UKC

NEWS: Sébastien Berthe flashes Le Voyage, E10 7a

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Apr 2023

Yesterday we reported that Le Voyage had received three ascents in just two days. Today, we learned that one of those three ascents, that of Sébastien Berthe, was a flash. 

Read more

In reply to UKC News:

Wtaf... Is that the hardest trad flash ever?

remus Global Crag Moderator 12 Apr 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

> Wtaf... Is that the hardest trad flash ever?

One of them. The other obvious contender would be Alex Megos' flash of The Path in 2016.

Andy Moles 12 Apr 2023
In reply to pancakeandchips:

Alex Megos flashed The Path, which on paper is the same grade (5.14a or 8b+ on gear), but I don't know of anything else at that level. Also no idea of how detailed their respective beta was, as of course a 'flash' covers a bit of a spectrum.

Anyway very cool. If there was a cool climber list in 2023, Séb Berthe would be one of the first names on it.

colin8ll 12 Apr 2023
In reply to Andy Moles:

Pete Whittaker's flash of La Fuerza de la Gravedad must be pretty close too at 8b/8b+ (5.13d/5.14a). 

Robert Durran 12 Apr 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Are all these flashes done placing gear on lead? It must potentially make a huge difference.

remus Global Crag Moderator 12 Apr 2023
In reply to colin8ll:

> Pete Whittaker's flash of La Fuerza de la Gravedad must be pretty close too at 8b/8b+ (5.13d/5.14a). 

Good shout. There's also Pete's flash of Ronny Medelsvensson which I think is 8b or so.

Andy Moles 12 Apr 2023
In reply to Robert Durran:

There's at least one cam on his harness in the photo. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't place the gear on lead, he seems to be into doing things in good style (first ground up freeing of The Nose, El Niño very nearly on-sight in a day, all having sailed to Yosemite from Europe...)

TobyA 13 Apr 2023
In reply to Andy Moles:

> all having sailed to Yosemite from Europe...)

All the way around to the West Coast, or over to the east coast and then other non flight transport over to Yosemite?

Either way, rather impressive!

I'm presuming this is for environmental reasons? Of course he could just be a keen sailor also!

Andy Moles 13 Apr 2023
In reply to TobyA:

Sailed to the Gulf of Mexico from Spain I think. And back! Possibly never having sailed before IIRC? He did an interview about it on one of the American podcasts, Enormocast maybe, it's worth a listen.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...