up with it, guess what- she fell over. When the walkers came back we went to the cars and then all got an ice cream of course. '

pmsl pmsl pmsl

Graham Taylor 08 Apr 2004
In reply to sandyman:
From his outdoors page
'Thank you for all the time you took helping me Dennis and thank you for Showing me what I am capable off. I am eternally grateful to you and forever in your debt. Again my thanks to you!!!!'

Yes thank you dennis, christ knows what you did to him but it knackered him up completely.
Only just seen this thread but he gets a prize for being a class A w*****
 malc 08 Apr 2004
> > 'Thank you for all the time you took helping me Dennis and thank you for Showing me what I am capable off. I am eternally grateful to you and forever in your debt. Again my thanks to you!!!!'

I know this 'denis' very well. He will be horrified to know that he is taking the blame for all this!
 Graham Taylor 08 Apr 2004
In reply to malc:
Ok in that case, please give him my condolences and ask him to give this moron a good slap round the chops
 malc 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Graham Taylor: I have mailed this thread around the members of my local club. One club member has been laughing all afternoon. We have not seem this guy for nearly 5 years. We hoped he had stopped living in this fantasy world.
OP Poet 08 Apr 2004
In reply to malc:

I thought it only fair to send him the mail below:

Poet
xxx

Dear Andrew

I read the attached thread. I do think your site is a little strange.

But then I suppose it all makes perfect sense in your head?

Do reply…you'll make ever such a lot of people ever so happy.

Kind regards

John

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=80992
OP Poet 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Poet:

No news yet...I'll check again tomorrow!

Poet
x
Mr Nick 08 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person: I saw this guy on the Hathersage train from Sheffield, I thought he seemed a little odd at the time.
 Allan Thomson 08 Apr 2004
In reply to rich:
> (In reply to a concerned person) oh lordy lordy
>
> did anyone get this far?
>
> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andrewmoorhouse/poetry.html

I'm sure some of 'his' 'poems' I've seen elsewhere. Infact, I'm not sure, but they might even be hyms or prayers, but don't quote me on that.
JohnB 08 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person: PMSLOAOA

I wonder if this might be the guy spotted abbing down Moon Buttress some years ago, festooned with enough lead gear to sink a ferry. He announced to all present that he could abseil down E6, like the direction of travel didn't matter.

The photos of the girls are scary tho'. Got one myself a bit younger, and if a guy like this was putting her on the web, I think I mght have a word.
Jonno 08 Apr 2004

In hindsight I feel that this guy is a rather brilliant Alan Partridge-esque creation.
The creator of 'Alan Moorhouse' deserves congratulating for an inspired piece of creative humour.

The jokes on us I'm afraid !
OP a concerned person 08 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned jonno:

Unfortunately not - although it seems almost too stupid to be real, I know people who've had the 'pleasure' of actually meeting this bloke.

Dead Goat's Society 08 Apr 2004
In reply to toutes:

Isn't this all a bit like pointing at and pestering the kid in your class who was a bit simple?

Why not at least let him enjoy his fantasy world without heavy-handed sarcastic emails showing how superior we all are.

Timmd 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Dead Goat's Society:I thought that a bit,but if he's a danger to people and has the police interested in him then he needs pointing out to anybody who might see him endangering anybody,or endangering them i guess.All the rofing at his site and e-mails is a bit bitchy though i agree,but people need to be aware of him i think.
Tim
StoneDonkey_Not_Logged_In 08 Apr 2004
In reply to Dead Goat's Society:

I'm with you on this one.

I think people should be warned about this guy, if he is claiming to be a climbing instructor when he clearly isn't, but I wouldn't be too happy about poking fun at his grammar and spelling.

He seems to have a low intellect and I think he may be (slightly) mentally ill, so maybe we should just leave him alone.
OP Anonymous 08 Apr 2004

I love this quote it makes me feel really good about my climbing ability

"And the one above is The Scoop climb. It is one of the most fun and one of the most difficult climbs on the Millstone area. It's a must for ALL climbers!!!"

anyone who has done this vdiff will know what i mean .its about 1 vdiff move then a walk then 2 mod moves and top out
Jonno 08 Apr 2004
> (In reply to a concerned jonno)
>
> Unfortunately not - although it seems almost too stupid to be real, I know people who've had the 'pleasure' of actually meeting this bloke.

