UKC

NEWS: The new Classic Rock....Available Next Week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 14 Sep 2007
At last, what many have been waiting for is now available.

Read, a little bit more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
 ray 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: The guy from Cordee says it is £32, on their website it is £25. http://www.cordee.co.uk/CNC011.php
Clauso 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
>
> At last, what many have been waiting for is now available.

Really!?!?! ... Is it really now a pop-up book that allows you to colour it in!?!

I'm going to order my copy as soon as possible... This is precisely the area where Rockfax have missed a marketing opportunity.
 Chris F 14 Sep 2007
>>
> Read, a little bit more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/

Only a tiny little bit mind.

rginns 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Is this a pure reprint, or will the grades represent current grades? They have shifted somewhat...

JimmAwelon 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: A good book - all they could do is sort out a few grades and get a few more recent piccys in there. Some of the old grainy ones have to be kept particularly if they were during the FA but some of them are rubbish.

I guess Hard Rock would be next so my comments are as above but if they consider redoing Extreme Rock they need a whole bunch more good essays and most of the photos!
In reply to ray: £18.75 from waterstones online
 Darron 14 Sep 2007
I'm only buying a copy if they promise to chuck the printing plates away afterwards like they did with EX Rock!
Stephen Reid 14 Sep 2007
It's going to be £32. I'd be most surprised if Waterstones can really supply it for £18.75 as they seem to be under an illusion that it is going to retail for £25. It is far more than a reprint. Loads of new photos and stacks of well researched info on the early history of climbing. In fact the sort of book that virtually no-one except for Ken Wilson could have compiled.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Why did they redon Classic Rock? It is worst in the entire series, a reprint of hard rock of cold climbs, preferable with new route, essays and photos would be much more fun.
Stephen Reid 14 Sep 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: Probably because it sells far better than any of the others.
Ian Hill 14 Sep 2007

£32 down to £30.40 on Amazon
 steve taylor 14 Sep 2007
In reply to JimmAwelon:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
...> I guess Hard Rock would be next so my comments are as above but if they consider redoing Extreme Rock they need a whole bunch more good essays and most of the photos!

Well, one of the authors of ER now has some spare time on his hands - in fact he could be out shooting Steve McClure or Dave McLeod on something hard as I type...
In reply to steve taylor: at this time? I doubt it!
 Enty 14 Sep 2007

I just bought one from Waterstones at £18.75.

The Ent ™
In reply to Stephen Reid:

Is the list of routes the same or are there some different ones? Is it worth buying if I already have the first edition?
 Mutl3y 15 Sep 2007
In reply to Enty: Me too. Hope they honour it...
 Enty 15 Sep 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:

Yes, what are the laws about this? It's marked up at £18.75 and I went right through the order process with an order confirmation e mail arriving just afterwards.

The Ent ™
J1234 15 Sep 2007
In reply to Enty:
Slightly ambiguous.
I think it is a part of English law that you cannot profit from someone else's genuine mistake.
If a shop puts something in a window at an incorrect price accidentally they do not have to sell it you at that price, it`s called offer for sale and acceptance of offer.
However Waterstones have offered the book for £18.75 and you and I have offered £18.75, does the online confirmation constitute acceptance of the offer legally. Have you read Waterstones terms and conditions? No neither have I and I`m not going to because I`m taking my dog for a walk. I`ll just wait for the postman.
Cheers Beds
 Mike C 15 Sep 2007
In reply to J1234:

Invitation to tender is the correct term.

No one has to sell at a displayed price, but I believe that once they accept your offer of that price then they are bound by it. Unless they have some sort of getout clause built in I would imagine that they will honour it.
 hamsforlegs 15 Sep 2007

Correct post above.

At a supermarket they can ignore their advertised price, as the 'offer of sale' is made at the checkout, and at that point they can choose to correct an error and make a more expensive offer.

Once they've offered and all parties have accepted, however, then they are obliged to supply.

It's not really enforceable though. If they renege, then the only damage you have incurred is the cost of the book, which they will obviously just refund. This means that there's no damage associated with the breach of the contract, and therefore there's not really any liability.

Mark
 dunkindonuts 16 Sep 2007
In reply to amanonaspeedingbike: I just noticed that on Waterstones it is described as a 2006 reprint. Though they also mention 200 new photos. So assume this is the latest reprint you are discussing and not a clearout of old editions. Any idea if route descriptions been amended vis a vis rock falls etc?

