UKC

NEWS: Climbing Works International Festival returns this weekend

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Mar 2020
Melissa La Neve Celebrating at the Rab CWIF

In this landmark year for climbing as the sport prepares to make its debut at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games; Sheffield's internationally renowned bouldering competition, the Climbing Works International Festival (CWIF) will this weekend welcome amateur, professional and for the first time Olympic qualified climbers to compete side by side.

Read more
In reply to UKC News:

Looking forward to it!

balnakiel 12 Mar 2020
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Sadly this is exactly the type of event which should not be happening. Packed audience, indoor space competitors form all over the country and rest of the world all touching stuff. If people havent noticed we are probably about 10 days away from an Italy situation. If it were simply risk to oneself then fine people can take a chance if they feel strongly but disease spreads exponentially (its is thought one infected person infects on average 3 others) so 3 becomes 9 becomes 81 becomes 6500. Think about your granny of not yourself.

Sorry everyone. I'm not usually like this honestly. But I have several very vulnerable family members and its hard not to get concerned about where this is going to end up given the NHS can barley cope as it is.

Neil Williams 12 Mar 2020
In reply to balnakiel:

Follow Government advice.  They have not yet advised that such events should be cancelled.  If/when they do, the cancellations will follow.

If of course you have more vulnerable family members you can and should take your own personal actions.  But that is not a reason for others to take them.

We will *not* stop its progress.  The measures are to slow it down to manageable levels for the NHS.

balnakiel 12 Mar 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

Wish I shared your faith in Government. We need to think for ourselves. As climbers we juge risk and make decisions we dont wait to be told. They are terrified of the economic costs and too slow and behind the curve. What seemed like madness 10 days prior starts to look too late very quickly. If you need convincing read the front line accounts from Italian medics and experts. They are practically begging us to take measures on non-vital travel and gathering while they might just still be effective.

neilh 12 Mar 2020

Well it is competitors only, at least that it sensible.

In reply to balnakiel:

> Wish I shared your faith in Government.

I have faith in PHE (civil service) and they do seem to be effectively calling the shots, Bojo is just repeating what they say plus his own rubbish.

deepsoup 12 Mar 2020

> Bojo is just repeating what they say

Brexiters telling us to trust the experts, strange days indeed.

In reply to deepsoup:

> Brexiters telling us to trust the experts, strange days indeed.

I voted Remain, as you always seem to fail to believe.

deepsoup 12 Mar 2020

Oops, touched a nerve there did I?  Sorry, I meant Bojo not you. 

On the subject of what you've had to say about it I didn't just fail to believe, I failed to remember!

Lemony 12 Mar 2020
In reply to balnakiel:

> As climbers we juge risk and make decisions we dont wait to be told.

This seems to be the UKC equivalent of "Speaking as a mother". I can't see how the ability to judge risk whilst climbing translates even slightly into epidemiology - other to give an inflated sense of our capabilities.

In reply to deepsoup:

Ah sorry maybe I remembered the wrong person.  I do know that there's one person on here who believes I'm a Leaver because I am quite critical of some elements of the EU but voted Remain pragmatically ("least worst").  Apologies if it wasn't you!

balnakiel 12 Mar 2020
In reply to Lemony:

Ha ha. I wouldnt claim to have any particular wisdom. I am a scientist by training but I dont really need to draw on that to come to the conclusion that hundereds of people travelling the world to smear their hands over stuff in a room is not worth the ****ing risk at the early stages of a very virulent epidemic. I am in awe of experts but all I meant was we all need to be thinking for ourselves too and climbers in my experience are good at weighing up risk and making the right choice. Second only to mothers maybe. Anyway I see some sense has prevailed and its competitors only now.

deepsoup 12 Mar 2020

> Apologies if it wasn't you!

I'm not saying it wasn't, genuinely don't have a scooby.  Senility beckons!

In reply to deepsoup:

> I'm not saying it wasn't, genuinely don't have a scooby.  Senility beckons!

planetmarshall 12 Mar 2020

> Follow Government advice.  They have not yet advised that such events should be cancelled.  If/when they do, the cancellations will follow.

Well, the trouble is that the Government may not necessarily be following the Scientific advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...