Nice try but you don't get me with that one.You're probably Andrew's 'Steve Coogan.
daf 08 Apr 2004
<Gulp>. i too own a PDA... and i climb... and my girlfriend is simple...
 Andy S 09 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person: I can't seem to find his site anymore. Has it been removed? I really want to see it!
 sutty 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy S:

It has gone. He must have been on here and done a moonlight flit;-0
 Skyhook 09 Apr 2004
In reply to sutty: I managed to mirror it before it went.

You can find it here...

http://www.skyhook.ath.cx/myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andrewmoorhouse/

I'll leave it up for 24 hours and then I'll take it down... I have limited bandwidth.
 malc 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook: Try the link on the first posting
 sutty 09 Apr 2004
In reply to malc:

Does not work for me now, the link Skyhook put up does though
 Skyhook 09 Apr 2004
In reply to malc: It no longer works. His site has been removed.

If you can still see it, it is because it is either in your cache or the cache of your ISP.
 Padraig 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook:

THis is a troll? Please Lord??
 Skipinder 09 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person: Hmmn....one of the main probs in the Himalaya is bolts????? Anyone else lost count of the times Herman Buhl, Mallory, Messner et al mentioned bolts? George Mallory climbing at night - reason - he wasn't wearing sunglasses? Well if I'd taken a fall I think my specs might have come adrift.

Meds such as Heminevrin, Haloperidol & Midazolam (sic) should be prescribed asap.

James Jackson 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

If you read on you would've realised that even he didn't put this seriously.
OP Photo man 09 Apr 2004
Did anybody notice that the picture of 'Everest' is in fact Ama Dablam? Well I guess it's just round the courner so that's OK then.
OP a concerned person 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Photo man:

This comment on ukcaving.com sums it up nicely ::

"This guy is quite famous as being a complete "nobody"; a total fantasist who collects gullible people who have no or little knowledge of the outdoor scene and recruits them as followers. A CLASSIC INFERIORITY COMPLEX SCENARIO. His actions at Giant's Hole actually caused the accident, he was totally unable to effect a rescue and would probably have killed his girlfriend if two Eldon members (one also DCRO) hadn't told him to bugger off and took control. He is a total fraud with no consideration for the people he may injure or kill. He claims to friends that he was in the SAS and was asked to leave with the express reason of setting up International & National Rescue (which doesn't exist!) He was never in the SAS either. Visit his website. He used to hang around various outdoor shops wearing his IS&R patch (which I believe he had made himself) trying to collect novices. He is a dangerous individual and all should be aware of him. Many people are currently investigating Moorhouse, let's hope he grows up and gets a life."
OP a concerned person 09 Apr 2004
 Skyhook 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook:

> If you can still see it, it is because it is either in your cache or the cache of your ISP.

At this rate you won't be able to see it here much longer! Really soaking up my bandwidth!

Anyone else prepared to mirror it?

OP Stu Tyrrell 09 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person: Check out the Shanghai Mountaineering Club!!! crack up if you will....

Stu
 Andy S 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook:
Thanks for mirroring the site - had a look through all of it and also the 'Shanghai Walking Club' and 'emma's' home page.

It just doesn't add up. First of all, the rescue org doesn't exist, second he says he's climbed some of the highest mountains in the world and yet has no account of the ascents or any photos. Loads of photos from the peak of course. I was trying to figure out who those people were. One thought was that they are people employed to take HIM out, with him belonging to some sort of mentally disabled care group. There's loads of basic grammatical errors on his site, yet the writing is fluent on the 'Shanghai Walking Club's' page.

Emma the club's 'secretary' seems to be quite 'normal', but says they're a couple, or at least used to be.

He seems to have at least a minimal knowledge of ropework as he seems to have at least setup a toprope for some 'club' members.

Interesting that he says he and his brother soloed Great Slab (you would have thought he would have used a rope given the few ascents he seems to have accounted for). There's also a picture of a guy called 'Mick' who is 'new to climbing'. Gave me pause for thought when I saw that it appears that he hasn't put any gear in at all while quite high up on a HS (looked about that, if not harder). It's like he's just given him the rope and said "up you go mate!".

.....So many contradictions, so little answers.....(dramatic yet eerie music)

However, if it wasn't for the caving site's comments and the Giant's Hole story I wouldn't have given it too much thought. He doesn't seem like a deliberately malicious or 'bad-guy', but one who is potentially dangerous through naivety and seems to be slightly mentally ill in some way. The various people are definitely right in bringing this to our attention and I'll certainly be doing my little bit to spread the word.