I loved the original book and can't remember doing a bad classic rock route.
 Mutl3y 16 Sep 2007
In reply to amanonaspeedingbike: In the email from Waterstones:
"This email does not act as a contract between Waterstone’s and yourself. The contract will not be formed until Waterstone’s charges your credit card at the point of despatch of the goods. We will send you an email to let you know the goods have been despatched to you, and your offer has been accepted."

So it's not a deal until they charge my card.
 fizz 18 Sep 2007

Tried to pre-order with Waterstones yesterday with the book priced at £18.75 but the website was having 'problems processing my request'. Funnily enough today it now costs £32. Grrr think I will wait and see what happens next before donating them an extra £13 - unlucky for some huh?!
 Mutl3y 20 Sep 2007
In reply to boardtc: Rubbish. And my card still hasn't been charged so there's no telling if they'll honour the order I put in. This sucks. If I had known they'd just go back on their word I would have bought from amazon already.
 Sean Kelly 20 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Yes, I aggree that updating 'Cold Climbs' would be a good move as so much has changed in that time, what with a new grading system, apart from the massive rise in standards since the original book appeared. And hopefully much more colour.
 Cam Forrest 22 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Just checked Waterstones website re my pre-publication order for a single copy. Came up "no orders outstanding". Tried to check further and found my account password apparently cancelled, but there were two copies at £32 showing in my basket! I don't believe these would have been processed as the website said my credit card details which they had stored were deleted when they had cancelled my password.

Understandable that the order is not being honoured, but a bit annoying none the less as I could have picked up a copy yesterday (- not in Waterstones!).
 Mutl3y 22 Sep 2007
In reply to Cam Forrest: Just checked my Waterstones status and it says "Your order has been completely shipped". I've still got my fingers crossed...
 practicalcat 22 Sep 2007
In reply to Mutl3y:
same here.....
In reply to Mutl3y:

same here too
 StuLade 23 Sep 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Amazon now seem to be selling it for 19.99 here;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hard-Rock-British-Climbs-Yourself/dp/0906371740/ref...

think it's the right ISBN to go with new edition.
 StuLade 23 Sep 2007
In reply to StuLade: My mistake, that would be the Hard rock which isn't available yet. Classic rock is still at a ball busting £32.
 Bob 23 Sep 2007
In reply to StuLade:

There was a copy of the new Classic Rock (shrink wrapped) in Inglesports yesterday. And, yes it was £32

boB
In reply to Mutl3y:

Has yours arrived yet? Mine hasn't. Seems to be taking a long time if it was shipped at the end of last week.
 foggieclimber 25 Sep 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell: No still not arrived and still saying order shipped.
 Enty 25 Sep 2007

Mine says shipped, might have arrived but me dads not home so I don't know.

The Ent ™
 Bristoldave 25 Sep 2007
Mine's not arrived either
 full stottie 25 Sep 2007

Mine arrived today Tuesday am, and its looking very good!
 Colin Moody 25 Sep 2007
In reply to full stottie:
A very large picture of Sron Na Ciche is a fine start.

Ken left me a copy in my front garden wrapped in a poly bag when I was away this w/e.

It's very big, very heavy ... I haven't quite come to terms with it yet.
 The Pylon King 26 Sep 2007
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Is there a new picture of two people soloing Flying Buttress at stanage?
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Ordered mine from Waterstones, still no sign of it...maybe ill give them a call today
OP Michael Ryan 26 Sep 2007
In reply to carrot_boy:

Where is Ken Wilson's Classic Rock website?

Selling the book direct to us?

Mick
 Phil Anderson 26 Sep 2007
In reply to The Pylon King:

Yes I think so (from memory). Why? One of them you?
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> Is there a new picture of two people soloing Flying Buttress at stanage?

Yes.

His Baton Wicks website does not appear to have been updated: still features the previous £22 edition.
 FedUp 26 Sep 2007

> Ken left me a copy in my front garden wrapped in a poly bag when I was away this w/e.

Same here. It is rather big isn't it! I like it though; it's a nice book and loaded with pics (of me!), and may well inspire more people to get out and tick them - however puerile that may be!
In reply to FedUp:

>
> .. and may well inspire more people to get out and tick them - however puerile that may be!

Nothing wrong with being puerile as long as you're enjoying life!

