UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Lords of Trad | Adam Ondra, Pete Whittaker and Will Bosi

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 06 Oct 2023

Adam Ondra, Pete Whittaker, and Will Bosi explore the unique ethics and hard trad lines of Adršpach, Czech Republic.

Read more

CragRat11 06 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Best climbing film I've seen in ages. Stunning place, great music, proper adventures and some important heritage to tie it all together. Brill.

Good to see the best climbers in the world getting schooled too...

Tony & Sarah 06 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC 

For us this video shows the true flavour of Czech sandstone. We have been very lucky to have climbed on many occasions, the feeling of reaching the summit is incredible. Almost like an alpine summit.

Tony & Sarah

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 07 Oct 2023
In reply to CragRat11:

I agree, that was class. 

McHeath 07 Oct 2023
In reply to Tony & Sarah:

> In reply to UKC 

>  Almost like an alpine summit.

Almost? Better!

Great film! My two favourite Adam quotes: 1. (about Aliens): Pete: Do these things actually work then? “I don’t know, I’ve never placed one”. And 2: “I don’t place knots, I just clip the rings and run it out”. 

There’s an Easter egg too. When Adam takes a biggish fall while being watched by the 1st ascentionist (1961?), you hear a single sentence in Czech which doesn’t have a subtitle. Apparently it means “D’you wanna beer?”

simes303 07 Oct 2023

That was brilliant.

Si.

olidea 07 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Loved it - between Adam running it out and that horrific looking flared chimney, that was excellent viewing!

john arran 07 Oct 2023
In reply to olidea:

I felt a bit sorry for Will. A bit like inviting Usain Bolt to a fell race!

Simon Pelly 07 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Really enjoyed this. Stunning scenery and loved the relaxing nature of the film, even though gripped at the same time.

One thing caught my eye which did no understand. Around 18:57 it looks like there are two quickdraws on the same ring, both threaded with the lead rope. Any ideas why two quickdraws

In reply to UKC News:

Absolutely incredible - what those Czech guys were doing right back in the 1960s and with so little protection. That rounded open chimney groove looks about as hard as climbing of that type comes. To see just how much Adam Ondra struggled on it spoke volumes. It would be interesting to know just what English sandstone grade it would get on a top rope. 7a?

Darkinbad 07 Oct 2023
In reply to Simon Pelly:

The way quick draws hang on a big ring (I.e. with gate facing out) means the rope is prone to unclip itself in a fall. Two quick draws, with opposing gates, avoids this. And it's not like you need a lot of quick draws on these routes...

Cog 07 Oct 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> Absolutely incredible - what those Czech guys were doing right back in the 1960s and with so little protection.  

They were climbing E2 in the 1920s, a long time before the Brits.

Cog 07 Oct 2023
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

And E3 in the 1930s.

Spanish Jack 09 Oct 2023
In reply to john arran:

Found it showed his character in a beautiful light, not taking himselft too seriously, no inflated ego.

Spanish Jack 09 Oct 2023
In reply to Darkinbad:

Good that you mention that. I actually had the rope unclip just like that on a wire. The gate facing in on the rock it can actually open on impact, thus two draws is a good shout.

Mike-W-99 09 Oct 2023
In reply to UKC News:

More from the same trip  youtube.com/watch?v=z8vDHIioev0&

McHeath 09 Oct 2023
In reply to john arran:

That’s a great comparison. I also felt kind of sorry for Will: he’s hardly a Lord of Trad, but I’m sure he enjoyed himself immensely. Didn’t want to write that in my first post, I have immense respect for him and his achievements, but you put it brilliantly in a nutshell for us. Thanks!

Post edited at 23:12
 Darkinbad 10 Oct 2023
In reply to olidea:

> Loved it - between Adam running it out and that horrific looking flared chimney, that was excellent viewing!

Indeed. There's no denying that he's got a long neck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...