UKC

NEWS: Anyone can press the shutter, but only the talented....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 20 Nov 2008
Anyone can press the shutter, but only the talented can take a photograph.

Check out the UKClimbing.com Photo Gallery for the Top 10 Photos of the week, of all time, and the top galleries at Weekly Top 10 Photos & Galleries

Bags of talent, inspiration, motivation and ideas...........

See more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=11&year=2008#n45455
 Tall Clare 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

I like the provocative title!

<puts pedant hat on>

I'd argue that anyone can take a photograph, it's about taking a *good* photograph.

<takes pedant hat off>

there's some great shots - any chance we can have a 'favourites' option so we can find our favourites easily? (I know I could bookmark them, but thought I'd ask anyway!)
 Simon Caldwell 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
While we're on the subject of favourites, I'd like a way of marking my favourites from my own gallery in some way, with some sort of option to view other photographers' own favourites. There are so many new photos being uploaded these days that some really good ones can get missed. I've got several pictures in my gallery (good bad and indifferent) which have no votes at all.

Not sure if the above makes sense
 Martin Davies 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Why is it that so many of the top rated photographs are of winter climbing/winter landscapes?
Is it easier to take a stunning photo of a winter scene in the Alps say that an equally stunning photograph of a summer scene in the Lake District?
Personally I think it is easier to take good photo's of winter scenes than of summer scenes.
Agree? M
 Tall Clare 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:

oo, another request - would it be possible, if you were to consider the 'favourites' thing I mentioned above, to also add a box showing that a photo had, say, two comments?

Oli 20 Nov 2008
In reply to Tall Clare:
> I'd argue that anyone can take a photograph, it's about taking a *good* photograph.
>

Surely everyone can take a good photograph every now and then, if you take enough frames, it's consistently producing good pictures that's the hard bit...
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 20 Nov 2008

......, the lucky and those in the right place at the right time, get the shot!

Chris
 ChrisJD 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Chris Craggs:

As the old adage goes:

"the more I practice the luckier I get"
 Chris F 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Why is there a link to the news page?
potted shrimp 21 Nov 2008
In reply to Tall Clare: on the contrary...Mick means that only the talented can take a photograph worthy the name of a photograph. And why do you think being precise with language is pedantic..why the apparent embarrassment?
 The Pylon King 21 Nov 2008

Anyone can stand in a stunning setting and take a stunning picture - its all done for you. The true 'art' in photography is seeing something special in a relatively ordinary setting and capturing it.
 Tall Clare 21 Nov 2008
In reply to potted shrimp:
> (In reply to Tall Clare) on the contrary...Mick means that only the talented can take a photograph worthy the name of a photograph.

a photograph is an object. Anyone can take one. The term 'photograph' is not a comment on its quality.

> And why do you think being precise with language is pedantic..why the apparent embarrassment?

because Mick makes me nervous so I thought I'd couch my provocations in excuses. I know, I am weak.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...