I think I'm going to go undercover and infiltrate 'Shanghai Walking Club'.
gat33 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy S: if you do infiltrate the club ask him why he is known as "cannon fodder" in his home town
gat33 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy S: ps also ask him where my new sleeping bag is that he was going to deliver to the Lakes by "Chinhook" helicopter on his way back from a forces excersise about 7 years ago
 Skyhook 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy S:

> I think I'm going to go undercover and infiltrate 'Shanghai Walking Club'.

Tut-tut! It's the Shanghai Walking and Mountaineering Club SWMC> !!

It's only I am a member of the South Wales Mountaineering Club (also SWMC). Please folks... don't let's confuse the two!!

Skyhook 09 Apr 2004
OK... you have another 4 hours of me leaving this site up.

If you want to mirror it (as a public service of course) please do so soon, or email me and I'll attach the whole site to an email.
OP boozeg 09 Apr 2004

im sorry i cant help but join in:

'Scrambling is a serious game, perhaps the most potentially dangerous one played in the mountains'

so dont try it home kids
OP boozeg 09 Apr 2004

but they guy has a point:

'In short, people in rich countries buy lives of people in poor countries'
 Graham Taylor 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook:
How big is the website?
 Andy S 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Graham Taylor:
It's a basic website - text and images, but he covers alot of ground. Splits into different sections, photos, 'poet's corner'(!), more photos, lots of text on everest.

I even started to think that even the whole walking club was made up and the pictured treasurer and secretary were just random people who's photos he used to create these ficitonal characters!
 Skyhook 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Graham Taylor: 5980 kb
MarcoP 09 Apr 2004

I can get onto the site now and the its the first time Ive seen it - back up and running methinks?
 Skyhook 09 Apr 2004
In reply to MarcoP:
> I can get onto the site now and the its the first time Ive seen it - back up and running methinks?

The site that you are seeing is my copy of his site.

Dave80 09 Apr 2004
In reply to a concerned person: anyone read the guest book?

classic comment on it is
"First Name : Keli
Email address : [email protected]
Comment : terrific site ,,very imformative and entertaining..learned a lot and wouold love to chat with you in reagrds to your passion to this sport. Keli "

and quite a few more like it!
 Mooncat 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Dave80:

Noticed that, also noticed a lot of them are foreign.
 Dave80 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Mooncat: Yeah. Unfortunitally my connection is too slow to have a proper look at the site buts sounds like its an entertaining way to kill some time. Shame its been taken down really.
 Andy S 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Dave80:
It's a bit worrying actually...
 Mooncat 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Dave80:

Just make sure you read the poetry section.
 Skyhook 09 Apr 2004
I'll give the site another hour and then I'm afraid I've got to pull the plug. My ISP might start to notice for one thing!

Also makes web-browsing very slow here.

Michael Ryan 09 Apr 2004
> Please see: http://ukcaving.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=520
>
> He claims to be an expert climber/mountaineer as well.

Seems quite normal to me.

Mick

sutty 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook:

thanks for putting it up anyway. I have a lot of it on here till I clear cache so may do a save first so it can be sent as a file to those who wnat it.
 Skyhook 09 Apr 2004
In reply to sutty:
> thanks for putting it up anyway.

You're welcome!

> I have a lot of it on here till I clear cache so may do a save first so it can be sent as a file to those who wnat it.

I have zipped up the website (approx 5 Meg) and can send it to those who request it.

Just been looking back through my webserver logfile. I don't think that it's a coincidence but there was a rather pathetic attempt at 'denial of service' on my webserver. Never had one of those before. Email sent to the culprit's ISP.

Also my "weird packet log" has reported loads of attempts at a Distributed Denial of Service . This stopped at around 22:20 this evening. This has never happened before either.

It appeared to have no effect on the ability of others to view the site.
innes 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook:

Just out of interest, what's the difference between a Distributed Denial of Service and lots of people going to your site at the same time (perhaps because they'd all seen the link here)?
 Skyhook 09 Apr 2004
In reply to innes: Loads and loads of ICMP Destination Unreachable from hosts all around the world. Especially the Far East.

I can see loads of people viewing the site. That's ok... they are not trying to prevent others from viewing it although of course with my limited bandwidth it does make things a little slow.

