UKC

Chin up bar cups?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fat Tim 28 Jun 2015
Hi all

I have decided to get strong!
I dug out my finger board and chin up bar. I can't find the cups that screw into the door frame for my chin up bar anywhere, and since a friend's girl friend broke her back when using a chin up bar without them I am not going to put it up with something to keep it where its supposed to be!
Anyone got any ideas on where to get some from or what to use as a subsitute?

Cheers inadvance
Tim
 Wsdconst 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Fat Tim:

Lids off jars ?
 Cake 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Fat Tim:

Just get the finger board out? I've never heard of any good climbed recommending a pull up bar. You can just do pull ups on the board
 NorthernGrit 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Fat Tim:

Make a cradle type of arrangement out of some bits of wood.
In reply to NorthernGrit:

^ This

Get a piece of wood about a foot long and an inch thick, and at least an inch wider than your pull up bar fitting. In the exact centre of the wood, draw round one end of the bar. Find a drill bit about 0-3mm wider and cut the circle out. Saw the wood in half transversely, to get two six-inch bits of wood, each with a semi-circular notch. Screw to doorframe.

If the bar rotates a bit, well - you did want to get strong (there are easy fixes to this).
OP Fat Tim 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Cake:
The jugs on the finger board are not that juggy. The fingerboard is up and being used, but I want to do more. Both chin ups (warm up for fingerboarding) and abs stuff that requires holding on for longer than I want to on the fingerboard.
OP Fat Tim 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Martin not maisie:

I had to read your post a few times but I got it! Cheers, will do this!
 Marcus B 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Fat Tim:

there is usually a hole in each end of the pull up bar. Put a couple of fat screws into the door frame and expand the bar so the holes go over the screws. Nice and easy and secure.
OP Fat Tim 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Marcus Brewer:

That is a great idea!
Sorry Martin not maisie I'm gonna go with this idea!
I got some perfect screws for this the other day.
 pencilled in 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Fat Tim:

Good luck getting strong, mate. A new one costs £12.99. Could you order one and send it back because it did not contain the door-frame cups?

http://tinyurl.com/nnde9ft
 ERU 30 Jun 2015
In reply to nick ingram:

> Good luck getting strong, mate. A new one costs £12.99. Could you order one and send it back because it did not contain the door-frame cups?

DON'T buy this. I've heard of quite a few stories, one from a once famous female, of this bar popping off and people falling badly onto the base/coxis of their spine ... and resulting in paralysis ...

Make sure your pull-up bar has 'no chance' of coming off.
 pencilled in 30 Jun 2015
In reply to ERU:

> DON'T buy this. I've heard of quite a few stories, one from a once famous female, of this bar popping off and people falling badly onto the base/coxis of their spine ... and resulting in paralysis ...

> Make sure your pull-up bar has 'no chance' of coming off.

I was suggesting he nicked the cups and sent it back. But I agree, this model will fail if not fixed correctly or extended properly.
 Rob Parsons 01 Jul 2015
In reply to nick ingram:

> I was suggesting he nicked the cups and sent it back.

We know you were. Delightful.

Is it your general policy to steal things?
 stp 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Fat Tim:

I just use a short bit of wood with a hole drilled the same diameter as the bar. The hole is about half way through the wood. When you tighten the bar up the load is then more spread out over the door frame. You can screw these wood pieces to the the door frame with a couple of screws, one above and one below the hole. I think its far more secure than cups that come with pull up bars too.
 pencilled in 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Rob Parsons:

No. Is it yours to ignore obvious amorality in lighthearted suggestions and offer judgement wherever you can. Good luck with that strategy. x
 Fraser 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Fat Tim:
I'd definitely go with the solid timber surround with circular cut-outs, not the quick'n'easy 'beefy' screws into the door frame, but each to their own.

PS Let us know what time visiting hours are...

Edit: have you seen the latest Volkswagen adverts?
youtube.com/watch?v=8gb7cwg3rBY&
Post edited at 13:12
 DancingOnRock 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Fat Tim:

You don't need to have circular cuts in the wood. They can be just a V shape.

I've never fitted my cups but I'm always careful to keep my legs below me.
 Rob Parsons 01 Jul 2015
In reply to nick ingram:
> Is it yours to ignore obvious amorality in lighthearted suggestions ...

That phrase doesn't make any sense.

> Good luck with that strategy.

There's no strategy; I just don't like cheats.

But if you're saying that you were just joking with your suggestion, then fair enough.
Post edited at 22:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...