Big Waterstone's parcel just arrived...
 FedUp 26 Sep 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell:

Oh I agree! I was being sarcastic, and ironic I suppose, as I've done 68 of them.
In reply to FedUp:

I think I've done approx 35, if you count ones like Avalanche/RedWall/Longland's as three. But I'm starting again and I'll do a blog this time.
 FedUp 26 Sep 2007

> if you count ones like Avalanche/RedWall/Longland's as three

I think it's two routes. Ken appears to describe them as such and according to the current Lliwedd guide, Red Wall & Longland's Continuation is a single route; though doubtless it was two seperate routes originally.
In reply to carrot_boy and Enty:

Thanks for your tip-off. I've definitely only been invoiced £18.75 even though it says £32 in the book and the photos in the updated book are excellent.
> (In reply to The Pylon King)
> [...]
>
>
> Yes.

yippee, one of those people is me!!!

francois 26 Sep 2007
It seems to retail for £32 now at Waterstone's.
 FedUp 26 Sep 2007

Famous mate! I'm on the tip of Napes Needle! Cool eh?
 foggieclimber 26 Sep 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell: Good to hear you have received the book from Waterstones. Still awaiting my one, hasn't arrived today.
 caminoaustral 26 Sep 2007
21.91 inc p+p at browseforbooks.com isbn 1898573700
A
In reply to FedUp:
> (In reply to The Pylon King)
>
> Famous mate! I'm on the tip of Napes Needle! Cool eh?

Well done

thats me halfway up flying buttress

just had a quick look at one in waterstones

Did you get a free copy because you are in it?

if so i better get onto Myr wilson about my copy!

FedUp 26 Sep 2007

You're really clear on it too. I think I got a free signed copy because he used seven of my pics, as opposed to me being in it, but it's nice all the same.

In reply to FedUp:

ok cool i better had go and buy it then!!

In reply to FedUp:

btw still keen to get out sometime - maybe n wales - you still got any days?
 Mystery Toad 26 Sep 2007

(Shudder).
Can't read "classic rock" without grimacing.
We've got these radio stations out here that are still playing Aqualung (grinds teeth).
 The Bantam 26 Sep 2007

But I ALREADY have this book. Now I have to decide whether I want another copy...

Waahahaaahahaaa! How could I have not realised that there is a Robin Smith route in it before? Yippeeee! I always thought all his were too hard for me. Oh happy day
 Calder 26 Sep 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell: Which route?
In reply to Calder:

The Clean Sweep, Vs 5a, page 233.
 Calder 26 Sep 2007
In reply to Alison Stockwell: The page is irrelevent because I don't have the book, but thanks.
 FedUp 26 Sep 2007

Nice one! Email when you're available as I can plan more easily with plenty of notice. Although I'll slot in when shifts and family allow on the spur of the moment too. I'll look forward to it.
 MG 26 Sep 2007
> (In reply to Calder)
>
> The Clean Sweep, Vs 5a, page 233.

That's on my list, if you are looking for a partner ever.

Allan Young 26 Sep 2007

Mine arrived tonight, hand-delivered by Ken Wilson himself! With a nice hand-written message on the inside and signed by KW.

And it only cost me £23! Just in time for a trip this weekend to attempt one of the more remote routes.

It will take pride of place on my bookshelf, it's superb. Thanks and well-done Ken.
 The Mole 27 Sep 2007
Mine arrived yesterday from Waterstones (well it's at the RM depot waiting for me) and I've been charged 18.75 thanks for the tip off
Oli Beesley 27 Sep 2007

Nice one mate. But am I in it? Ken was taking pictures of me on Central Climb, Hen Cloud. Probably with my belay partner almost asleep on belay. Nice sunny day. Anyone able to confirm?
In reply to MG:

Thanks, that's a kind offer. Actually Tasha and I are planning to do them all together but you are welcome to join us as long as you don't mind not leading any of it. We'll definitely be in touch when we're coming up.
In reply to Oli Beesley:

Have you got an enormous nose and incredibly hairy armpits?
In reply to Oli Beesley:

Just teasing. pink/red climbing shoes, long fawn trousers, salmon top, no sleeves?

Yep I reckon so.
Oli Beesley 27 Sep 2007

Hmmm. Not sure. Leading or seconding?
 Skyfall 28 Sep 2007
I've got mine!

<runs around waving book above head and out of reach!>

sutty 28 Sep 2007
In reply to JonC:

you must have regained all your strength then.
 Skyfall 28 Sep 2007
In reply to sutty:

I was never *that* weak
 sutty 28 Sep 2007
In reply to JonC:

Did you see this about Alice Roberts doing her PHd on rotator cuff disease?

http://news.independent.co.uk/people/profiles/article2609243.ece

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...