This DDoS is an attempt to flood my machine here and so soak up all my bandwidth so that no one could see any of the site.
 David Hooper 09 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook: Have evntually been able to access the site to make my own mind up. thx Skyhook.
The guy does seem to have a genuine love of the outdoors and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. There are real perculiarities in the writing style which dont seem to relate to education. Its the phrasing thats weird. Lots of pictures of young girls!!!!Latent paedo or just childlike and naive? I dont know - I actually like some of his uncool naive sentiments about the outdoors, which I know are very uncool in these cynical times. But it does come across that he has some sort of problems going on especially with the poetry (the bits which aren't plagiarised). Maybe we shouldn't be taking the piss. I dont like the idea of a cyberspace witch hunt. Is it possible to contact the guy and get him to enter into a non threatening discussion on this forum? That would be interesting.
James Jackson 09 Apr 2004
In reply to innes:

Denial Of Service attacks don't close the connection to the web server port, so eventually so many connections are open (hopefully...) to the same server that it runs out of resources (ie memory) and crashes.

Lots of views will show up in the bandwidth logs, but as they are from genuine browsers, the connections will close properly and the system will clean up after itself.
 Skyhook 10 Apr 2004
In reply to David Hooper:
> The guy does seem to have a genuine love of the outdoors...

Well, I'm not sure about that. He seems to crave for admiration from others. SO much so that he wants to lie about his abilities.

> There are real perculiarities in the writing style which dont seem to relate to education. Its the phrasing thats weird.

Yes, I agree.

> Lots of pictures of young girls!!!!Latent paedo or just childlike and naive?

I don't know... I hope it's the latter.

> I dont know - I actually like some of his uncool naive sentiments about the outdoors, which I know are very uncool in these cynical times.

They are not just uncool, they are bizarre!

> But it does come across that he has some sort of problems going on especially with the poetry (the bits which aren't plagiarised). Maybe we shouldn't be taking the piss.

We shouldn't be doing that, I agree.

> I dont like the idea of a cyberspace witch hunt.

No, nor do I. However, I think others should know about this chap. He's unlikely to fool people on this board. However, if I saw him chatting up some girls or trying to convince others of his abilities, I would like to think I would take these people aside and warn them.

Now that others have seen the site perhaps they might do the same.

> Is it possible to contact the guy and get him to enter into a non threatening discussion on this forum? That would be interesting.

And possibly beneficial to him. Though I think it unlikely that he'd see that as anything other than humiliation. Perhaps someone ought to have a heart-to-heart with him. That would be the best ...
 Andy S 10 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook:
What's a 'denial of service' and a 'distributed denial of service'? Is it someone trying to block your website?
James Jackson 10 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy S:

Yeah. Basically it's either spread by people downloading a bit of software and them all running it, or a virus spreads the software without the users knowing. Then what happens is every computer with the software on attempts to download loads and loads of files from a given server, without actually getting through to the stage where file data is transfered. With thousands (or millions, depending on the server configuration) of open connections with no acknowledgement, it's easy to bring a server down as it runs out of memory and processor time.
 sutty 10 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy S:

I wondered if that bingo episode was someone trying it on here.

Some details here;

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/denial_of_service.html

Note this bit;

attempts to prevent a particular individual from accessing a service
 Skyhook 10 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy S:

> What's a 'denial of service' and a 'distributed denial of service'? Is it someone trying to block your website?

Yes, that's what they are trying to do.

These sorts of attacks come in many forms... but a DDoS uses a number of other hosts and networks (badly configured ones) to send out packets to a target host.

The aim is to flood the target so that it cannot form any new connections or can do so only very slowly.
 Skyhook 10 Apr 2004
In reply to James Jackson:

Then what happens is every computer with the software on attempts to download loads and loads of files from a given server, without actually getting through to the stage where file data is transfered.

Fortunately, it wasn't as sophisticated as that. Just loads of ICMP Unreachables from hosts all over the far East
 Andy S 10 Apr 2004
Do you think it could be said individual trying to sabotage Skyhook's site?
 Skyhook 10 Apr 2004
In reply to Andy S:

Well... my tuppence-worth...

