UKC

INTERVIEW: Pete Whittaker on Rope-Soloing in Squamish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 09 Aug 2016
Pete Whittaker in Squamish, 3 kbPete Whittaker recently returned from a three-week trip to Squamish, in British Columbia, Canada. Normally associated with hard crack climbs and Tom Randall, this time around Pete was out there on his own - practising rope solo techniques. Having barely any experience of using the technique prior to his trip, Pete impressively came away with fast multi-route rope-solo climbs, including two separate triple-route ascents on the 2,303ft granite monolith the Squamish Chief in under 24 hours.

Read more
 philhilo 09 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Interesting Pete says he is never tied in. Usually when rope soloing you tie in periodically as a back up - if the solo device goes belly up then ultimately you stop at the knot. I guess when speed climbing it's a decision you take to save time.
In reply to UKC News:

I recently did Roof Route in Burbage South ( Roof Route (VS 4c) ) as rope solo lead. I probably used similar system to what Pete was using because I was freaking out about clipping free hanging end of rope. Did a rope solo multi pitch on Zamarla Turnia in Polish Tatras ( Zamarła Turnia#maps) in 1993 and did not tie in periodically ... It was too much faff on free climbing even on short route
 lithos 09 Aug 2016
In reply to philhilo:

but you don't tie into the *end of the rope* (as far as i understand it, it's in a pack , on your back or at a belay )
unlike normal climbing
 philhilo 09 Aug 2016
In reply to lithos:

True, if 'tying in' is tying on to the end of the rope then true you don't - unless you get to the end. Otherwise yes the other end is firmly attached to the belay!
 zimpara 10 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Great little article
 Finlandia 18 Aug 2016
In reply to UKC News:

Nice article! It would be good to have more detail on Pete's system - he's clearly thought about this carefully and got a system that works quickly and effectively...
And first rope solo Happy Hart at Curbar? Joke?
 Jon Read 18 Aug 2016
In reply to beginner1:
> And first rope solo Happy Hart at Curbar? Joke?

Wouldn't it be the second ascent?! Would be an obvious target for PW I'd have thought.

maxsmith 18 Aug 2016
In reply to beginner1:

Yeah I'd also like to hear more about his rope soloing system. I'm guessing he's using gear not made by his sponsors , so maybe that explains the lack of detail?
 David Coley 18 Aug 2016
In reply to maxsmith:

> Yeah I'd also like to hear more about his rope soloing system.

Me too. I've also roped soled one of the routes he did in Squamish, but it took me three days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...