It's never happened before... It hasn't been a very "heavy" attack and that suggests a lack of sophistication... At the level I received it is very easy to do.
James Jackson 10 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook:

Those kind of things happen all the time. It's little script kiddies pretending to be real hackers when really all they've got is some shitty command line tool they downloaded of www.iwanttobeabiggrownuphacker.org
 Skyhook 10 Apr 2004

> Those kind of things happen all the time. It's little script kiddies pretending to be real hackers when really all they've got is some shitty command line tool they downloaded of www.iwanttobeabiggrownuphacker.org

Never happened here before. Has been going on most of the day.
 David Hooper 10 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook: As u seem pretty IT literate perhaps u could contact the guy? Is he attacking your site? As some one who has worked long and hard for my instructor quals and have to train really hard to be a mediocre climber I would love to have a "heart to heart" with this guy - he is pretty intriguing, no?
 Skyhook 10 Apr 2004

> As u seem pretty IT literate perhaps u could contact the guy?

Ermmm... I'd rather not! I'm sure there are other people more undestanding and patient than I !!

> Is he attacking your site?

I assume it's him. Or at least someone he knows...

> As some one who has worked long and hard for my instructor quals and have to train really hard to be a mediocre climber I would love to have a "heart to heart" with this guy

Good on you!

> He is pretty intriguing, no?

I don't think so! A bit dangerous, possibly very dangerous. Over on ukcaving they attributing one nasty accident to him.

David Hooper 10 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook: Well maybe he will see all this and get in touch -its been an interesting, entertaining ,informative and somewhat sad and disturbing thread I think - I'll be off to bed now so that I can head down to Wales tomorrow. looking forward to logging back on next week to see if this saga continues or Andrew gets in touch. Ciao
 Skyhook 10 Apr 2004
Ok... I'm taking the pages off now...

Remember... You can email me for the site and I'll send it to you as an attachment.
Dave Schuldt 10 Apr 2004
Over here in the US we have our own nut case "climber".
Enjoy! http://www.mountainspeedclimbing.org/
For more on this subject do a search on cascadeclimbers.com
OP Anonymous 10 Apr 2004
for anyone who missed his Ben Nevis page there seems to be an identical one at http://www.scotclimb.org.uk/bennevis.shtml definately not just the poems he's copied
Alex Masters 10 Apr 2004
Although his Tiscali site has gone down, the site for the Shanghai Mountaineering Club remains up, at http://members.tripod.com/smwc2001/mainpage.html
Apparently it is "The club for those who are "slightly" mad!" which appears to be worryingly apt.

I love the idea of it being an elaborately constructed troll, but he has been planning for a long time if it is. For example, he has a Yahoo profile dating back to 2002, as well as posts on Psion sites from the same date. He signs these posts with INSR, and does mention his alleged search and rescue credentials there.
Graham McKenzie 10 Apr 2004
In reply to Alex Masters:
> Although his Tiscali site has gone down, the site for the Shanghai Mountaineering Club remains up, at

And it would appear that someone has signed the guest book (not me!)

Graham
OP toby 10 Apr 2004

He also seems to have written a book:

Ben Nevis, The Sexiest Mountain In the UK!
By Andrew Moorhouse. Information about selected routes and a good map

Found at this site:

http://ari.rdx.net/abc/mountains/british.htm#glencoe.
Alex Masters 10 Apr 2004
In reply to toby:
I think that the link is referencing his website rather than a book.
Joe Mansfield 10 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook:
hi ive emailed you, can you send me the site please?
thanks!
 Skyhook 10 Apr 2004
Ok... Once more!

By popular demand, here it is !

http://www.skyhook.ath.cx/myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andrewmoorhouse/

Up for a few hours more!
 David Hooper 10 Apr 2004
In reply to Skyhook: Can we get it linked to the BMC website please oh please.......Andrew is God
OP Anonymous 11 Apr 2004

"Maybe we shouldn't be taking the piss. I dont like the idea of a cyberspace witch hunt."

Hear hear! this guy obviously has poblems and we all know that he has caused damage to others. So maybe leaving him alone knowing that the right peole know about him is the best thing?
OP Anonymous 12 Apr 2004
Danjou 13 Apr 2004
Again i got to the thread too late, is this guys site still up and running anywhere, i need a good laugh.

Paul
OP Anonymous 13 Apr 2004
In reply to Danjou: Still seems to be down.

Has he replied to any e-mails yet?
OP Anonymous 13 Apr 2004
Ogre riposte 13 Apr 2004

> Meds such as Heminevrin, Haloperidol & Midazolam (sic) should be prescribed asap.

Yes, this guy's site is a frightening and a more than a little sad.

But "I'm-oh-so-clever" prescription by proxy is at best egotistical and at worse dangerous.

You obviously know what these drugs can do so I'm all the more surprised.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...